Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the performance friction pads on the PP brakes require more heat in them, compared to standard brakes, to be fully effective.

The reason behind this question is due to a hard stop I had to make yesterday after just leaving work.

On the freeway doing 60, traffic just hit a wall, the guy in front of me rear ended the guy he was following and I slammed on the brakes and the ABS engaged but I still had to dart into the next lane because I was not going to stop in time.

I've made some pretty rapid stops before, but this time it seemed to really lack the stopping power I've become used to. Thoughts?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I hit a traffic wall yesterday morning, as well and my car stopped better than any car I've previously owned. I've not had any brake issues in mine yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't bedded them yet. I never thought to do that with a new car, I always do it when I replace pads. Good call.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What's 'bedding' for those of us that are not familiar with the term/technique?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well correct me if I am wrong but with the abs kicking in that means you were exceeding the stopping abillity (friction) of you tires. In other words the brakes were not the limiting factor and you would need stickier tires to further reduce your distance.

BTW that doesn't mean the abs increased (or decreased) your braking just that it kicked in because the brakes were locking the wheels up...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yup, sounds to my that either there was something wrong with the road, oil or coolant or something else on it, or the brakes simply overpowered the coefficient friction of the tires.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My only 'advice' if you did not already do this is to make a conscious effort to push the brake pedal literally to the floor. ABS loves that **** and it allows all 4 tires to work on the edge of traction. People have a tendancy to stop pushing harder on the pedal once they feel the ABS kick in. Quite often that is just one tire with weak traction and the other 3 tires could help out quite a bit more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do tend to push the pedal as hard as I can when ABS hits, but I very rarely need ABS.

As for the tires, I'm on the PZeros the car came with, which are pretty sticky, I think the only other solution to not require stickier tires, is a larger following distance:gringreen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts