Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to install the Pertronix I module along with the Flamethrower I coil 1.5 ohms.

Tried being the operative word. Yes, I have done all the researching here and on the Web, trying to avoid the pitfalls, yet, here I sit after three hours of trying with my old points and condenser back in the car to make it run.

I have a 66 coupe, 289 sp. manual. Single points, nothing complicated. I removed the points and condenser. Put in the Pertronix unit, gapped it properly, put the plastic round piece that is part of the install kit in also, and yes, it is seated properly.

Put the black wire from the Pert unit on the negative of the coil, the red to the positive and the key on power wire to the red also.

Checked the voltage of the key on power wire, it is 10.69 volts with the key in the run position, should be enough to get spark going.

Before you kill me with "it only works with 12v source" comments, I did what Pertronix suggests in their directions in this case of lower than 12 volts, and jumped the Red wire to the battery for a direct 12v source, that did not get me started.

Installed the Flamethower I coil. Put the rotor back on, everything back together and all I got was a cranking, no start engine.

I even thought maybe it could be a bad coil, so used my old coil to see if it would start, it did not.

I did notice when I was cranking the engine with the Pertronix unit and the Flamethower coil installed a small amout of light smoke, I think coming from the coil area. No smell, just slight wispy smoke. I know, smoke doesnt sound good, but I cannot for the life of me understand what would cause that even.

Is there something obvious here that I am doing wrong? I tried to call Pertronix tech support, but getting a live human has proven to be impossible.

I put the point and condenser I removed back in and it fired right up, so something is up. Could the Pertronix unit be bad, the coil or am I so immersed I am missing something?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
2 things. First, don't bother with the flamethrower coil. I have heard many stories of people who have had problems with the flamethrowers. Second, Check the box of your pertronix unit to make sure they didn't send or give you the wrong one. It may be that your pertronix is for a 6 cylinder, a GM V8, or for a british 6 or 4 banger.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the proper unit for an 8 Cylinder, also, the Flamethower I coil is the right coil to use for this, regardless of if they stink or not. I also eliminated the coil issue by subsituting my original coil back in, to no effect.

·
Registered
312 Posts
HMmm

Ok as an old guy who remembers cars BEFORE electronic ignition here is a trick to get the old points working. put them in and with the cam lobe in the position where the points are OPEN you shoudl be able to slide the edge of a pack of matches in the gap. The thickness of the cardbord will get you in the ...it will run... ballpark. If you do that, wire the points back in with the OLD coil and she does nto at least try to run or make a spark then something else is wrong...I do assume that you checked for spark already and don't have any.

Next you could try to see if the coil makes a spark by putting 12v on it for a sec and a spark plug on the other end...if it makes a spark its ok.

Dan

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OLD points and coil ARE working just fine, your advice is good though, but all the old stuff is just fine.

The OLD coil has plenty O spark, using that even would not work with the Pertronix unit, since I did think maybe the new Flamethrower coil was not good, I think the new coil is good, something is not hooked up right, has to be.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
just remember with that I series to not leave the key turned to the on position or forward it will kill the pertronix just like your points set up :wavey

·
Registered
579 Posts
I sympathize with the tech support. I played phone tag with the guy that called me for three days. He'd call, I was at work. I'd call he'd be busy...good luck on the diagnosis though. I see that you've swapped the coils back and forth, have you tried swapping the pertronix unit for a different one? Perhaps you got a bad one.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It looks kind of obvious that the Pertronix module is bad. What else could it be. You've done all the tests. It all goes back to a bad module, period.

If your luck is like mine, I can't win the lottery, but that one in a million chance of getting something defective off of the shelf, I'm the winner!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Greek,

I concur with your thoughts- I am going to try AGAIN to contact Pertronix today, and see what their suggested test is for the module. I will post once I get an answer, so we can all see what they suggest, if it is anything beyond returning to the retailer.

Of course, I have all ready shortened the wires that run to the coil-so there wasnt alot of extra loop from the Pertronix to the coil(yes, I did that correctly also), so I am sure that will void any warranty!!

Will let you all know later.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I reached Pertronix tech support today, based upon what they told me, the only thing of value I have to try is to make sure the rubber O piece that goes inside the distributor is flush with the top of the Pertronix unit. Contrary to what I have read here and other places, he said that for Ford, the top of the black plastic ring that fits over the distributor spindle and the top of the Pertronix unit need to be of the same height. I will check that out and post later to see if that makes any difference.

He also is going to send me a document on how to test the Pertronix unit itself at home, that should be interesting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact same issue with a Pertronix I. I talked to tech support, they exchanged it for a new one and it fired right up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the type of topic that needs an answer at the end, so I am here to say what the final result to fix the problem was.

1.Called Pertronix yesterday, they gave me a tip about making sure the circular magnet and the top of the pertronix unit were totally level as the next thing to check. They also told me they were going to send me a test procedure to test the Per 1 unit, but never sent it. I easy found it on the Internet anyhow. Their tech was friendly and did a nice job otherwise.

2.I did their prescribed test of the Pertronix module tonight, it did pass the test, as by using their test procedure, the module tested good.

3.I tried to fire up the car after I determined the module was good, no start, just cranking.

4.Pulling the cap and rotor again, I did notice that the circular magnet and the Pertronix unit were in fact, not level and even.

5.I used a rubber garden hose nozzle gasket(the circular kind that you put in the nozzle handle to prevent leaks). Slipped that over the spindle, it is the perfect size and spacer that I needed. Slipped the circular magnet on that and all were now level.

6.Cranked the engine, fired right up.

So, lesson here, the circular magnet and the Pertronix unit need to be at exactly the same height.

BTW-my 66 has a 69 distributor cz9, so I do know it is a problem, as the tech on the phone told me, with Ford in particular.

Hope this info saves someone a headache down the road!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting. I've been thru all of this too, but my question is: if I elevate the magnet collar to be level with the module, my rotor will not press down on shaft far enough to completely seat on the key that properly positions it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tech at Pertronix did mention this also. He suggested I grind off some of the bottom of the rotor, just enough to get it to seat properly.

I have a bench grinder, so it was pretty simple- just shave a hair off the bottom, or whatever you need, just make sure to do it evenly all around.

Also, the couple days I have had the unit in the car, the gap adjustment between the module and the magnet is a trial and error thing. I found my car ran better when it was a bit closer than the .030 gap that is recommended. I suggest playing with that, retiming the car and see what works for you best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
me too

I experienced this same issue when I installed mine. The way I remedied this problem was using Holley Carb. power valve washers under the magnet. They're a perfect fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts