Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you have have gotten the PIE adapter for the '05, have you gotten it to work? I talked to a lot of guys on Brad's Mustang site, and they all have been having trouble getting it to work. They were getting errors on their stereo like "No AUX Audio" or sometihng. Any successful installs here?

·
Registered
394 Posts
My second dumb question for today....

What is this PIE adapter you speak of???

·
Registered
132 Posts
I haven't received mine yet, even though my order was in the first 200. I'll report success/failure as soon as I get it and get it installed. Incidentally, I'll be using mine to connect to an XM.

On the question of what the PIE AUX adapter is, its a connection device that will allow you to directly connect an IPod, XM or Sirius satellite radio, etc., directly to your Shaker stereo instead of using the FM modulation. See the link below.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
For those of you have have gotten the PIE adapter for the '05, have you gotten it to work? I talked to a lot of guys on Brad's Mustang site, and they all have been having trouble getting it to work. They were getting errors on their stereo like "No AUX Audio" or sometihng. Any successful installs here?
You may want to look at this link http://pie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187. It looks like an additional step is required to initialize the interface.

·
Registered
70 Posts
99vert said:
You may want to look at this link http://pie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187. It looks like an additional step is required to initialize the interface.
It took 2 calls to pie to sort it out but I now have it working. I recieved my unit on Wed night and immediately set out ot install it. There are a couple of items missing from the instructions. My car had a connector from the vehicle harness hooked up at the aux input on the back of the shaker. This connector must be disconnected from the head unit. Then you plug in the pie harness there. The vehicle harness connector is then plugged into the other end of the pie harness. This is necessary to init the pie box. Now turn on the stereo and then unplug the vehicle harness connector from the pie harness and leave it unplugged. Now the system should work fine. If you leave this connector plugged in, after a couple of hours of being off the stereo will then show no aux input. If you leave the vehicle harness connector unplugged it works great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
FYI - Here is a link to a new posting on the PIE Forum on the Aux adapter for the Mustang.

http://www.pie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204&sid=7d35b06d0bc4ffc6e9f6bb00f4f649cd

I just received mine last night, but I think I'm gonna wait to see what they can do. I was going to have mine professionally installed, so I don't want to have to bring it more than once. Darn it, and I was so looking forward to this!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received mine a couple days ago,I heard about the ongoing frustrations and I will not leave wires unplugged in my car. I think I am going to return it because I don't want 30 days to pass and not be able to return it, if PIE doesn't do sometihng about this. I'm upset cuz I was really looking forward to this.

I'd rather stick with FM Mod. than eat 70 bucks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You all may want to check out the new 2006 accessories book. Item # 8 talks about the Trip Tunes. Uses a 3.5mm jack which will hook up to any MP3 player.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
scramblr said:
You all may want to check out the new 2006 accessories book. Item # 8 talks about the Trip Tunes. Uses a 3.5mm jack which will hook up to any MP3 player.
Boy, wouldn't that be a bite to the people who spent 70 bucks and that Ford part works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
scramblr said:
It didn't say anything about satellite radio, though. Wonder if it will work for that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think the connection to the Aux on the Shaker is just a standard RCA jack. So if the connection to a Satellite Radio is also RCA, then it shouldn't matter. But then again, who knows what Ford did. We'll need to wait until they're on the shelves...

·
Registered
1 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I received mine a couple days ago,I heard about the ongoing frustrations and I will not leave wires unplugged in my car. I think I am going to return it because I don't want 30 days to pass and not be able to return it, if PIE doesn't do sometihng about this. I'm upset cuz I was really looking forward to this.

I'd rather stick with FM Mod. than eat 70 bucks.
I've had mine installed for a couple of weeks now, and it is a mixed blessing. It is true that you have to leave plug from the factory harness disconnected in order for the PIE unit to work properly. However, this connector has only two wires, and apparently the only things that they enable are the display dimming (when headlights are on) and the speed volume compensation. With the connector unplugged, the display is always dimmed as if the headlights were on, and the speed volume does not function. On the positive side, the sound quality from my MP3 player and XM unit is absolutely incredible. The difference between this & FM modulator is like the difference between FM & AM. PIE is working on a fix, which they will provide free of charge, but for me, the gain in sound quality is far more important than the loss of these two features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed mine last week, and have had no problems. All smiles here.:laughlitt

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too am using my PIE interface. Sure the speed volume is off, but i set it to off before the PIE. The display is dimmed somewhat, but as a convertible, was hard to see anyway with the top down. That said, the positives are incredible. XM radio installed with a direct connection through the PIE sounds awesome, especially through the shaker subs. Beats FM modulation tenfold! My mp3 player is one simple cable unplugged from the XM Roady to the mp3 player. Now you can really tell the sound quality difference from true CD to mp3, but having 2200 songs at my disposal is a godsend. I'll switch out the harness once the fix comes in, meanwhile I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here. I was going to say that most of time, I can't see my radio display with the top down. And I've never owned a car with speed volume, so if I've gone on without it thus far, I can live without it for some time longer (at least until PIE ships new software). My sounds excellent. While I was installing and testing, my wife thought I was playing her West Side Story CD when in fact it was XM's Cinemagic channel doing the movie. Enough said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear ya....nothing beats that XM direct connection huh? I can't believe I was considering the fm modulator for xm and my mp3. As for speed volume, my previous vehicle had it and I thought there was something wrong with it when the volume would fluctuate. I prefer being the one in control of the volume. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Talked with PIE tech rep today. New units will ship with hardware fix next week. Been waiting for this mod for some time...

·
Registered
53 Posts
For those of you who have done this, how difficult was the install and how long did it take? Do they send directions on stereo removal/dash disassembly? TIA

·
Registered
32 Posts
ford tiptunes

scramblr...thanks for that link...had no idea ford was developing a gadget for our portable music devices......i'll be looking forward to it and feel more comfortable knowing that its a ford product (so long as it works perfectly). i sure am tired of purchasing these FM transmitters hoping that they will sound better than the next when they all actually sound like crap. it sure is a mood killer when i got some slow jams playing for the ladies and then we hear this loud static interference glitch :mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts