Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell how to get the pilot bearing removed from the crank? Also while I have the trans out to replace the throwout bearing I would like to upgrade the clutch/quadrant/cable and replace the rear main seal. I know this has been asked more than I can count, but what is a good clutch to use? Its a 94 GT conv. basically stock with only the exhaust and K&N filter non stock. Going with offroad H pipe & 40 flow master mufflers. The car has 59k and looking for a clutch upgrade that will not make the pedal to firm for the wife to use. This is not a daily driver and only used in summer months for car shows and cruise-ins and when I drive I like to get on it once and awhile. Also since everything is out,how difficult is it to replace the rear main seal.? Removed everything last night and had the flywheel resurfaced today. The way everyone talks about how hard it is to remove the quadrant this was the easiest of all so far ( no more than 60sec).

·
Registered
516 Posts
my pilot bearin fell out when i pulled the flywheel off. there is a tool u can buy that is like a slide hammer basically that pulls it out. if ur lookin for an inexpensive clutch, u could stick with factory. its a decent clutch and u barely drive the car with little to no mods. you could also check out the king cobra clutch and the ford heavy duty clutch. both wouldnt be too bad. i hear the king cobra isnt much stiffer than stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stanga,that is one of the clutches I was looking at and the BBK quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster just wanted to know if that would be a decent setup.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I put a king cobra clutch in my wife's 94 vert and she thought it was too heavy, so I replaced it with a standard cobra. This one has a stock feel but more clamping force than stock.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best way to remove the bearing is with the proper tool. You can usually buy them at an auto parts store or a tool dealer like Matco , Snap On,etc. PepBoys actually has a pretty good selection of tools so does Autozone. The way I usually remove the seal is by poking a small hole in it with a pick then screwing a one inch long phillips head screw into the hole. There is metal inside the seal so you will have to tap the pick in with a hammer. Then take a big pair of wire cutters and grab the screw at the bottom and pry against the block with the tip of the pliers witch will pull the seal out. Just be carefull not to nick the crank with the screw.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
a king cobra frpp clutch is the same as a stock cobra clutch, except the stock cobra clutch should be heavier, because the frpp version has a different pressure plate with springs rather than release fingers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.