Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading AFM and a number of other Ford forums I became aware of the undocumented "phantom" SYNC USB port named "USB 2"... After some research, I gathered all the pieces and decided to attack it for my weekend project. The goal is to put a 32 GB flash drive of my music in the glove box. MUCH easier than copying CDs one a a time (!) to the juke box... :banghead:

The SYNC box is installed directly above the glove box, (see pic) and is accessed by pressing the sides of glove box door toward each other to allow the stops to clear the dashboard and let the glove box door swing down.

SYNC has the installed USB and the spare USB 2 port in the forward end of the SYNC unit (closest to the firewall). The existing USB cable helps orient the location for the USB 2 port, which is immediately outboard from the SYNC USB cable. (An inspection mirror REALLY helps here.)

From all that I had read, the USB 2 port on the SYNC unit was a micro USB. The actual plug size in the SYNC unit is a USB MINI. (see pic of micro and mini plugs). Of course, I purchased a MICRO cord, but fortunately had a spare MINI that I borrowed from my digital camera.

If you can find one, the ideal cord for this project would be a 24 inch USB cable, with a standard USB female "A" receptacle on one end and a male MINI B on the other (see pic) - In that configuration, the cords I found were either too short (6 inch), or too long (6 feet) and too expensive...

The easiest alternate solution is to find a two foot long cable with USB MALE B MINI and a USB MALE A ends. With this cable,, a female to female "gender changer" is necessary (a government grant may be available) to connect the USB thumb drive.

A length of 1.5 - 3 feet allows enough extra cable to allow the glove box to open and close, and to remove the flash drive without pulling the USB 2 cable from the SYNC box (it is a good idea to ty-rap the USB 2 cable to something to secure it). Longer than 24 inches is OK, except that there will be extra cable to stuff into the commodious glove box. Lots of these cables are available on eBay.

"USB 2" works great. It provides my tunes in the car on a semi permanent bases, allows me to keep the music updated with iTunes, and I don't have to bring and connect my Blackberry if I want my music, and with the right parts (less than $10 - CHEAP!), takes less than a half an hour to accomplish. :yelpleased:

NOTES

1. The SYNC receptacle for the MINI B plug is designed to accept a molded USB MINI B cable end. "Gender changers" are available that go direct from MINI B to FEMALE A, but they are larger at the MINI B end, and I think they will interfere with the SYNC socket .
  2. SYNC plays the USB 2 port, but it does not appear on a menu, and if you turn the car off with USB 2 running, SYNC defaults to the previous active mode.
  3. USB 2 is activated by using the voice command "USB 2". Once selected, it responds to the same commands as the primary USB.
Link to "gender changer"
Amazon.com: USB Gender Changer, A Female To Female: Electronics

EDIT NOTE - You have NO IDEA how much restraint it took to avoid the plethora of comments and innuendos I could have included in this post.... Time for another scotch! :chug_a_lug:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
What I do that also works very well to bring more music is I have a huge flash card in my phone with tunes. It connects automatically by Bluetooth when I get in the car and plays through sync. Just another idea.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The easiest alternate solution is to find a two foot long cable with USB MALE B MINI and a USB MALE A ends. With this cable,, a female to female "gender changer" is necessary (a government grant may be available) to connect the USB thumb drive.
I did something similar, I bought a small portable harddrive (Western Digital Essential) and used this cord:

USB A Female to USB Mini B 5Pin Male adapter Cable 9877 | eBay

Then I went to the local sewing store, got some 2" self-adhesive velcro strip and stuck it to the back of the glovebox.

The only disappointment is that I bought a 500 GB drive to hold the majority of my MP3 collection but SYNC has a stroke when there's more than a certain amount of files and loses the ability to use voice commands. If you get it under about 200GB it uses voice command fine, but you can't get down to "track" level on the commands*.

So I deleted a bunch of the wife's music. :bigthumbsup lol

* From what I've read, 10,000 is the "magic number". Sync indexes by Artist>Album>Track. If you have more than 10,000 songs, then it truncates the index and you can only select by Artist/Album. Likewise, if you had more than 10,000 artists then you can only select by Artist. This seems to be what happens in my case.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool beans - that is a BUNCH of tunes!! :laugh:
Had read somewhere that SYNC began acting up at 10k entries...

So I deleted a bunch of the wife's music. :bigthumbsup lol
You, sir, are a brave man.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
...and I thought having 300 songs on a USB stick was overkill.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
...and I thought having 300 songs on a USB stick was overkill.
Well, I do have a lot of music, I just wanted to be able to clone my music drive so I didn't have to go through the hassle of picking and choosing. Sometimes you're in the mood to listen to a whole album it's nice to have the whole library there.

What I ended up doing is just picking my favorite albums from each artist and their greatest hits package. I think I've got it down to a manageable 200GB/23,000 songs.:shigrin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does the system accept line in if usb2 is plugged in all the time? I know with the regular USB port I have to remove the USB drive to get the line in to work. (2011 with navi)

·
Registered
297 Posts
void usb warranty.

no soup for you..

beers

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Does the system accept line in if usb2 is plugged in all the time? I know with the regular USB port I have to remove the USB drive to get the line in to work. (2011 with navi)
Not sure, TBH; I know that Bluetooth music and USB(1) both work with the USB2 plugged in all the time. I've never used the Line In plug myself, the ipod does USB and Bluetooth. so I never bothered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a problem. I bought a 40GB portable HD. At first , sync did not recognize it at all. so I did some internet digging, and found out that I had to format the HD to fat32. It worked, at least a little. now sync may play 2 songs, and as one song begans, it skips mid play, or flat out display on the index "bad media".

Can anyone help me out with this??? I hate to keep pluggin in my android phone, which only holds 8GB.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Awesome thread, I was just getting over the idea of using that usb receptacle, but your thread inspired me to go ahead and use it up. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
For you guys installing external HDD's, arent you worried about overheating?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I read all this, and can't figure out why you just don't use the normal USB input.. especially if all you're doing is running a flash drive.

I'm a huge fan of Sparky's idea, though. I've always thought it would be awesome to have a HD in the car.
I'm assuming it is powered by the USB. Correct?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I read all this, and can't figure out why you just don't use the normal USB input.. especially if all you're doing is running a flash drive.

I'm a huge fan of Sparky's idea, though. I've always thought it would be awesome to have a HD in the car.
I'm assuming it is powered by the USB. Correct?
Good question...so many drives, even the 2.5" laptop external drives require more power off the USB port than almost anything that is not plugged directly into the motherboard can provide. That said, with the 12v accessory plug in the center console, you could get a DC to AC converter and power the hard drive off of that.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I was going to add a cable to the USB2 port to avoid having a flash drive sticking out of the USB port in the console. But then I found the world's smallest SD card reader (about $10 on Amazon) so I can leave it plugged into the console USB port without worrying about damaging it when rummaging around for something in there.

Only the black part at the bottom of the right side photo protrudes from the USB port - that's only about 1/4" sticking out. I put a 16GB micro-SD card in it (which holds about 3,000 tracks) and it's easily accessible when I want to update it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
nice! i see more room in my center console very soon!
Unfortunately I keep mine locked due to hitting it with my elbow...so this won't make any difference for me.

To the OP, nice write up! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I was going to add a cable to the USB2 port to avoid having a flash drive sticking out of the USB port in the console. But then I found the world's smallest SD card reader (about $10 on Amazon) so I can leave it plugged into the console USB port without worrying about damaging it when rummaging around for something in there.

Only the black part at the bottom of the right side photo protrudes from the USB port - that's only about 1/4" sticking out. I put a 16GB micro-SD card in it (which holds about 3,000 tracks) and it's easily accessible when I want to update it.
Sweet. I like that a lot.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts