Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to supercharge a 351 Windsor stroked to 408 with static compression of 9.86/1, aluminum edelbrock heads, roller camshaft, I live at 6000 ft above sea level, would like to stay with pump gas. Has any one had experience that they could share. thanks. Looking at the Paxton with 5-7 psi boost.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have no experience with that exact setup but I do have a fair amount of experience with superchargers and in general without an intercooler 9.5:1 is the highest I would recommend. lower would be better. but I am running 9.5:1 on my mustang and with 91 octane fuel I have not had any problems with detonation. you definitely would not want to go higher than 6 pounds of boost with that high of compression.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that at least gives me some info, what altitude are you at, do you mind telling me the benefit of the intercooler and compression and detonation, does the cooler air affect significantly or minimally, I really think 5-6 is my goal, any help in guestimating the horsepower increase with the above set up, again thanks to mccance

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
if you do a google search on superchargers and detonation you can get several results. detonation basically is premature ignition. honestly I recommend you read a lot of different opinions. don't get me wrong I love this forum and you can get a lot of good info on here but just like everywhere else you will also get a lot of opinion. people will tell you what they did and that must be right because they did it. take everything you read on one of these forums with a grain of salt including what I tell you. I will not purposely give you wrong advice but I am no expert. I have run the paxton supercharger on my mustang for over 10 years and a kennebell supercharger on my truck for 8 years so I do have some experience and I have read a lot about it, but I recommend you read the recommendations of the system you intend to buy.

having said that I will try to answer your questions. detonation is basically premature ignition it is influenced by lots of factors boost pressure, compression ratio, ignition timing and octane rating of your fuel. the paxton supercharger is made to run on stock compression which is about 9.3:1 you can go a bit higher because you are going to be using aluminum heads and they dissipate heat better. you can also retard your timing a bit if you run into knock. an intercooler reduces your charge temperature so you can run higher boost. they all work together. with 9.5:1 compression and 6 psi boost you don't need an intercooler if you run 91 octane fuel. higher compression is not mentioned in there literature so you have to assume that you may need to do some modification such as retarding timing, reducing boost or decreasing cr to avoid detonation. again everything works together so changing one factor will change the others.

hope that helps. best answer is to email or call paxton tell them your exact setup and ask there opinons. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts