Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone driven an '11 or '12 mustang with the performance package and one without that could tell me how big of a difference the ride quality is and how much better it handles?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Has anyone driven an '11 or '12 mustang with the performance package and one without that could tell me how big of a difference the ride quality is and how much better it handles?
I have, but my father's performance package is an auto, mine is a base model stick. I felt that the two cars drove very similarly, his handled perhaps a bit better on hard turns and had SLIGHTLY, but almost unoticeably better low end torque. I personally wouldn't pick the performance package for "performance" reasons, the difference is just not big enough, but my dad's leather, rearview camera, rims, bluetooth, satelitte, mysync, etc WAS worth it for sure.

We also ran each other a few times on straight aways for a few hundred feet, once again it was basically an even race. Coming out of 2nd and third gear he would pull on me, but by maybe 2 bumper lengths, nothing to really care about.

I couldn't be happier with my choice of going with a base model, I also get relatively better gas mileage than my father... he is averaging 19-21 whereas I average 24-25 (I do more highway driving however). If his was a manual, would I take it over mine? Absolutely, it's even the same color as mine (Kona Blue), but personally... My exhaust also sounds a little better IMO, perhaps because the auto exhaust isn't the same as manual (why, I don't know). I wouldn't want ANY automatic mustang personally, but I love driving stick so.......

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have, but my father's performance package is an auto, mine is a base model stick.
FYI: They don't make auto trans Performance package cars.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I drove V6s with and without the Performance Package as well as GTs with and without the Brembo Package (which is primarily a handling package). I drove all several times before buying.

The Brembo and Performance Package cars handled MUCH better with a slight edge to the V6. To be honest I would not drive a Mustang without one of those packages but that's a personal preference. There is nothing wrong with preferring a soft ride to better handling.

And I guess If where you drive has really bad roads, the Performance Package (or Brembo package on a GT) would not work either.

Check out the Car and Driver Lightning lap results. The 2011 V6 Performance Package annihilated the 2010 GT on the road course and that was even sitting on the 114 MPH speed limiter for over 10 seconds of the lap.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have, but my father's performance package is an auto, mine is a base model stick. I felt that the two cars drove very similarly, his handled perhaps a bit better on hard turns and had SLIGHTLY, but almost unoticeably better low end torque. I personally wouldn't pick the performance package for "performance" reasons, the difference is just not big enough, but my dad's leather, rearview camera, rims, bluetooth, satelitte, mysync, etc WAS worth it for sure.

We also ran each other a few times on straight aways for a few hundred feet, once again it was basically an even race. Coming out of 2nd and third gear he would pull on me, but by maybe 2 bumper lengths, nothing to really care about.

I couldn't be happier with my choice of going with a base model, I also get relatively better gas mileage than my father... he is averaging 19-21 whereas I average 24-25 (I do more highway driving however). If his was a manual, would I take it over mine? Absolutely, it's even the same color as mine (Kona Blue), but personally... My exhaust also sounds a little better IMO, perhaps because the auto exhaust isn't the same as manual (why, I don't know). I wouldn't want ANY automatic mustang personally, but I love driving stick so.......
You might want to check your facts there. The PP was never available with an auto. Did he get his auto with the 'handling package'?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think he was talking about "premium package" since he went on to mention leather, sync, etc...

On the normal road the non perf pack v-6 handles just fine. Now there are other reasons to get the perf pack-such as the cool wheels and 3.31 gears. But I wouldnt get it just for the handling, thats just me.

You might want to check your facts three. The PP was never available with an auto. Did he get his auto with the 'handling package'?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You might want to check your facts there. The PP was never available with an auto. Did he get his auto with the 'handling package'?
My apologies, I WAS in fact referring to the premium package, I just called my dad and he was laughing at me for me the mistake, he has some sort of handling upgrade however, if that makes a difference.... so take my post for whatever it is lol.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I've got the pp and love it. The ride is firmer but not bad, with more impacts felt being the biggest differance I noticed but I think that's because of the 45 series tires. The shorter 3.31 gears are a big plus for get up and go but a demerit for gas. the car is new so I'm only begining to explore the handling but you can fly around corners and the brakes are incredible. I hope you are not looking for a Camary like experience...this is about the joy of driving!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love feeling every bump in the road, so that will be no problem at all
I can't wait to see the difference in handling from my truck to this mustang, I'm gonna be able to fly around corners :)

I'm gonna take the phrase "drive it like you stole it" to a whole new level when this car comes in :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I love feeling every bump in the road, so that will be no problem at all
I can't wait to see the difference in handling from my truck to this mustang, I'm gonna be able to fly around corners :)

I'm gonna take the phrase "drive it like you stole it" to a whole new level when this car comes in :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
Yes, it's fun to drive it like you stole it on the days when I feel no cops are around, it's my first rear wheel drive car so corners, especially u-turns can be fun as all hell.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i have the 12 with the pp and i used to own the 2010 base model. i know that the engines arent apples to apples but i think the rest of the cars are. the 2012 pp handles much better, ten fold better. also the wheels look sick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good to read, mine is on order, should be built week of Aug 15th. I ordered the "Purist's Edition" ;-)

Only option was PP, exterior color “pure white” I hate all the weight and complexity of all the electronics thrown into cars … that’s what living rooms and entertainment centers are for!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Good to read, mine is on order, should be built week of Aug 15th. I ordered the "Purist's Edition" ;-)

Only option was PP, exterior color “pure white” I hate all the weight and complexity of all the electronics thrown into cars … that’s what living rooms and entertainment centers are for!
Too bad you couldn't delete the a/c and radio too...;)

:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Too bad you couldn't delete the a/c and radio too...;)

:D:D:D
Well, you could technically... but not until AFTER you get the car, hahaha.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I went with that in kona blue, but I added the rear sensing package because I have an unusually awkward parking space, even for seattle.

base + PP + sense + nothing. :yup:

The dealer wanted me to get a more expensive car off the lot that didn't even have the PP suspension. :nono:

·
Registered
332 Posts
i come to this sight for information as do most of the others
but more and more i find people making comments on cars they dont own or know crap about.to the origional poster you need to just weed out the crack heads and have fun with your 12.im just letting my 11 sit until ford figures out why it shifts worse than my 78 pinto did.and i hope its befor i drive it thru there show room and park it on top of there boss 302 (oops it must of been the clutch)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Driving like you stole it is fine. It's driving it like you rented it is when you have a problem.
Yeah I agree, that's why when I've looked at used cars in the past, when the history says "past rental" I always cringe..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can we all make a secret interweb pack from this day forth to say/abbreviate as "PerfPkg" instead of "PP"?

When I started reading threads as a newbie, it really felt awkward & weird to read "I'm really happy with the PP."

1 - 20 of 71 Posts