Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG !

The last time I had any kind of performance car, tire selection was very easy, you picked an H or a Z.

HOLY TIRE CHOICE, BATMAN !

Now the choices range from; All Season, Summer, Winter, Performance, High Performance, Ultra High Performance, Ultra High Performance All Season........

So I looked at a couple of threads on this Forum, then went over to Tire Rack to look at the reviews....... but need some clarification.

2013 GT, not tuned, not tracked, has factory upgraded 19" wheels and is used as a fun daily driver. No burnouts, no doughnuts, but I DO like to push her through the turns....

live in Florida, snow/ice not an issue, however wet roads and rain ARE a serious issue.

based on my current wear, will probably do 2 at a time. Where would YOU put the new ones?

My biggest issues are NOISE & WET TRACTION.

Decent wear would be nice - at least something better than the factory P Zero/Nero bicycle tires !

This Forum has been a great source of info, I respect y'alls opinions & thanks for sharing.

RWSRWS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport (if your budget is a tad bigger). Both are fantastic in wet, will probably be good for 30,000 miles, and offer good street performance

Reactions: RWSRWS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rain is a big issue for me as well, I've owned DW's and now I'm riding on Pilot SS and couldn't be happier. The DW is the best bang for the buck.
==================================

Based on your experience riding on BOTH, which offers the least road noise?

THANKS!

RWSRWS

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Rain is a big issue for me as well, I've owned DW's and now I'm riding on Pilot SS and couldn't be happier. The DW is the best bang for the buck.
+1

The wife's Stang will soon need new tires, I'm going with the Pilot SS as well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had the Continental DW and they are very good tires. I put about 7 track sessions (2 days per session) on them. I can second the statement that they are very good in the rain.

I would also recommend the all season variant, the DWS06. With the all season tires, you'll give up a little bit in dry traction, but I doubt you'd notice on the street. However, you'll have exceptional performance in the rain and you can take a winter drive to the north, if so inclined.

Reactions: Bill'sFive.0

·
Registered
208 Posts
Although you are in Florida, you should still consider 'All Season' tires if ever you think you may be out at temps below 50-55F. Right around this point summer tires will start to fall below All Season tires in traction - especially in the rain, and especially with a GT, especially if you are pushing it one colder morning after a rain...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michelin Pilot Super Sports if you have the cash.
========================================

appears that that specific Michelin the Pilot Super Sports ars no longer available

RWSRWS

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
appears that that specific Michelin the Pilot Super Sports ars no longer available
Which specific PSS tires are you talking about?

Last time I checked, they were available in just about every imaginable size. There are a few different "formulas" for BMW, Mercedes, etc. but that doesn't really matter for our cars; any of them will work fine as long as they have a high enough load rating, and most sizes are available in "XL" which is more than adequate.

Reactions: freewayflyer

·
Super Moderator
7,577 Posts
OMG !

////////////

2013 GT, not tuned, not tracked, has factory upgraded 19" wheels and is used as a fun daily driver. No burnouts, no doughnuts, but I DO like to push her through the turns....

live in Florida, snow/ice not an issue, however wet roads and rain ARE a serious issue.

based on my current wear, will probably do 2 at a time. Where would YOU put the new ones?

My biggest issues are NOISE & WET TRACTION.

Decent wear would be nice - at least something better than the factory P Zero/Nero bicycle tires !

This Forum has been a great source of info, I respect y'alls opinions & thanks for sharing.

RWSRWS
Personally I would buy 4 and go with Conti Extreme DW. I have a set of DW's for winter and have had no problems at all with wear, traction or noise. For summer I put the offset Bullitt's with Sumitomo's back on for show and annoying road noise.

IF you decide to buy two tires at a time, most tire outlets will tell you to place new tires on the rear.

·
Registered
254 Posts
========================================

RWSRWS
Not sure what you mean? The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are one of their most successful tires ever. Tons of OEM's use them. Did you go to a local tire shop that told you that? If that is the case it is because they either can't get them or they want to sell you a different tire that they get some sort of bonus for selling.

If you are looking for a local place that sells them, Discount Tire is one of the biggest Michelin tire retailers in the country and there are Discount Tire's all over the place.

Here they are on Tire Rack
Michelin*Pilot Super Sport

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can't go wrong with choosing continental extreme contact or Michelin PSS, way better than Pirelli p zero

As for new tire pair always on the back!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought Dunlop Direzza DZ102's for my summer set and they haven't steered my wrong yet.

·
Administrator
13,237 Posts
BEST SELLER
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
(1,006)
| Reviews (901)
Consumer RecommendedTire Rack Tested
Click to Compare
MICHELIN
PILOT SUPER SPORT
Max Performance Summer