Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Believe it or not - this thread helped me fix a fridge/freezer problem. The unit was an upper fridge/lower freezer and occasionally the freezer would have a bunch of ice built up in the back and on the bottom which required unloading the freezer and melting the ice with a hairdryer. The problem was the defrost drain under the freezer coils. Based on the defrost timer, the freezer coils would be heated and this would melt the ice and the water should have drained out this little drain hole into a pan by the compressor. I pulled the fridge out to see where the drain was going, I saw a smaller version of that rubber drain with the pinched off discharge grommet which restricted the draining of water because of a bit of stuff in it. I pulled this little rubber grommet of and haven't had the issue since.
Thanks for the pics. Oh yeah - I checked the Mustang as well and thankfully no debris in the grommet.
Excellent! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a add as this part # was not easily available by my googling for the common water topics

the retainer clips that go along the cowl metal or I guess 2nd firewall leak also they have a foam backer to them they were the major leak point for my 2005 I just got, a couple were missing from previous owner body work. I took all the foam backers off and use some good weather strip adhesive to make them permenantly in place. Also check the seems in the firewall metal the original adhesive was failing

Ford Part # for clip 9r3z-63517c58-A

the new ones had better foam backer but imo use adhesive

also to get cowl panel off the wipers were seriously stuck in place had to get a battery terminal puller to get loose.

I had to use puller leave in place, lube with penetrating oil after puller was left in place about to break from pressure and wiggle wiper blade up and down at same time to make them pop loose.
Lisle 54150 I got a stronger one on ebay after fact, they may make it eaiser if happens again(I like tools) the lisle did break slightly on first use but did job and is cheap

·
Registered
404 Posts
on those cowl plugs, i kept having issues, finally just left them both out, that was 3 yrs ago now, checked several times since, not found a single bit of debris...with the rubber 'lip' around the hole, mine were clogging in as little as 3 months from these big darn pines we have along the drive- without the lip of that plug, they rinse themselves out- also, if you have buildup in the cowl drains, suggest looking at bottom of fenders with door open- leaves build up back under there too.

the other areas on mine that were water problems:

heres a pic of the cheep cowl plugs- there are ten of them

removing the drivers side requires pulling the wiper arms- ive got a 'glass hood, kinda thick, not a lot of room for a puller- used my imperial eastman flaring tool, *just* fit in there-

heres what the factory 'seals' look like- all ten were loose, flared out at the center allowing water in...threw them away.

heres a few of them glued in- used 'automotive goop' clear adhesive /sealant- been sold on this stuff for a long time, since 20 yrs ago in the rc airplane/heli hobby... dries fast, kinda rubbery, sticks to about anything- its real 'stringy' though, gotta be careful...it flows out as it dries, great stuff

heres the other spot that failed on my 06- the 'gaskets' around the window frame were oozing around the mirrors- the plastic just pops off, and the 'gasket was trashed on both sides

I got some closed cell self adhesive 1/4" x 1/8 weatherstrip and replaced it

this was a couple years ago, havent had any issues since- and due to to many cars, this poor thing sits out every day all year, even buried in snow hibernating for the winter(still hasnt seen salt)

·
Registered
381 Posts
thanks Sharad! You fixed my car :)

It was pouring rain all of last tuesday in Montreal and i found a puddle on passenger side floor yesterday morning. Cleaned up the mess on my way to work and search the forums for a quick fix. Found your post and fixed my issue.... there was lot of water being held by all the crap clogging the drain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about driver's side?

Hello all, I have this issue... but on the DRIVER'S side. Car was merely parked during a torrential downpour, and I found the carpets absolutely soaked all the way to the back seat, but driver's side only. Is this just a matter of clearing the drain on the driver's side, or is there another issue that someone can point me in the right direction towards?

(The car just came into my possession through an estate... 2010 V6. Rusting driver's side seat frame says this has been going on a long time.)

jpb

·
Registered
26 Posts
I discovered a leak inside my car too. I have a 2014 v6 with 147xx miles.

My problem is on the passenger side but I did feel a few drops on my leg from the driver side as well. I looked under my driver side dash and I see some rust. The steering wheel shaft has some rust, a few bolts holding the pedals in place to the firewall seem to have some rust rights around the washers. Looks like its been leaking for a while.

It was very noticeable on the passenger side. So I checked the drain plug in the cabin air filter area, no issue (they are not clogged), I checked the clips holding the cowl in place under the windshield and they look like they are sealed up good, didn't look like anything would leak past them.

I am thinking it's the passenger side door seal and my windshield? IDK but it's annoying me a lot because I just don't wanna get jerked around by the dealership and or have mold issues. I would really hate to sue someone! I have five months left of my factory warranty since I am not gonna hit the 36000 miles, so the 3 years is gonna get me, but I bought extended bumper to bumper so I have to check and see if stuff like this will be covered under the extended warranty. The extended warranty is not through FORD.... but I digress.

I have an appointment at the end of this month, we shall see what happens. The guy at the dealership thinks it's my drain plugs by the cabin air filter area, I think he is wrong.

Oh I forgot, I put some tape on my passenger side door molding where the plastic trim meets the body (on top)... it seems to have slowed the leak. I live in Oregon so it's like living in a swimming pool.. I feel like Patrick from sponge bob square pants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent tutorial Sharad...just checked my new to me 2005...Cabin Filter almost as dirty as OP's (also will change when I can pick a new one up later), Drain cup was half filled with leaves and debris...this made it very easy and satisfying to do myself...

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
2005 4.0
Okay I’ve done all of this twice now and I still have a huge leak somewhere causing both drivers and passenger side floor to be soaking wet!! I am at a loss what to do I have heath issues and can’t risk the mold to start to grow I have checked window seals they good, it’s so bad that the moisture cause the seats to be damp even after we put out a couple of the moisture removal containers in it and then parked it a the parking garage.

Please if anyone can help please do or I will have to sell it for cheap and that breaks my heart.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue. I took the car to the shop and the guy there tells me he'll have to take the whole car apart to see where it's leaking from, and it will be $300.00.
My gut told me this guy was full of $#!+. I did a Google search and found a YouTube video showing exactly how easy it is to clean out that drain hole!
I sent the guy a message saying if he was ever in my neck of the woods I'd love to buy him dinner!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the video and explanation. It will hopefully save somebody a few hundred dollars on a New Smart Junction box. My rubber boot fell out and I have left it no more water build-up. I did find that the plastic clips on the cowl were leaking as the water ran down from the windshield. I popped them out and the gaskets were worn out and broken
I put clear RTV on them and snapped them back in, haven't seen a drop of water since. Oh I found the leaking clips while I was replacing the SJB because I suddenly had my windows down and no light of any kind in a snowstorm in the middle of the night

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thank you for the video and explanation. It will hopefully save somebody a few hundred dollars on a New Smart Junction box. My rubber boot fell out and I have left it no more water build-up. I did find that the plastic clips on the cowl were leaking as the water ran down from the windshield. I popped them out and the gaskets were worn out and broken
I put clear RTV on them and snapped them back in, haven't seen a drop of water since. Oh I found the leaking clips while I was replacing the SJB because I suddenly had my windows down and no light of any kind in a snowstorm in the middle of the night

I believe the drain grommets are to help keep curious rodents from nesting or getting inside the HVAC system.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Everything here is legit and I've chased this from the year I bought it.

Believe it or not, earlier this year, I noticed the antenna wobbled. I tightened it down and there are no more leaks on the SMJ. Maybe I stopped the leaks from the other usual suspects and this was the culprit, no one else was talking about this, but it's working for me.

It doesn't matter if it's a heavy rain or light, if it's parked nose-end or rear-end on a slight incline, so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
It's a learning curve on the new platform. The three dots in the upper right near the square: touch them and it drops down edit capability. It will allow a couple quick edits and then after that amy further edits it will say (edited) in parenthesis to the right of the time stamp in the post. on the old forum you could edit multiple times within an hour before it tagged it as edited.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Glad to find this thread. I recently got the water leak on my 2005 Stang. I haven't been here for awhile and I like the new look to the site. And Thanks to all the AFMers with helpful info.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts