Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the 2011 V6 forum and thinking about buying a 2012 V6. The options are pretty straightforward. I've been looking hard at the Performance Package upgrade and trying to decide if its worth the extra $2K. Kind of like the idea of GT suspension components and brakes on a V6 and the 19" wheels are to die for. I don't plan to race it at the track but like to do the windy mountain roads north of Phoenix now and then. From those that have the PP, is it worth the extra cost? I could get the 3.31 gears as an option and add a strut tower brace from American Muscle or similar. This would get me some of the PP options at a fraction of the cost. Test drove a regular V6 and the brakes seemed very solid - did not really have a chance to test the suspension. This car would be my daily driver and also be used occasionally for cruising with the local club when I don't want to bring out the 66 coupe. Thoughts and opinions much appreciated. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
101 Posts
I dont have the performance package, but from what I have heard and read it is a good price and will obviously have the warranty for both parts and labour..........if performance is an option you are interested in then saving a few bucks risking after market products is prolly not worth the trouble and effort. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hawk Brake pads will do wonders for the car. I installed the FRPP handling pack and 14" Brembos after the purchase and it helps alot but still not enough for where I plan to take the car. If your not going to track the car then I would say go for it. But if want other wheels down the road and decide to start being competitive with it then that 2k could be used in better places. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Performance Package is a great option for the V6 cars if you are not one that will want to do any suspension mods and are okay with the higher price for replacing the 19" tires. The V6 PP cars stop and handle better than a GT and are capable of tracking almost as quick and will run in the 13's stone stock at the strip.

If you are one who will be wanting to do a bunch of suspension mods and want to run a less expensive tire then you will be better off with a base car and building it up yourself.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I love the wheels and I wanted 3.31 gears. I knew that just to get the 3.31 ratio and to upgrade to aftermarket wheels + tires would would come out around the cost of the package. The suspension parts were just a bonus.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As stated, for what you get, $2k is a steal. In my estimation, that covers the wheels and tires, everything else is 'bonus'.

But the facts are that the suspention parts in the PP are not the end all be all. If you want the absolute best, your probably better off going with a regular v6 and adding aftermarket.

Just depends what your wants/needs are.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like the 2K would be well spent. It is very unlikely I would go further in upgrades so this may be the best route to go. Read some other threads about the pluses and minuses of the 19 in Pirelli's. Sounds like there are some less costly options once I need to replace them. Honestly, I would be hard pressed to put 5K on the car in a year and so the tires would probably be good for the normal 3-4 year cycle needed for tire replacement in my desert clime anyway.

What is odd on the PP is that you can only add the MCA option but not the Pony option if you want a little dress up. I'd like pieces of both - the MCA grill, but the Pony side stripes. Not to hot on the MCA stripes with "Mustang Club of America" tatooed on my car - even though I am a member.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
New to the 2011 V6 forum and thinking about buying a 2012 V6. The options are pretty straightforward. I've been looking hard at the Performance Package upgrade and trying to decide if its worth the extra $2K. Kind of like the idea of GT suspension components and brakes on a V6 and the 19" wheels are to die for. I don't plan to race it at the track but like to do the windy mountain roads north of Phoenix now and then. From those that have the PP, is it worth the extra cost? I could get the 3.31 gears as an option and add a strut tower brace from American Muscle or similar. This would get me some of the PP options at a fraction of the cost. Test drove a regular V6 and the brakes seemed very solid - did not really have a chance to test the suspension. This car would be my daily driver and also be used occasionally for cruising with the local club when I don't want to bring out the 66 coupe. Thoughts and opinions much appreciated. Thanks, Steve
I don't know if you can tell by other people's experience if its for you. I haven't been following area inventories but there was a yellow 2011 PP that had been sitting for a long time when I bought my blue one at the end of December. And it was still around a few months later. Even if you want a 2012, drive a 2011 before ordering if that's all available.

The GT suspension pieces makes the V6 handle better than the GT because of the lower weight (my PP is 3310 lbs). And the tires are a huge leap. These cars will run circles around a regular GT and handle even a little better than the Brembo GTs the best I could tell without comparing lap times. They definitely "feel" better at or near the limits.

The brakes are better than the base BUT that won't matter except on the track. You won't notice any difference on public roads.

As for mountain roads North of Phoenix, I don't know which ones you mean specifically, but these things are a terror on Yarnel hill.

As always, if you plan to replace a bunch of stuff anyway, DON'T pay extra for parts you will replace. I have a track car so don't plan to mod this one but it is one of the most satisfying "stock" package I've owned.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is absolutely worth it financially. It's up to you if you want it just for the looks and dont plan on tracking it. As stated earlier, the wheels and tires alone make up the price in aftermarket upgrades.

The PP is a pretty rare package as it turns out, so the resale value will hold up more so then a base. Less than 2% of V6s have the package.

PLUS! It's super sexy and handles like a dream.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to hear this Hoosier. And Yarnell Hill is one of those I'm thinking about for sure. Ran my 66 up that puppy about a year ago, and even with all the tweaks I did on the stock 66 suspension and tires it was a little scary. Would be a blast to take that on in a new 2011/2012. The road up to Jerome would also be a blast!

I will check more carefully on existing 2011 stock in the Valley. My impression was that stock was low. I do have a specific color in mind but might bend if I get the right deal.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is absolutely worth it financially. It's up to you if you want it just for the looks and dont plan on tracking it. As stated earlier, the wheels and tires alone make up the price in aftermarket upgrades.

The PP is a pretty rare package as it turns out, so the resale value will hold up more so then a base. Less than 2% of V6s have the package.

PLUS! It's super sexy and handles like a dream.
Got that impression on rarity since there seem to be so few PP V6 at the dealers. How is that Kona Blue for upkeep? It's either a Performance White or Kona Blue with Saddle interior for me. Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a dark green 66 and its a pain to keep looking sharp.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
What is odd on the PP is that you can only add the MCA option but not the Pony option if you want a little dress up. I'd like pieces of both - the MCA grill, but the Pony side stripes. Not to hot on the MCA stripes with "Mustang Club of America" tatooed on my car - even though I am a member.

Pony Package is the "Dressy" package and the Performance Package just doesn't match the demeanor of the pony package.

And I didn't know until now that they changed the stripe on the MCA but it looks like it would be extremely easy to peel off the "Club of America" lettering since it is under the actual stripe.

Of course I really don't think it is worth the extra $500 for the stripe, MCA floor mats and "Billet" plastic grille and trunk blackout.

And the pony package side stripe would be easy to add too if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Got that impression on rarity since there seem to be so few PP V6 at the dealers.
I think that's because a much higher percentage of PPs are customer order compared to other packages. A lot of dealers won't stock them because its a high price option that's not marketed which means the dealer has to "sell" the idea. And since the positives (other than the wheels if you like them) are only apparent at very high Gs, that's not what dealers like a lot of in test drives.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The other thing about the PP cars is that it was only available the last half of the 2011 MY. I am seeing a lot more 2012 PP cars than last year and we aren't to the mid year point yet.

·
Registered
644 Posts
just go for the GT, if you are older the insurance isn't that much more. MIne went up 82 dollards every 6 months

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get the PP I love my car, It is the most fun car I have driven, I have had two V8 Mustangs, Two SHOs and I would take the PP Mustang over them all. I have the race red and with the black wheels it looks great. I get 10 or 15 people a week say they like my car. If you want a car that turns heads this is your car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got that impression on rarity since there seem to be so few PP V6 at the dealers. How is that Kona Blue for upkeep? It's either a Performance White or Kona Blue with Saddle interior for me. Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a dark green 66 and its a pain to keep looking sharp.
So far the Kona has been pretty good. I just washed and waxed it for the first time and there still arent any swirls to worry about. It didnt show dirt that much either, which is nice because it seems like everytime I wash my cars, it rains the next day.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've had my MCA/PP only since Oct 2010 but I can say it is so worth it. If you are looking for a great performing, great handling ride from the factory, along with a warranty then do it.

There's also another bonus which I am surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet but it has different traction control states that are not on the normal V6s.

Around here, the PPs are pretty much a custom order.

I get a hell of a lot of compliments about the wheels. They are also the lightest wheels ford offers at the moment. Yes, the replacement rubber can be a bit pricey, but shop around and you'll find excellent rubber for 150 a wheel.

Don't worry about the MCA stripes. You can order it deleted or if you are buying a car off the lot, you can peel them off on a hot sunny day with no worries. That's what I did to mine after some jerk dinged my door and damaged the stripe - which is a super thin vinyl.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a white PP with stone interior and the 201 package. Was disappointed to see that all the prices I have been tracking (Consumer Reports, TrueCar, X-plan, Costco) all shot up $500 since yesterday. Must be some dealer incentives went away on 1 June. Maybe I should wait a little while and see what new incentives might come along - maybe something on July 4th? Not that $500 is going to break the bank but I could use it for some dress-up goodies :gringreen

1 - 20 of 67 Posts