Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I have read many of the posts on this site and almost everyone is obsessed with performance. I know that is why you buy a sports car, but after driving the Mustang for about three weeks I have had maybe two opportunities to really open it up. Which brings me to my question. how many people truly get use out of the performance and performance upgrades on thier mustangs? dont get me wrong, i love slamming on my gas, its just those times come few and far between to justify wanting to step up to the GT or dropping huge amounts of money on performance parts. The 2011 V6 is one of the best handling cars being sold. If you look at motor trend comaprisons, in the lateral acceleration and in the figure 8, only very high performance cars beat the numbers. Straight line yes it can be faster but like I said how often can you really get to use that power. Just wondering?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I completely agree. I had the 2011 5.0 and when it came time for a new car I didn't even think about getting another one. Having all that power was a good feeling and it sounded great, but it is absolutely unnecessary for a daily driver. The v6 gets better mpgs, handles and looks great, and is more than fast enough for daily driving. Sure it is nice to be the fastest on the road but the speed limit is the limit....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I chose the V6 over the GT and am choosing to stay stock. However, I can understand why people who regularly track or drag their cars would want the extra performance.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The only reason I want a 5.0 is the exhaust sound of a V8 (aside from the fact that the 5.0 is legendary)

I don't see many opportunities to go WOT.. only for a short bit on these on-ramps. But around here, since it's the San Fernando Valley, there are a bunch of mountain roads to have fun on and not many empty straights. I can't even put the 300 HP to use on these streets, having a 400+HP car would be a waste on me and for bragging rights only, which is silly.

Also, yes, the 5.0 has a bunch of torque. But in my V6, I have more than enough to keep up with traffic, even though usually the traffic starts very slow and I'm just going 1-3-5-6 in no hurry. I'm not about to be that ********** who blasts off from a red light.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
All I've done by way of performance (so far) is a CAI and a tune. I spend a lot of time on relatively deserted mountain roads and select patches of freeway or state highway (middle of nowhere), where I can really get down on it for extended periods. So far the only two tickets I've received were in areas where I should have had better sense. Eventually I will be tracking this car at the drag strip and autocross track, but for now I don't think I'm wasting any power or performance potential. I'm getting my money's worth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree, this car will scoot to 80 before I have to slow down. The upgrades I made were for pure sound at a decent price and I wanted to see waht a CAI woud do as well as a BAMA tune since everyone raves about them.

This is what I am doing for a while:
JLT carbon fiber CAI
BAMA Tunes
Magnaflow axle back performance muffler delete.

Then it is time to start thinking about wheels as well as a stripe design that looks classic but like nothing else on the road. I am going with Orange on performance white. Black wheels with small orange accents.

Other than that; a radar detector LOL :gringreen

I cannot complain about this car, after driving the SS Camaro(which handled like crap IMO as well as you couldnt see anything; the V6 same issue. I felt like I was in a crackerbox in the camaro. These are just my opinions.) People say; oh you only have a V6 till i take them for a ride and bark the tires in 3rd gear stock. They shutup real quick then.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have fun working on my car and feeling the difference in performance after i put some hard work into it. I never speed, and hardly go WOT, but I love the sound and feel. Not to mention.... i want my car to go faster based on how much i put my foot on the gas...... meaning....I have a truck that i have tuned and CAI, but because it has to shift gears so much to go faster, it feels like i have slow, regular, and fast.... nothing in between.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I have a question. I have read many of the posts on this site and almost everyone is obsessed with performance. I know that is why you buy a sports car, but after driving the Mustang for about three weeks I have had maybe two opportunities to really open it up. Which brings me to my question. how many people truly get use out of the performance and performance upgrades on thier mustangs? dont get me wrong, i love slamming on my gas, its just those times come few and far between to justify wanting to step up to the GT or dropping huge amounts of money on performance parts. The 2011 V6 is one of the best handling cars being sold. If you look at motor trend comaprisons, in the lateral acceleration and in the figure 8, only very high performance cars beat the numbers. Straight line yes it can be faster but like I said how often can you really get to use that power. Just wondering?
You mod for fun, for the thrill that the extra push in the back gives you when you tromp the loud pedal. Whether you use it very often or not, you always know it's there. You do this to a lowly V6 car to be unique, to PO the GT guys and to really PO the cumaro guys.

If all this isn't your cup of tea then that's fine but that is how it goes on an enthusiast site like this.

As to what performance figures the magazines have gotten from these cars, you do need to remember that they were using a performance package car so it handles and stops better than a standard Mustang.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For me it's not just about how often do I use all that HP its the idea of knowing its there when needed. After driving ecomony minded 4 bangers most of my life, thats a real nice change.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clarification

Please understand that my original question was not a knock on people who do all of the aftermarket upgrades. I personally have a trunk full of bass, and i have friends who think its crazy for a 40 yr old man to have all that in his trunk.(its really not much, but my wife would kill me if I put more). I was just interested in how many people actually utilize these performance upgrades. If you plan on putting it on the track, or if you are like one responder who actually has long periods of time when he can really put his foot into the gas. Here in my area of Louisiana there are just no real chances to floor it. I get the hobby and passion of working on your car. I hope to do more of it, mine was just a question opportunity more than anything. Also I do know that when mag's test the V6 they are using the performance package, however the HP and the general suspension set up are the same on all V6's. The handling numbers are improved based on stickier tires, and the performance numbers on the gear ratio. But the general performance is the same. Unless you are racing on a track, a few tenths of a second will never be seen.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
It's a fun hobby and a passion for a good number of us here on the forums :)

Also, AUTOCROSS BABY!!! :gringreen

·
Registered
466 Posts
For me it's not just about how often do I use all that HP its the idea of knowing its there when needed. After driving ecomony minded 4 bangers most of my life, thats a real nice change.

That's an excellent point. Sometimes, especially driving the Cali Freeways, you need that extra HP to get yourself out of trouble or to just simply enjoy the rumble when flooring it between Baker and the NV line. I owned a 66 Mustang with a 289 HIPO, that was a sweet ride. I have also driven 4cyl Hyundais for 14 years of my driving life, good cars, but I will never own one again. Mustangs
until I die. :yup:

B

·
0 Posts
For me it's about making the car mine. I also like stealthy performance mods as well as good gas mileage. It's kind of like owning a Harley. You rarely ever see two of the same model in a parking lot that are identical. Sporty cars like the mustang, camaro, 350z etc, have a huge aftermarket following so it's easy to find things you like to do to your car to make it fairly unique and personalized.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can get 28 with the 5.0. 22 around town same as v6. I loved my V6 put jerk off to the 5.0 just say'n

·
Registered
532 Posts
For me it's about making the car mine......it's easy to find things you like to do to your car to make it fairly unique and personalized.
This is exactly - worded differently, but meaning the same - I told a co-worker of mine just today at lunch.

In addition I agree about not necessarily using its power all of the time, but also knowing it's there when you need it or want it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
On the streets of massachusetts, the Base V6 already has way more power and cornering capability than the legal system and fellow automobiles can tolerate.

If I wanted to race competitively in any field or modify a car like crazy, I would not have purchased something new with a warranty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
... Also I do know that when mag's test the V6 they are using the performance package, however the HP and the general suspension set up are the same on all V6's. The handling numbers are improved based on stickier tires, and the performance numbers on the gear ratio. But the general performance is the same. Unless you are racing on a track, a few tenths of a second will never be seen.
Nope. The Performance Package v6 has the suspension setup from the 5.0 along with a strut tower brace and GT500 LCAs. General performance is ANYTHING but the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts