Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking all over the forums for about an hour and can't seem to find anyone who is having the same problem as I am. My passenger window (2005 V6 conv. mustang) catches the edge of the top when door is opened. The window does automatically drop down and pop up when the door is opened or closed, but it doesn't drop down enough. The corner of the window is where it catches the top. It's so bad that it's actually tearing up the top and wearing it down. Is there anything I can do to fix this? It's kind of embarrassing to have someone ask for rides in my car, and I have to reply, "hold on, let me roll down the window before you get in," haha.

Also, a few things you might need to know to answer this question:

a.) Yes, I pull the handle, wait for the window to drop, then open the door (so no, I am not just opening the door to fast).
b.) I had the top replaced in January of 2009, but it did the same thing to the original top also, so I do not think it is because of the top.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Have you tried the window reset procedure? With the window open and the door closed, close the window and hold it for 2 seconds after it stalls. Lower the window and hold the button for 2 seconds after it stalls.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Have you tried the window reset procedure? With the window open and the door closed, close the window and hold it for 2 seconds after it stalls. Lower the window and hold the button for 2 seconds after it stalls.
+1 on this. The window reset should solve your problems.

F

·
0 Posts
I have been looking all over the forums for about an hour and can't seem to find anyone who is having the same problem as I am. My passenger window (2005 V6 conv. mustang) catches the edge of the top when door is opened. The window does automatically drop down and pop up when the door is opened or closed, but it doesn't drop down enough. The corner of the window is where it catches the top. It's so bad that it's actually tearing up the top and wearing it down. Is there anything I can do to fix this? It's kind of embarrassing to have someone ask for rides in my car, and I have to reply, "hold on, let me roll down the window before you get in," haha.

Also, a few things you might need to know to answer this question:

a.) Yes, I pull the handle, wait for the window to drop, then open the door (so no, I am not just opening the door to fast).
b.) I had the top replaced in January of 2009, but it did the same thing to the original top also, so I do not think it is because of the top.
Hello ARMANDhammer8,

Here’s the info on the re-calibration from your owner’s manual:

Short drop glass (Front windows only)
In order to improve door efforts and sealing, your vehicle is equipped
with short drop glass. This feature lowers the glass when either door is
opened. The glass returns to its closed position when the door is closed.
Proper operation of the short drop glass requires that the windows be
calibrated. Though your windows will have been calibrated before
your vehicle is delivered to you, it is possible for the windows to
lose calibration. If a window loses its calibration, your short drop
feature will lower the window, but will not raise it again when the door is
closed. To re-calibrate the window, pull the switch up to raise the
window until it completes its travel and hold the switch up for 2
seconds. Another possible effect of lost calibration is that the feature
may not lower the window. To re-calibrate the window in this case, lower
the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2
seconds. Immediately after releasing the window down switch, pull the
switch up to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the
switch up for 2 seconds. Perform Short drop re-calibration with
doors closed only. Re-Calibrating with doors open will cause the
window to continuously bounce back.

I hope this helps.

Deysha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the help. While this may be a goofy question, I'd rather be safe than sorry: This window reset will not have any effect on my custom tune, correct? I just want to make sure that the only thing being reset, is the window.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you all for the help. While this may be a goofy question, I'd rather be safe than sorry: This window reset will not have any effect on my custom tune, correct? I just want to make sure that the only thing being reset, is the window.
This is correct. All it will reset is the window, and you should be good to go after that!

·
Registered
462 Posts
+1 The reset procedure won't affect your tune or anything else. Follow the procedure I outlined. It should take well under a minute to have your window working correctly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks! I'll be sure to try it soon, and I'll post my results.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I gave it a try when I got home from work. After many attempts I have had no success and no change in how low it drops. The most frustrating part is that Ford must not have put in any kind of indicator, such as a beep tone, to let me know if I'm even close to doing this right. Either that, or I did it correctly, and it simply didn't fix my problem. But I have no way of knowing which it is.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm sorry that didn't work for you. There is no beep. You just hold the button for at least 2 seconds after it has bottomed out and at least 2 seconds after it has fully closed. Since that obviously didn't do the trick, it sounds like it's a problem with the riser motor itself.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Is it possible the window is dropping the correct amount? Measure the drop on both windows with the doors open, window in lower position. Measure from the door to the top of the window. If they are the same, sounds like your top roof frame might be slightly bent..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible the window is dropping the correct amount? Measure the drop on both windows with the doors open, window in lower position. Measure from the door to the top of the window. If they are the same, sounds like your top roof frame might be slightly bent..
Good thinking, I'll give that a shot and post my results as soon as I can. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry that didn't work for you. There is no beep. You just hold the button for at least 2 seconds after it has bottomed out and at least 2 seconds after it has fully closed. Since that obviously didn't do the trick, it sounds like it's a problem with the riser motor itself.
How can I check to see if that's the problem? The window goes up and down with no problems at all so I'm hoping that's not the case either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts