Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot people on here, I was looking for just a little more power out of my GT. First I did an intake (Steeda) and tune, next it was 3.73:1 gears (I have an auto) and Steeda lower control arms. I weighed all of my options and decided nitrous was for me. I finally finished the install last week and filled the bottle!

I went through the trouble of getting a nitrous tune from Fred at Evolution Performance. I like this one a lot better than the generic SCT Tune that I've been using for almost two years. I have 100% confidence in this tune, especially after spraying nitrous widen open throttle with an ambient temperature of 94 degrees. Absolutely no pinging!

I put the system together with the following:

- NOS 02121 Single Port Wet Kit
- Edelbrock 30 psi fuel pressure safety swtich
- NOS remote bottle opener
- NOS blow down tube and adapter
- NOS purge kit
- NOS bottle heater
- I will soon be adding a nitrous pressure gauge onto the bottle.

NOS 02121 includes a combination window switch and throttle position switch. It's capable of controling a two stage kit and has a pretty slick digital read out. It can also be used to run a shift light, which I obviously don't need, since I have an auto!

I also have a Aerofroce Scan gauge to measure fuel pressure at the rail using the factory Ford sensor. In addition, I've discovered that the throttle position sensor will reach the recommended 4.3 volts when the pedal is depressed 58%, which the Aeroforce Tech gauge also measures.

When I'm between 3k and 6k RPM and the throttle position is at 58% the system should be on and functioning.

It's a little frustrating that there is no industry standard when rating these kits. This particular kit includes 50 shot jetting and 75 shot jetting. NOS measures these numbers at the CRANK, not at the wheels. An equivalent shot from other manufacturers that rate at the wheels, such as NX, would be about 40 hp and 60 hp, assuming a 15% driveline loss. Obviously, it's pretty easy to up the horsepower by changing jets.

These modest shots require no change in spark plug gap, colder plugs, or modifications to stock timing (definitely NOT compatible with aftermarket tunes not designed for nitrous!). I had a lengthy discussion on the phone with NOS about the plug issue, just to be certain. They recommend new plugs with 100 hp or 125 hp NOS jetting.

I found the included instructions to be quite good. Most of my time was spent looking for general hardware, like the right carbide bits or locating the proper self tapping screws. Of course, making things look "pretty" was also a high priority.

I did experience some snags. For one, my Ford Racing Strut Tower brace would not clear the fuel rail adapter. Luckily, I was able to sell it quickly. Secondly, I broke off the wires connecting the thermostat to the heater...oh, well, that's why we have soldering irons!

I would recommend saving up enough money for the entire kit you intend to install. Including accessories. You'll find the accessories much easier to install at once, instead of adding them later. It greatly simplifies the wiring in my opinion.

I could have simplified the wiring quite a lot, but I wanted complete control over all systems. The pilot switch controls power to the purge, bottle opener and arm switch, while the thermostatically controlled heater can be operated independently. Everything is wired to 12 V switchable power, no key and it all turns off.

Here's a few magazine articles on the kit:

S197 Mustang NOS Nitrous Kit Install - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

2005 Ford Mustang GT - NOS Wet Nitrous System - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Check out the youtube videos of my installation, including a purge!

YouTube - 2006 S197 Mustang GT NOS Nitrous Purge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVTxTbmCLsI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3PBA-D64A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8aafDvP4sQ

Finally, nitrous oxide has to be the most misunderstood vehicle performance product out there! Even a lot of "car guys" assume it will instantly destroy any engine in any quantity, no matter what. I have never read more myths and mistruths in my entire life. I've had a lot of fun with the 50 hp shot and can't wait to go to 75!

If you have some modest electrical skills and a few decent tools, then you can do this install. Trust me. I've done a lot to this car, gauges, aluminum rear window louvers, grille, chin spoiler, etc...and now a working nitrous kit. Maybe I'll learn how to do an oil change next?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I am a true believer! Check my times with about the same mods as you on the 125 shot.No suspension work at all, just drag radials.Goin to the track again in a couple weeks and hope to hit an 11.60 or so!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice work! Looking forward to hearing your 1/4 times.

F/I is a little spendy for me with my first heading off to college, so I'm seriously considering Nitrous. Did you compare the Zex system to NOS? What made you land on this kit vs. Zex?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nitrous is a great thing! I was scared about it too at first until I really sat down got every piece of information I could and read it all. Nitrous is only dangerous if installed by someone who likes to cut corners and not take all of the available precautions. Yeah, if you spray at part throttle, under 3k rpm's, don't back the timing off change your plugs and try to put 200hp shot to a stock motor yeah you'll have problems. But like you and me, if you have a window switch, dyno tune 125 shot like me, low fuel pressure cut off switch shouldn't have any problems. Of course something can go wrong, but that can happen with any performance part so it's just part of the game. I love my set up, I've taken it to the track and gotten used to it and worked the bugs out of the system, (only bug was a bad connection to the bottle heater which made my night short because I couldn't keep the pressure up) But I get a big ole smile every time I'm on the juice too! I made my purge come out of the pony's nose as well. It looks really cool at night, I wanted to get the LED kit but couldn't hide it like I wanted to but still it looks cool.

By the way, I now have two bottles and heaters, it makes a HUGE difference at the track keeping the pressure regulated. I ran 8 runs a couple weeks ago and never dropped below 1000 psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey sounds like ur gonna have a lot of fun with that. +1 on the install notes/documentation and the purge out of the pony. That's awesome!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work! Looking forward to hearing your 1/4 times.

F/I is a little spendy for me with my first heading off to college, so I'm seriously considering Nitrous. Did you compare the Zex system to NOS? What made you land on this kit vs. Zex?
Firstly, I think both look like great kits. One comes from Comp Cams (had one of their cams in a Corvette, so I trust them) and NOS, which has been doing this for 30 years or so. You'd think that either of these has the experience and engineering talent to design a safe kit!

NOS included throttle position switch and the window switch in one combined unit. I like the idea that my safety devices are integrated in one unit and already included with the kit. It is a nice switch, the end user can easily adjust the throttle position sensor and the RPM using the digital read out.

The NOS window switch is actually nice enough to mount in the car, which NOS encourages in their instructions. I prefer it in the engine bay, however, NOS does have a point. It would be pretty cool to see exactly when the nitrous is spraying, especially for troubleshooting.

Secondly, I wanted to try out a 50 shot first and NOS included 50 hp jets and 75 hp jets. Zex starts at 75 hp and I believe that's at the wheels (should be more powerful than the 75 hp crank rated NOS jetting). The bottle lasts quite a while with a 50 shot and at that level, the nitrous becomes a small kick you can use for everyday situations like passing. (No flames, please, I know it's illegal to use on the street.) I wanted to start low and work my way up.

Running nitrous means pulling timing. That's no big deal on a stock Mustang, since both of these kits are safe for stock timing. I had already gotten used to a performance tune. I wanted pull as little timing from my custom tune as possible, another motivation to start low and work my way up.

Nitrous is pretty cool even with the baby 50 shot. It's not so much the acceleration at that level (it does chirp my tires!), but it's the incredible revs. I'm at 6,000 rpm before you know it. Great stuff!

Less nitrous means more hits on the bottle. NX nitrous says 0.8 lbs of nitrous for 10 seconds equals 100 hp. They imply on their website that there is a direct relationship between consumption and hp, so...0.4 lbs of nitrous for 10 seconds equals a 50 hp shot. Assuming you can use 7 lbs of nitrous in a 10 lbs bottle, then the bottle should last about 3 minutes instead of 1:40 seconds.

This car does 0-60 in 5 seconds stock. That's a lot of on ramp runs to 80 mph, spraying just a few seconds at a time. Again, personal preference here. Obviously, a 100 hp shot is far and above what I experience at 50 hp! It's always a tradeoff between bottle conservation and hp!

The NOS kit does not install as cleanly as Zex. However, if something were to malfunction, then I can replace one part at a time, instead of an entire box.

Zex can also measure nitrous pressure and adjust fuel accordingly through this computer. Hopefully, the NOS wet kit and the tune will ensure that I'm running the proper A/F mixture at higher pressures. Now, when my bottle pressure runs low, then I'm going to run rich, Zex does have an advantage there. (The bottle heater should help combat that problem.)

However, I prefer simplicity in a system. The nitrous management unit adds another failure point. Again, no flame intended, just personal preference.

I've generally had the best luck when using parts designed by the same manufacturer. There were some Zex accessories I didn't like. For example, the NOS heater is connected to 12V switchable power through a relay, that means it's off when the ignition is off. The Zex kit warns you "not to leave the bottle heater on when the vehicle is not in use". Murphy's Law says I'll probably leave the heater on and walk away from the car, that's a recipe for a dead battery!

There are definitely pros and cons to each system. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

..NOS included throttle position switch and the window switch in one combined unit.
Zex monitors the TPS and adds the juice at WOT. Are you saying the NOS kit added a TPS?

Also, what is a Window switch? Is that what enforces an RPM range for spray?

From what I can tell with the Zex kit, you flip a switch to arm it and it sprays at WOT. Does the Zex system monitor RPM's to ensure spray doesn't engage < 2500rpm?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply.

Zex monitors the TPS and adds the juice at WOT. Are you saying the NOS kit added a TPS?

Also, what is a Window switch? Is that what enforces an RPM range for spray?

From what I can tell with the Zex kit, you flip a switch to arm it and it sprays at WOT. Does the Zex system monitor RPM's to ensure spray doesn't engage < 2500rpm?
I'm sorry, that's a poor communication on my part! I meant WIDE OPEN THROTTLE SWITCH, which attaches to the TPS.

Correct. The NOS wide open throttle switch ALSO monitors throttle position (so it's monitoring the CAR's TPS, it doesn't add it's own!), meaning you only spray at WOT. In addition, it also acts as an window switch, so you automatically spray at appropriate RPM. It's a combination unit: Window switch/WOT switch.

It's unsafe to spray nitrous below 2,500 rpm or so (NOS suggests 3k rpm as a bottom). That's because the volume of nitrous going to each cylinder increases as RPM decreases. I'm sure you can think of times where you're going WOT and you're below 2,500 rpm.

Most of those nitrous backfires you see on the line (just search youtube!) are probably caused by people spraying at an RPM that's too low.

It's also unsafe to spray anywhere near your rev limiter. On most cars, the rev limiter cuts fuel and with no fuel you're going to run lean! The window switch prevents you from spraying at too high an RPM. In my opinion, it's not safe to operate nitrous without a window switch!

Zex does not include a window switch. They do sell one as an add on, it's not included with the main kit. Zex only includes a WOT switch. NOS combines the window switch and wide open throttle switch into one unit and sells it with the basic kit.

The NOS operates exactly like the Zex. Simply turn on one switch to arm, and go to WOT. When you're at WOT and the window switch sees 3k rpm (or whatever you programmed) then it automatically sprays. Press a button and mash the gas, it's that easy.

If you rev the engine too high and bump the rev limiter, then the window switch automatically cuts the system off long before the engine cuts fuel.

I've simply wired mine to be more complex, because I wanted to control power to all the switches using a master switch. I can easily open the bottle and arm the system with one switch, which is normally what I do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops. Let out one photo from the pics. I figured I should add a fire extinguisher for daily driving and so I can use it at the track. I tried a few spots but this seemed to work the best.

Don't worry, I weighed the extinguisher and it's only 3 lbs! Hopefully, that won't be too hard on the latch. Mounting was a breeze. I just used some velcro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You can cay all you want, it is too late, your hooked:happyhapp Might as well order the HT0 plugs now and set up a dynoTune date for th 125 shot.:bigthumbsup MINE DID NOT EVEN GET OFF THE DYNO BEFORE SWITCHING FROM 75-100 SHOT.That lasted about a month until i switched to the 125's. I only used 3 lbs last week, down from about 7:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
367 Posts
how much is it to fill a bottle (standard size) and where do you fill it?

btw, that stang looks BADASS! mines the exact opposite color scheme and about 12 years older lol:shigrin

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a performance shop about 20 minutes from my house that sells it. All it took was a couple of calls in the yellowpages. It was $60 with tax to a standard 10 lbs bottle.

NOS has an automated 1-800 number that will tell you the closest nitrous fill station. It's on their webpage. I'd find a local dealer that way and ask him how much he's charging.

I'm fairly certain I can beat that price if I shop around and drive further. To offset the cost of gas, I was thinking I could purchase a second 10 lbs bottle and store it the garage and just fill two bottles at the same time.

I should point out that you can't use all the nitrous in a bottle. I think about 70% percent is pretty much "empty". Next time, I'll only have to buy 7 lbs or about $35-$40.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I found a performance shop about 20 minutes from my house that sells it. All it took was a couple of calls in the yellowpages. It was $60 with tax to a standard 10 lbs bottle.

NOS has an automated 1-800 number that will tell you the closest nitrous fill station. It's on their webpage. I'd find a local dealer that way and ask him how much he's charging.

I'm fairly certain I can beat that price if I shop around and drive further. To offset the cost of gas, I was thinking I could purchase a second 10 lbs bottle and store it the garage and just fill two bottles at the same time.

I should point out that you can't use all the nitrous in a bottle. I think about 70% percent is pretty much "empty". Next time, I'll only have to buy 7 lbs or about $35-$40.
I pay $3.75 per lb in Michigan.You are correct about only getting to use about 7 lbs though.I top mine off very week but was also thinking about getting a second bottle and installing it inline.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dual bottle setups are pretty cool if you use a lot of nitrous...and it sounds like you do!

I've thought about it, but I think it would take up more trunk space than I'm willing to part with. The sub for the Shaker 1000 keeps me from using the space on the passenger side.

Still, keeping a second 10lbs bottle in the garage at least, is very tempting. I was just checking out E-bay and it looks like lightly used and unused nitrous bottles from all manufactures go for about half price. Very tempting...

Does anyone know where I can get a good price on eight HT0 plugs? It seems like everyone wants $80 for eight! I can't run a larger shot without them!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good stuff have fun

Nitrous is definatly addicting I will hopefully hit my 11's tomorrow on drag radials. And it will fell amazing to do the same thing that the supercharged or turbo people are doing for about 4 grand less.

I bought the NX plate kit and think it's the best kit for the S197 other than direct port. but the NOS bottle heater is not so good the parts are fragile for example the thermostats are spererate so you have to secure them every time you fell and risk breaking the wire off the sauder Ihad to fix mine last night.

Just for suggestion I suggest

NX Plate Kit ( I have )
Zex duel purge kit cool effect to outlet and cheapest kit. ( I have)
Zex bottle heater ( wish I had bought in the first place )
NX comes with wide open throttle all you need
Also speed of sound has a cup holder switch kit that you might like it makes thing look a lot cleaner. they have a lot of different configurations and it's resonably priced.

heres the link: Speed of Sound 2005+ Ford Mustang Cup Holder Switch Panels

And finally the shop I go to got a dyno and just started doing appointments I will have HP and new 1/4 mile times sat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The SOS switch plate looks great! I looked at it, but it had two problems:

The NOS bottle opener uses the LED to indicate the position of the bottle. When the LED blinks the bottle is opening or closing, solid means it's open. I wanted to use a switch with an LED to keep this feature. I also wanted to be able to use the cupholder.

I went with the NOS heater because it uses a relay to turn off the power with the key. I read the ZEX instructions and the heater hooked directly to the battery. If I forgot to turn it off, then my battery would be toast.

I had a similar issue with the NOS thermostat. The wires are not soldered securely. In fact, they broke off during the install! (Annoying, but not dangerous, when the thermostat is unhooked it kills the power to the heater.)

I soldered the wires back and haven't had an issue since. Agreed, they should change the design to mount the thermostat near the heating element instead of on the strap.

I figured out that the voltage required to operate the system occurs at something like 58% throttle. I programmed the LED on the Aeroforce gauge to illuminate whenever I go passed that point, so now I know exactly when I'm spraying. I'll try and take video if I can.

I also switched tunes. Bama Chips sent me one for a 75 hp shot yesterday. It seems to perform better than my previous tune from Evolution! I was afraid I'd have to give up something when I went to a higher shot, but not so.

Good luck getting into the 11's!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Maybe I'll learn how to do an oil change next?
Whoa there! Better pace yourself.
You can't just jump right into important maintenance work like that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.