Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Patriot Tri-y headers off of summit that are like $140 somethin. Does anyone know if these headers are any good or if they make not power?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Oops I meant to say more power*
Hi,
I can't speak to the quality of the Patriot brand, but, the classic TRI-Y header is well know for making good street torque, which is why I run the TRI-Y. These were classic headers on the Shelby 350s. Doug Thorely makes a high quality TRI-Y
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
To answer your original question, if the price is cheap, the headers probably are too. I imagine this is a case where you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
To answer your original question, if the price is cheap, the headers probably are too. I imagine this is a case where you get what you pay for.
+1, if the truth be known!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i figure this would be as good a place as any to ask. is there a huge difference between long tube headers and tri-y's?
Hi,
As you research header application(s), their designed use is based around the builder's overall use for the engine. So, one should ask themselves:
"Where do I want my primary power to be developed" or...
"What is the intended use of the engine."
Like most performance goodies, headers are but one piece of the builder's puzzle. Their specific style is chosen to support other performance enhancements.
Typically, TRIs, as I mentioned in another post, make their best power in the low to mid range of the power band, (street warrior, occasional strip fun) long tube header design favors the higher power range (more often strip fun).
Be aware too, many choose either of the two due to which fits best with their choice in accessories, trannys, clutch actuating, head design(plug accessibility) etc.
Also, there are builders, who simply like the "coolness" factor of either.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not True. Patriot Tri-ys are great headers. You buy patriot for $150 and you buy dougs for $4-500 or even JBA for $700+++!! Why is one more expensive then the other? Name. Honestly ive had the patriot on my fastback for over 11 years. NEVER had ANY problems with fit or function. DOnt pay extra for the ceramic though. They get ugly after a while and looks crappy. Just stay with black or unpainted and do a good paint job with high temp paint yourself. BTW, when i installed these headers on my BONE STOCK unrestored 2brl c code 289 11 years ago, it just about ripped the tire off the wheel. LOTS of low end torque. You will like! :winks

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Not True. Patriot Tri-ys are great headers. You buy patriot for $150 and you buy dougs for $4-500 or even JBA for $700+++!! Why is one more expensive then the other? Name. Honestly ive had the patriot on my fastback for over 11 years. NEVER had ANY problems with fit or function. DOnt pay extra for the ceramic though. They get ugly after a while and looks crappy. Just stay with black or unpainted and do a good paint job with high temp paint yourself. BTW, when i installed these headers on my BONE STOCK unrestored 2brl c code 289 11 years ago, it just about ripped the tire off the wheel. LOTS of low end torque. You will like! :winks

Hi,
When you state "Not True" . As to which specific comments are you referring. We are all here to learn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See I was thinking you get what you pay for, but I can't dish out 4-7+ for headers right now. So my questions to you are 1.) Are they easy to install?, 2.) Did you have any clearance problems?, 3.) Are things easy to get to after installation?, 4.) Any heat problems?, and 5.) I'm thinking about getting an x-pipe too, so do you thinly (or know) if an x-pipe will work well with these headers? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ok first off I was refering to the fact that they are cheap in price makes them cheap in quality. As that seems to be true at times this is not one of them.

Ok as for the 5 questions...
1- they are not bad. Just like anything else I guess. Use a back brace because you will be bent over the fenders a little bit. I did not have a welder so I had to have the exhaust shop down the street weld on a reducer from the collector to the piping

2- only clearance issue is with power steering if you have it. It will hit the assist ram and will require a $20 ram assist lowering bracket. Other then that they are fine. They are snug between the shock towers but fit like a glove.

3- ease of maint with headers on? Is that what you mean? Cause you can access everything just fine if not better then before. The pipes run downwards toward the bottom of the firewall whereas the factory manifolds run along side of the block with pipes coming up to meet them.

4- no heat problems at all. As with any header or manifold you still want to keep your wires away from them. I'm sure they are a bit hotter then factory manifolds but it just goes with it. You want performance then there is heat.

5- x pipe. Yes but I don't recommend it. The whole design behind the design if the tri-y is scavaging of exhaust gas. The whole design of an x pipe is the same. When combined they will work against eachother defeating the effort of the headers. I would recommend an h pipe. Lower end trq gains and will sound a little nicer. H pipes give a deeper more muscular v8 sound as the x pipe will give a raspier high pitch euro sound to it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hey Danielf,
I, for one, want to thank you for a good overview of your usage over time. It's meaningful to those who might subscribe to that brand and style of header. Me, I've been running the same TRI-Ys since '96. I'm in my second ceramic coating since. They too, have served me well.
Again, thanks for the details.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Do you understand that ceramic coating is an intended performance function moreso than an aesthetic function? Headers are optimized when they are insulated. Insulated headers mean cooler engine bay temps=cooler intake air. Insulated headers also means warmer exhaust gasses=faster exhaust velocity=more exhaust scavenging. Ceramic coating on headers is used because it's a durable insulator. If, by no heat problems, you're referring to the ceramic coated headers you have now, then that's your reason why. For that matter, I've never heard of painted headers that looked good indefinitely either.

Your account gives me a vote of confidence in the Partriots, though I had currently been eyeing the Pertronix Tri Ys that look exactly the same (it's all the same company now). But to claim the only difference between Patriot and Doug's is just name is disingenuous. I can tell you right now there's a least a materials difference; the Patriot headers have a 5/16" flange, the Doug's headers have a 3/8" flange. There's also a design and engineering difference, and fitment differences. There's no question that a Doug's header is going to be a better header, and you're going to pay for it. Of course as you say there still is the name factor. Consumers don't equate performance or quality with economy pricing.

However, the $155 headers in reference in this thread that are painted black are destined to look like crap in no time flat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok first off I was refering to the fact that they are cheap in price makes them cheap in quality. As that seems to be true at times this is not one of them.

1- they are not bad. Just like anything else I guess. Use a back brace because you will be bent over the fenders a little bit. I did not have a welder so I had to have the exhaust shop down the street weld on a reducer from the collector to the piping

2- only clearance issue is with power steering if you have it. It will hit the assist ram and will require a $20 ram assist lowering bracket. Other then that they are fine. They are snug between the shock towers but fit like a glove.

3- ease of maint with headers on? Is that what you mean? Cause you can access everything just fine if not better then before. The pipes run downwards toward the bottom of the firewall whereas the factory manifolds run along side of the block with pipes coming up to meet them.

4- no heat problems at all. As with any header or manifold you still want to keep your wires away from them. I'm sure they are a bit hotter then factory manifolds but it just goes with it. You want performance then there is heat.

5- x pipe. Yes but I don't recommend it. The whole design behind the design if the tri-y is scavaging of exhaust gas. The whole design of an x pipe is the same. When combined they will work against eachother defeating the effort of the headers. I would recommend an h pipe. Lower end trq gains and will sound a little nicer. H pipes give a deeper more muscular v8 sound as the x pipe will give a raspier high pitch euro sound to it.
Well man thanks a lot for your time an advice. You've persuaded me to buy the headers! But my steering is the power steering assist. Would that make a difference? Sorry, I'm pretty new to cars and engines. The mustang is a 66' 289 A code. It was my moms but now my grandpa is passing it down to me. So I've decided to bring it back to life. It's an amazing car already but I want to keep it and his 57 bel air in the family. But my next project is to get the power steering working better. It turns harder to the right and the left turns with ease so I'm researching it. Once again, thank you all for your help it really means a lot. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Oh and does it matter that it is a automatic? Just a stock c4

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I used the Patriot try-y headers on my Mustang and I am very happy with them. I had some fitment issues, but that was due to the fact that my engine is not "level" in the car due to a previous accident. I loosed the motor mount and jacked it up and the tri-y fit fine, and I tightened the motor back up and everything has been fine since (approx 1 year).

They really improve the torque and the sound is great, I'd suggest the ceramic coated, they last longer and look better.

·
Registered
537 Posts
No, mine is an auto as well and it fit fine. remember, these were originally installed on 4spd shelbys so it should fit either one. BUT as stated, mine is a C4 as well.

As to what Lizer was saying.... He is correct. The extra money i paid for ceramic may have made a diff in underhood temps but i must say, they look like a prom date threw up all over her dress. It is absolutely disgusting. Like a white dog turd. It is in all honesty one of the reasons i dont show the car. One thing i have to disagree with though is the paint. I have seen many high quality painted headers last a long time. Theres a few guys in the local hotrod club that have painted headers and as they dont look brand new, they still look really nice.

As for quality of material diff/pay for name...simply put they are all the same. They are all of a tri-y design. Maybe one is angled a little diff or one has bigger primaries or stepped or whatever. BUT, you dont need it. Just by looking at peoples questions on the forum (mine included) none of these cars are hard driven track only 800hp monsters that need 3" flanges or parts made of metal only found in comic books. Thats what i ment by all the same. Youre just gonna pay for the name. Unless you are building an all out monster, the Patriots are more then a great fit for your app.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts