Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker and I are always going back and forth about the Genesis coupe. So were all the car mags for a while, come to think of it. I have no interest in it, but he always tries to talk it up. (Just busting my balls I think) Anyways, I will admit, having seen them in pictures, and from a distance or at speed, I thought to myself "yeah, that's actually not too bad looking."
Today, I just happened to end up next to a Genesis 3.8 in a parking lot. First impression up close, yuck. Actually looking up close and in person, I was not impressed. The exterior looked kind of cheap, and plasticky (which should be quite an insult coming from a Mustang driver) and reminded me of an Altima.
I snapped a pair of quick side by side shots. If I had to choose between the Mustang (V6 or V8) or the Genesis I can't imagine it being a competition.
Being camera phone pics, they don't really do either car justice, and both were quite dirty but I guess that makes it even. I just figured it would be interesting to show a real world side by side, without the pro lighting and angle magic of an MT C&D mag.

Not even in the same league appearance wise, IMHO.

Attachments

· Registered
823 Posts
Why is the genesis even brought up when talking about muscle cars lol that thing a ugly jap looking thing lol

· Registered
2,666 Posts
The genesis coupe looks like a reject of the Inifiniti G37. Based on looks alone I wouldn't even consider a Genesis Coupe. I hear that they have got a lot of oversteer issues when they are on the track anyway. I like the fact it has GDI, which is nice and wish Ford would get on the roll about direct injection with the Mustang.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
I always hated Korean cars & still do. They have no soul, just a piece of metal assembled together for profit. I still can't forget my uncle accident with his Hyundai, it wasn't even an big impact but the car sliced in half from the middle, miraculously he survived. I never feel safe driving one.

G

·
I actually test drove one before ending up with the V6 Mustang. It squeaked and rattled (not a lot but noticeable), and that was kind of offputting. What initially attracted me was that for about $29k I could have a fully loaded GC. It was basically priced right between a V6 Premium and a GT Premium. I kind of liked the dynamics of the drive. The interior was okay, but the exterior had very flimsy plastic on the blue one I drove. There was a small round plastic plug that kept popping off the rear bumper. The salesman couldn't get it to go back on correctly and simply pocketed it to fix later I guess. And at the time, I think the original GC had 306hp, so power output was basically a draw. The final straw for me was that I knew I wanted a car I could mod, and at the time (this was 2010), there really wasn't much out there. I knew that tweaking a V6 would potentially be less expensive than my 350z was, so here I am. I've got 56,000 miles and so far so good. No squeaks or rattles and I've got some pretty good mods that make my car run.

· Registered
975 Posts
A coworker and I are always going back and forth about the Genesis coupe. So were all the car mags for a while, come to think of it. I have no interest in it, but he always tries to talk it up. (Just busting my balls I think) Anyways, I will admit, having seen them in pictures, and from a distance or at speed, I thought to myself "yeah, that's actually not too bad looking."
Today, I just happened to end up next to a Genesis 3.8 in a parking lot. First impression up close, yuck. Actually looking up close and in person, I was not impressed. The exterior looked kind of cheap, and plasticky (which should be quite an insult coming from a Mustang driver) and reminded me of an Altima.
I snapped a pair of quick side by side shots. If I had to choose between the Mustang (V6 or V8) or the Genesis I can't imagine it being a competition.
Being camera phone pics, they don't really do either car justice, and both were quite dirty but I guess that makes it even. I just figured it would be interesting to show a real world side by side, without the pro lighting and angle magic of an MT C&D mag.

Not even in the same league appearance wise, IMHO.
In all fairness, THAT particular genesis looks like ****, the newer ones do look better than that though:

· Registered
2,449 Posts
To be fair I think Hyundai in general has some really great looking cars right now, and in some categories they have the best looking car on the market. But all I can say is what the hell went wrong when they designed the Genesis?

I am quite proud that I convinced a co-worker to look at Mustangs before buying the 2013 Genesis coupe he was dead-set on and he bought a 2013 Mustang Convertible instead.

· Registered
461 Posts
I think the Genesis is a better looking car than the Mustang. It has a more upscale look IMO. I was able to drive one briefly and while I love the way it looks it's just not a good daily driver. maybe for the 20 something corwd it is perfect, but for the 40 plus the mustang is a much more well rounded car.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wait, it will be said in all seriousness at some point in this thread.

When it is, that poster gets a prize and a special dunce...uhh.. party hat. .

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that newer genesis looks much better. they fixed the wheels and overall styling, but I still hate the cut of that door for one, and the fact that it looks like a Nisaan Altima got knocked up by an old Hyundai Tiburon.

The new Sonatas don't look bad, but then again I hate how it always looks like Hyundai and even more so, Kia just took a basic frame, and wrapped it in 3-5 design cues they've stolen from whatever is doing well right now.

· Registered
949 Posts
I really like the Genesis Coupe, other than the weird dip in the rear windows, and the cheap feeling interior. However, if they made it with the Tau 5L V8, I would've seriously cross shopped with the 5.0 Mustang I did buy.

I wanted a V8, not a V6 or turbo four.

· Registered
490 Posts
I love the genesis. Looks clean with the right set of wheels, and the 2.0 has potential being factory boosted. Unlike a lot of people, I don't discriminate by cylinders or make, as long as the car can perform and has potential, plus looks good, who gives a **** who makes it or if "damn boy that car ain't meant to go fast turn left!"

· Registered
36 Posts
I agree with J Orbit, and Turd Burglar. The Genesis was a consideration; however, with no aftermarket support, and with the 3.8 Track package coming in just past 30K, I wouldn't even entertain it anymore. IMO, if you love performance, it shouldn't matter who made it, how many cylinders, doors, etc... As long as it's fun to drive.

Sent from my PC36100 AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
1,044 Posts
The genesis coupe is just not a masculine enough car. It's not muscle, it's not american. It's trying to fit the BRZ/FRS buyer's segment but have the power on paper attributes of an american muscle car. It just doesn't work in either. I'd be extremely embarrassed to own one... I'd be embarrassed enough to own a Z, but a GC is about twice as girly and juvenile.

· Registered
975 Posts
The genesis coupe is just not a masculine enough car. It's not muscle, it's not american. It's trying to fit the BRZ/FRS buyer's segment but have the power on paper attributes of an american muscle car. It just doesn't work in either. I'd be extremely embarrassed to own one... I'd be embarrassed enough to own a Z, but a GC is about twice as girly and juvenile.
You made a lot of ridiculous sounding statements for one post. The genesis coupe might not be as masculine as a classic american muscle car, but it's no more or less mascule than a g37 or 911, and I see mostly guys driving those. You'd be embarassed to own a GC? What exactly is embarassing about it. If anything, a Z is far more girly of a car than a GC. How exactly does it not compete with either the brz or the mustang buyer's segment? They certainly seem to be selling, I see them all over the place.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Looks like a wannabe suped up Tiburon. Not a fan at all.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
You made a lot of ridiculous sounding statements for one post. The genesis coupe might not be as masculine as a classic american muscle car, but it's no more or less mascule than a g37 or 911, and I see mostly guys driving those. You'd be embarassed to own a GC? What exactly is embarassing about it. If anything, a Z is far more girly of a car than a GC. How exactly does it not compete with either the brz or the mustang buyer's segment? They certainly seem to be selling, I see them all over the place.
If one wants track performance, get a better handling, more nimble BRZ or FRS.
If one wants cheap nostalgia, street cred, and raw power, get a better looking, better sounding, more noteworthy american pony/muscle car.
If one wants luxury, every day practicality, and a sense of higher class, get a G series.

The GC is a frankenstein of a car. It has lesser styling than, but imo most similar to a BRZ/FRS. It has lesser performance than, but most similar to a GT. It has an interior and price tag that is lesser than, but most similar to a G. And if luxury, handling, AND power are the most important, get a Porsche. Nowhere does the clown faced GC fit in. Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I don't know of anyone who owns one or has ever thought of owning one and I know a LOT of car enthusiasts in my area. Mustangs, camaros, G37's, and corvettes are the most popular choices around here. Comparing the GC and Z, I'd have to say they're both nothing I would be caught dead driving, but I would at least rather a recognizable, cult favorite, tried and true Z over a hyundai...

· Registered
823 Posts
like I care of its Chinese , japeanse, Korean I won't buy it. Enough said

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.