Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the convertible top of my '05 Mustang is delaminated. I attempted a temporary repair this weekend with rhino glue. It wasn't a good fix. I am going to try a couple more ideas between now and the time I am able to afford a new top.
So the opinions I am seeking are related to the following:
Glass back window vs poly/plastic. Vinyl canvas vs true canvas
Hardtop vs soft top.

Any and all opinions and supporting reasons are welcome. 🤓

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly with advice.

·
Administrator
6,902 Posts
Vinyl vs canvas vs cloth is a matter of desirability & cost. I have found that if you take care of the top, it will last. I have yet to see a aftermarket hard top that does not leak or rattle. YMMV

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,373 Posts
I would recommend glass instead of a plastic window since it won't scratch or cloud up like plastic will. As for the top material I would read buyer reviews of the different brands that are out there. Some are made better than others but fitment usually seems to be a problem from many posts on here. Choosing a good top shop that can ensure that you get a proper leak free and good fitting install is probably even more important than the brand/material.

·
Registered
2007 mustang gt convertible. Red
9 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you are with the top. My rear glass had separated from the top. I did a temporary repair, but it needs to be replaced.
I plan to go back with the heated glass and cloth canvas. I had an 04 bmw with original cloth top, it was still in good shape when we sold it last year. The vinyl material is stiff when it's cool and doesn't fold down as easily as the cloth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts