Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 73 mustang with a 351 Cleveland it was bored 40 over when I got it but have a gouge in number 4 cylinder that had to be bored out to 60 over then sleeved back down to 40 I’m looking for ideas on things I can do to really make this motor last as it will be my daily driver during the summer months every year any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
The SBF 351 is really a very good engine and just like all the new ones as well, maintenance is the key...change oil & fluids regular (oil changes IMHO should be 3-4K mile range or every 6 months which ever comes 1st- MC oil filters are among the best)!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SBF 351 is really a very good engine and just like all the new ones as well, maintenance is the key...change oil & fluids regular (oil changes IMHO should be 3-4K mile range or every 6 months which ever comes 1st- MC oil filters are among the best)!
What would you recommend for oil I run 5w-30 in my truck but I’m wondering if I should run a racing oil

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
What would you recommend for oil I run 5w-30 in my truck but I’m wondering if I should run a racing oil
No....no racing oil!!!!! 5w-30 would be an excellent oil as well.... FYI...the oil companies publish a chart that also addresses atmospheric temps....in general, 30w oil is good for up to 90 degrees... if you go above that on a regular basis then I would look at 5w-40. Also, I would highly recommend adding a bottle of ZDDP... it costs typically about $5 but provides protection on startup that causes the most damage as a result of the oil companies reducing ZDDP to well under 600ppm to protect the cats on the newer cars (the old engines were use to up to 1500+ ppm of ZDDP).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No....no racing oil!!!!! 5w-30 would be an excellent oil as well.... FYI...the oil companies publish a chart that also addresses atmospheric temps....in general, 30w oil is good for up to 90 degrees... if you go above that on a regular basis then I would look at 5w-40. Also, I would highly recommend adding a bottle of ZDDP... it costs typically about $5 but provides protection on startup that causes the most damage as a result of the oil companies reducing ZDDP to well under 600ppm to protect the cats on the newer cars (the old engines were use to up to 1500+ ppm of ZDDP).
Thank you all the help is much appreciated

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I’ve got a 73 mustang with a 351 Cleveland it was bored 40 over when I got it but have a gouge in number 4 cylinder that had to be bored out to 60 over then sleeved back down to 40 I’m looking for ideas on things I can do to really make this motor last as it will be my daily driver during the summer months every year any ideas would be greatly appreciated
What caused the gouge? Too much fuel pressure and it washed down the cylinder wall?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Best things you can do to make it last forever:

1) Keep your ignition in tune. Don't set your timing so far forward it pings, and don't let it run retarded so you end up with a lot of soot, awful mileage, no power, and really hot exhaust.
2) Get your carb dead on, and use annular boosters if you can (like the Summit M-series), or buy an EFI conversion if you're inclined. You'll never have rich/lean problems again if you do. Rich soots things up and kills power/economy, but lean will put holes in pistons and break things because of detonation. It makes the combustion chambers HOT.
3) Don't be afraid to use synthetic oils, and change whatever you use at least by the manufacturer's recommended interval without fail.
4) If you have a flat tappet cam (and you probably do) then use oil with ZDDP, or use an additive.

And lastly, get out and DRIVE it. Don't be afraid to enjoy it now and again, and when you do take it out, let things warm up! A 30 minute drive will be far less hard on your car than six 5-minute drives. Give it time to get up to operating temp, so you can boil away most of the contaminants in your oil. Making short little putts around town tends to cause a lot of problems, if that's all your car ever gets.

Hope that helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts