1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That kit is what you need. If you want to add cams, then figure in about another $600 or so and if the new cams require different springs, I think those are another $250. I'm getting really close to having all my parts ready. I didn't want to pay the heafty price for all new stuff so I'm peicing it together with used parts. So far I have assembled heads, intake, and FRPP head changing kit for $635. I just need a couple more gaskets and little stuff and I'm ready to roll. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The Parkway kit is known to be one of the most complete.
http://www.parkwayperformance.com/2vheadswap.asp
Probably worth calling them and asking them if they have any sort of cam upgrade (Comp 262AH's?) as an option. DBill correct: springs would be nice as well. Even w/o cam upgrade, this would really improve set-of-the-pants feel, especially if you have some complimentary mods already (CAI or at least K&N filter, TB/Plenum, cat-back, gears, etc.) The swap best if professionally tuned.

If patient, as DBill has been, can piece together major components used and save some money. Swap requires premium fuel!, suggest a 180 thermostat & some Water Wetter. Even just swapping to the PI intake manifold w/o the rest of the swap returns good gains. If can afford the extra time when swapping this certainly gives you the chance to paint & clean up things during the process.

Helpful swap article:
http://www.bossracing.net/Tech Articles/Tech Articles.htm

Solving 2nd sensor issue: 1) can be put in existing block plug as indicated in article 2) can be installed in a t-fitting w/other sensor 3) new PI intake can be tapped.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have also heard of guys making even more power with PI intake and port NPI heads, why not just port your heads? :?:

·
Registered
11 Posts
PI heads only have an increase of 35 HP and you need the PI manifold that altogether is about $900 just for the parts no installation. Hmm.. that sounds like a waste of time and money to me. Get the cams and if you haven't had to replace your plastic manifold do that. I could see if your going to race the car and your buget is large but other than that I can't see swapping heads

98 GT
kenne bell S/C 9 PSI Intercooled
390 RWHP NO PI HEADS

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recently did the PI swap on my 97 GT 5 spd and it was worth the swap. My car started off at 185 rwhp & 255 rwtq with only 69,000 miles. After the swap and a few more bolt on's I ended up with 253 rwhp & 296 rwtq. For anybody willing to do the swap keep this in mind. You will need a newer heater hose (01 & newer), shorter plug in back of block behind water pump, newer upper rad hose, newer thermostat housing ( bolt holes are different than a early intake), 4 upper bolts for the timing chain cover ( bolt holes in heads are larger than early heads & you need 2 per side). If you install a new set of aftermarket cams, do not buy any of the PI Comp Cams. I tried to install the XE262AH cams and didn't have enough valve clearance so I had to use the PI cams that came with the heads. My engine has flattop pistons and not all non-PI Mustangs are the same. Have your checked before you buy the cams or just buy non-PI cams. There is about 3-5 hp difference between the non-PI & PI Comp Cams of the same size.

97 GT 5 spd

03 PI heads-intake-cams, BBK long tube ceramic headers, BBK short x-pipe w/ cats, Magnaflow Magnapacks exhaust, Tremec TKO tranny, Steeda ADJ. clutch cable-quadrant-firewall adjuster, Pro 5.0 shifter, Ram powergrip clutch, Spec SFI aluminum flywheel, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, Accufab 75mm throttlebody & plenum kit, FRPP 13" Cobra brake kit, 03 Cobra 17x9 front & 17x10.5 rims, Nitto NT555 255/40 front & 285/40 rear tires, Speed Index CAI w/ 9" K&N filter, SCT X-cal tuner

9.63 @ 79 mph in 1/8 mile before swap with worn street tires (only had exhaust)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.