Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Edelbrock Performer 600cfm carburetor on my 351c 2v and i have a question about the electric choke. all i need to know is how to splice the electric choke to and to what. Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Any keyed 12v power source. Coil would work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Keyed 12 volts is correct. I would NOT connect it to the + side of the coil, or the alternator. You want to tap in to your fuse box under the steering wheel and find your accessory port (for keyed 12V power). You can also set up a relay or buy one. The reason you don't want to connect it to those other places is because it will strain the ignition system. I know the other ways are easier but take your time and have it done right.

The only other place that I have seen it done, is the "I" terminal on the starter selonoid. I have mine in the fuse box under the wheel.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Hello USAmusclefan777,
I just wanted to agree with erikc641.

Over the years I have seen the choke wired to
all the sources he mentioned - BUT for me the best
safest place is to run a wire back to the fuse box.

The blkack wire on the choke can be grounded to the intake
manifold if it is cast iron. Then the red wire goes back to the
fuse box.
Ince at the fuse box you can wedge the wire behind a fuse that
is only live when the key is on.

You can get a litle test light from your local parts store.
It looks like a screwdriver with a wire on one end and a point
on the other. This will tell you what fuse is live only with the key.

On mine - - I attached a flat connector to the wire and it fits right
into the clip in the fue box next to a fuse.

Be sure the fuse is only live with the key or you will drain the battery.

This is the BEST way to do this IMO

Print Dad

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'll throw this out there so if some say it is a bad idea I can change mine. I spliced mine in to the brown wire that goes to the heater blower motor. It is only hot with key on, it is on the same side of the motor as the choke, and it is a fairly short run.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'll probably have to ground the black wire to something else.. my intake is aluminum. As for the red wire I like the fuse panel idea. Can I just use a voltmeter to check which fuse only runs when the ignition is on? And I just wedge the wire behind one side of the fuse terminal?

And how do electric chokes work anyway?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Hello t.mcginley.jr,
Yes juts make a good ground and that will work.

Sure you can use a voltmeter or even a little test light
like I use.

ON my car - -i attached a flat "male end" to the wire to
help it stay behind one side of the fuse.

The way the choke works is pretty basic.

if you see the black "puck" on the side of the carb - -that is the choke
spring housing. Inside is a coiled spring.
The 2 wires send voltage to the spring causing it to
heat just a little. The heat takes tension off the spring and he choke opens.

so cold motor - higher spring tension and a closed choke (not fully closed)
as the car and choke spring warm up - -the choke opens.

Hope this helps

Print Dad

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can actually ground the black wire to the choke housing. Remove one of the 3 screws (T20 or something like that) and put it on and tighten it up. Done. Electric chokes work first setting the choke properly, with just enough tension to keep the butterfly closed. Then with the proper voltage, it gradually heats up a spring inside the choke housing with slowly opens the choke. So on a cold morning the choke is closed. You start the car and by the time you get down the road a little ways, it will be open. To answer your other question, I would just get a fuse checking device at your local auto store. They are very cheap.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Great thanks alot guys!

I don't actually have the carb yet but thats the last thing on my list to buy to complete my rebuild and I know mines gonna have an electric choke. Edelbrock #1403

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where is the closest hole i could route the choke wire through?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Where the blower motor wires exit/enter the firewall I would guess, didn't see what year you're working on?

TMK some of the years that ford used electric chokes they wired them to the STA (stator) on the back of the alt? I have mine wired that way and if I remember correctly it puts out <12V so it heats up the choke spring slowly so it takes 5-10 to open fully, the car is warmed up by that time and the constant minimal voltage keeps it open until the car cools again.

I've never had any trouble with it wired this way, wonder why?
Jon

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Where the blower motor wires exit/enter the firewall I would guess, didn't see what year you're working on?

TMK some of the years that ford used electric chokes they wired them to the STA (stator) on the back of the alt? I have mine wired that way and if I remember correctly it puts out <12V so it heats up the choke spring slowly so it takes 5-10 to open fully, the car is warmed up by that time and the constant minimal voltage keeps it open until the car cools again.

I've never had any trouble with it wired this way, wonder why?
Jon
Stock Ford chokes were designed that way. New Edelbrock carbs require full 12v and instruct you to not use the stator.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You can ground it anywhere you want. One of the choke mounting screws is as good as any and only need a couple inches of wire.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Stock Ford chokes were designed that way. New Edelbrock carbs require full 12v and instruct you to not use the stator.
Ahhh, didn't know that about the Edel. carbs, hadn't used one in years. The STA works perfectly with my BG Demon.
Jon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts