Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been screwin with my timing, I have never heard a "ping" sound before, I know it is detonation and happens when you advance the timing to much.

I advanced the hell out of the timing and it never pinged, I had the spout out so it was at 34 degrees. When you say advance till it pings would that be with the spout in?

I bumped it to 16 degrees and I still heard nothing, it was showing around 34 degrees with the spout back in.

I always had carbureted, mechanical timing set ups before this stang.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Take it out for a drive and get on it, if you advanced the timming too much, you will hear it. Trust me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had my timing was advanced and it only made noise when I got on it. Clockwise is retard and counter clockwise is advanced. I had to retard the timing after I put a chip in it.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
most people keep advancing till it pings and then back it off 2 degrees, but whats good for one car at 16 degrees, power wise, could be not as good for your car.
just advance it up 2 degree's and get on it. If it feels strong with no pings, advance it 2 more degrees, if it feels not as strong or pings, take 2 degree's back out. I use to do this alot with my 5.0, playing with timing and fuel pressure.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Get up to 25 MPH in 4th gear and Floor it! If its pinging it should be noticable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.