Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of improvement can I expect to see in my '04 GT 4.6 if I put the PI intake manifold on. I think the one I'm looking at is the black plastic one.:help:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
99-04 Gts came stock with the PI parts (Intake, cams, heads). So you already have it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dollarbill said:
99-04 Gts came stock with the PI parts (Intake, cams, heads). So you already have it.
oh, ok, so what's that black pi intake I see advertized? Do you know what the next step up cam would be? E303 etc?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Oh, Larry's got it bad - he has parts in the garage that haven't made it on the car yet, and he's thinking cams and other toys. Larry, your wife is positively going to kill you!

PI stands for Performance Improved, the changes Ford made (heads/cams/intake) to the mod motor in 99. All 99 & newer GTs have the better stuff. Don't know which black manifold you're talking about but shoot me or us the link and I'll take a look. There are a couple of aftermarket intakes but pricey. For cams, might want to read here: http://www.vtengines.com/main.htm , http://www.compcams.com/ Guys around here seem partial to VT cams - there are a lot of choices. In the Comp area, would look at 262AH's/270AH's including valve springs. Labor to do this is significant. Given the amount of work & price for head porting/cam upgrades (if not able to do yourself), many guys look straight at superchargers.

Did you get your Ultralite II's on the car yet? How bout a Mach I chin spoiler next? Transmission cooler?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Forget the intake

Larry, good news is that you don't need the new intake (only meaningful options availabe are the Bullit, SVO and Fox Lake P-51 - all very pricey, with limited benefits in my view).

Bad news is that you obviously have a serious case of the mod bug. Personally, I've stopped moding my 02 GT, and am biding my time for one of 2 things to happen: Either I find the $5000+ I will need to put an intercooled Kenne Bell 1.7 on the car, or the new Shelbie GT500 comes out and I'm off the races trying to get one of those!

We should all start a new forum around here called "mods annonymous", where we can confess our sins and recount the numerous mods we did KNOWING we'd have to undo them for an even MORE costly and ambitious upgrade!

Failing that, all us married mod-freaks had better start accumulating the phone numbers of good divorce lawyers...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright you two. It's a hobby ok? My wife wanted me to have one. A cheaper one no doubt, but I shop alot, ask lots of questions then I work bonus shifts to feed the monkey. This may be the wrong forum but I'll tell you one of the things that drives me. I had an older foxbody roar up next to me on an onramp and gun his engine. I floored it, he hung with me for a few seconds then was left in the dust. I have no idea if it was a good kill or not but dang whoever said it was right, "The faster you go, the faster you wanna go". Go ahead, make my day! Sell me on the superchargers. Pro's/cons Besides the obvious $$$'s) :smilie

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Twin Screw

Install the tb & plenum (I did mine in about 2 hours - 1 hour of which was spent talking about cars with my brother on the phone), enjoy them, and start saving your overtime for a Kenne Bell 1.7 ($4500 or so plus installation - Modular Powerhouse in Alpharetta, Georgia does the install and tune for $850, just for reference).

Of course, that new tb will work, but the plenum will hit the resale pile, as will the CAI and (if you follow Kenne Bell recommendation) the 180 thermostat.

Congrats on the kill. In my neighborhood I have a SRT-4 thats been wanting to race (though never from a dead stop - always a drive by on the interstate in rush hour traffic),
and I just laugh at the young guy (he's obnoxious, to boot). For one thing, I'm too smart to play tag on the freeway during Atlanta's morning rush hour - talk about stupid! My car is a vert, so I outweigh him about 650 pounds (!), so any rolling-race would be pro-forma if his car is healthy, even in stock form, which his is assuredly not. I've tried to get him to meet me at the local strip, but no show. He's got an upgraded turbo rig with an adjustable wastegate that seems to me to be a bit tighter than is good for him...

Passed him sitting on the side of the road last month with the hood up and a sick expression on his face - another busted 2004 SRT-4 with just a bit too much boost and a guy wondering how to swap the original parts back on and lie his way through a warranty repair... Can't say that I'm sorry to see his plight (haven't seen his car in about 3 weeks, come to think of it). Dealer might have spotted the swap.

Passed another SRT-4 (black, shiney, new looking) with the hood up and pulled over and offered the guy a ride. Same story - aftermarket turbo, maybe a few too many revs, and the 6000 mile motor went bang. He was "pretty sure" the dealer would give him a new engine, though his biggest problem was that he'd already sold the oe turbo rig... Wrecker showed up about then, and we parted ways. I hope he was smart enough to have the tow truck put his car back in his driveway instead of the dealer's lot.

Be advised these little turbo cars (WRX's, SRT-4's, etc.) are wicked fast once they get the turbo spun up. Avoid rolling confrontations - the advantage is weighted too much in their favor...

Sorry to be off topic. The SRT-4 story was fresh in my mind.

Be patient - get the blower. If you must make improvements while waiting for the cash horde to build, put a good cobra brake kit on the car, suspension upgrades, wheels, tires, billet bling, etc.

We in Mods Anonymous know the pain, and are always willing to listen.

·
Registered
676 Posts
tripleblack said:
Be patient - get the blower. If you must make improvements while waiting for the cash horde to build, put a good cobra brake kit on the car, suspension upgrades, wheels, tires, billet bling, etc.
Great advice. I echo the patience rule ..... but, looking at suspension, braking and exhaust can scratch that itch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.