Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 auto gt seems to have a significant performance boost right after an oil change and seems to last for about 35 to 50 miles then it starts to lag and bog a bit. I know an oil Change can help but the difference is too significant IMO. I get an oil change every 2.5k. Is it possible that the new oil is sealing something for a bit, fixing something that maybe wrong?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Without dyno proof I would think its in your head. An 2500 miles? I thought i did it often at 3000.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My 06 auto gt seems to have a significant performance boost right after an oil change and seems to last for about 35 to 50 miles then it starts to lag and bog a bit. I know an oil Change can help but the difference is too significant IMO. I get an oil change every 2.5k. Is it possible that the new oil is sealing something for a bit, fixing something that maybe wrong?
If you switched to full synthetic you will have a significant power increase (we're talking 5-10 hp over semi/traditional).

If you've always run the same type of oil, then it most likely is placebo.

Apparently its bad to run fully synthetic though - It lowers an engine's lifespan.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without dyno proof I would think its in your head. An 2500 miles? I thought i did it often at 3000.
Probably safer to change more often if you run the engine hard. At 2k my oil is black.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I don't believe that for a second.
What's the deal with you today Stl? :confused:

You're shutting down a lot of the information I'm trying to share with people on here... Just because you don't know it/believe it doesn't mean its wrong. :?:

I win! ;)

It may pour like water, but Mobil 1’s new Tri-Synthetic 0W-30 motor oil was worth 10 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque over conventional 20W-50 oil in this 392 Ford. Synthetic oils like Mobil 1 reach the engine’s vitals faster than “dinosaur” oils, protecting them while reducing starter and battery cranking loads.
Synthetic Versus Conventional Oil- Car Craft Magazine

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me correct any confusion,
I am not saying I get more hp power from the oil change! But my throttle lag and bog is gone after an oil change, and I am getting a lot of bogging. I am waiting on some tillman tunes to see if that fixes my bogging, in the mean time my oil change corrects this problem 100%, for a while anyway. This is what leaves me to believe that the new oil is sealing the rings or something until the viscosity starts to break down. I want to know if this is a possible scenario? Could I have blown a gasket or something or cracked a seal?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts

You're shutting down a lot of the information I'm trying to share with people on here... Just because you don't know it/believe it doesn't mean its wrong. :?:

I win! ;)

Stl is right, you may see 1or 2 at the outside but not that much.

Now if you were comparing the same weight oils then it would be a comparison but not that different.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I am not saying I get more hp power from the oil change! But my throttle lag and bog is gone after an oil change, and I am getting a lot of bogging. I am waiting on some tillman tunes to see if that fixes my bogging, in the mean time my oil change corrects this problem 100%, for a while anyway. This is what leaves me to believe that the new oil is sealing the rings or something until the viscosity starts to break down. I want to know if this is a possible scenario? Could I have blown a gasket or something or cracked a seal?
That's very weird... So you start to see problems after the oil has been used for a decent amount of time? That does sound like a problem, but the fact the car still runs fine after an oil change means your problem shouldn't be too serious. I'd have Ford check it out, once it starts to bog again.

Stl is right, you may see 1or 2 at the outside but not that much.

Now if you were comparing the same weight oils then it would be a comparison but not that different.
??? I thought that link explained it. :(
If you mean at the outside as to wheels, maybe for the 4.6L you could be correct... I haven't seen dyno's for our engines with different types of oil. I'm speaking in general.

Are you running that oil?
No, I am not. I do have a lot of insight on oil & engines - I work at a car shop that specializes in restoring old classics. The head mechanic there has talked to me about oil; when he was a kid, at a shop he worked at he would run different types of oil through a big block Chevy then dyno the engine... And compare the gains/losses to find the best oil to use.

·
Registered
921 Posts
On my old V6 my dealership wanted me to run 5000 miles between oil changes. (Was a new car) I scratched my head and watched the oil every 500-1000k miles till 5k and it stayed mostly golden brown the entire way. No clue what kind of oil they used.

So far on my GT i changed it when i got it and 3k miles later. will change again in 3k miles.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Does the shop(or you) disconnect the battery before changing the oil? I realize doing that for an oil(and filter) change is being super conservative wrt safety, but just wanted to make sure that no stones are left unturned.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts

I win! ;)

I just don't put a lot of stock in magazine articles that are sponsored by the products they test. If everyone gained 10 rwhp, we'd all be spending $8 a quart on oil. ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the shop(or you) disconnect the battery before changing the oil? I realize doing that for an oil(and filter) change is being super conservative wrt safety, but just wanted to make sure that no stones are left unturned.
No they do not disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just don't put a lot of stock in magazine articles that are sponsored by the products they test. If everyone gained 10 rwhp, we'd all be spending $8 a quart on oil. ;)
Think with ur Dipstick.... JIMMY! +1 STL

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Think with ur Dipstick.... JIMMY! +1 STL
Well, sponsored or not, the head mechanic at the speed shop I work at is also a professional Pro-Stock Drag Racer ~ Tuning STOCK cars with minimal changes and cranking INSANE amount of HP off race fuel and top of the line racing fuel.

He told me about the differences in oil... I believe him! :laugh:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well, sponsored or not, the head mechanic at the speed shop I work at is also a professional Pro-Stock Drag Racer ~ Tuning STOCK cars with minimal changes and cranking INSANE amount of HP off race fuel and top of the line racing fuel.

He told me about the differences in oil... I believe him! :laugh:
was just dieing to pull the think with ur dipstick :D couldnt care less whose right... Jiffy Lube works 4 me! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
633 Posts
i noticed a slight performance increase when i switched from motorcraft to full sythic oil.but know diff from one sythic compnay to another.just my 2 cents.i would guess maybe it was 2 or 3 hp to the wheels diff and quiter and smother running.

·
Registered
633 Posts
so preston how many miles are we talking about the motor not lasting when using synthic oil.i do notice more power using full synthic but not enough to do damage or for my motor not to last as long.this is good info right here and if it did not make any diff at all why would nascar do it like it said they used thinner oil for more power in that article:scratchchin.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.