Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have already searched/read old posts and the care and feeding of ponies for solutions.

I am trying to fix my passenger door window.
The problem seems to be that something is out of allignment.

The rear roller was broken, and the rear arm doesn't allign to allow for replacement with a new roller.

I've rolled the window up and down, loosened and retightend and tried "forcing" the arm/roller/track together.

When I "forced" the regulator arm into the roller on the track there was binding and rolling the window up or down seemed to bend the door metal in or out depending on up or down.

Along with that problem the lower window stop (see pic) appears to be broken and neither the top nor bottom stop appear to contact the regulator arms with the Window up or down.

Here's hoping I am missing something really easy.
Thanks.
Stonestepper.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
The window guide channel at the rear of the door has adjustments only for the tilt (side to side) of the window. Otherwise it is fixed in the fore/aft direction. If the vent window frame at the front is installed incorrectly (too low or too far to the rear) it can leave insufficient room between the vent window frame at the front and the rear glass guide. In that case the window will bind when you try to roll it up/down. When you have to force the crank the door metal will bow in/out as a result. Check to see that you don't have some kind of problem with insufficient space to allow the window to move up/down freely. The vent window frame is held with 4 bolts. The top two do most of the positioning adjustment while the bottom two are the ones with allen head adjusters that tilt the frame left-right WRT the door.

There are no really good instructions that I know about that tell you how to adjust these windows. You have to feel it out for yourself. If it doesn't roll up/down easily there is something wrong. Its up to you to figure out what's wrong. Don't force it or you will likely break something. The fact that you aren't touching the regulator stops is not a terribly big deal. They may have not been adjusted properly anyhow. They are sort of a last adjustment and aren't all that important IMHO. The stops that are important are the ones at the front and rear of the window glass itself that control how far up the glass can go at each end. Once those are correct then you adjust the regulator arm stops to match.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Hello. :) If you will put the window in the all-the-way-up position, stick a suitable prop under it so that it can't fall, disconnect the two arms from the bottom of the window, leaving the arm attached that is on the short track on the door, and roll the window regulator up, it will come into a position in which both of those arms are in the places that they need to be to re-attach them to the window. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Your first paragraph answers most of my questions. As far as I know this window has had this problem since the early 80's.

"In that case the window will bind when you try to roll it up/down. When you have to force the crank the door metal will bow in/out as a result."

This is exactly what happens.

:)Once again, a simple fix (window felts) leads to a whole new project. (But that's the fun)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts