Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to possibly purchase a R302-based 331 with 5.4" rods & 3.25" stroke. The engine is completely new and never ran, but was built 4+ years ago. My question comes in regards to the Ross pistons used by the owner and builder. From what I can gather, they elected to go with a piston that has the rings moved down further from the piston deck to protect the rings from the combustion/heat. In effect this put the rings down far enough to intersect the wrist pin.

I've read all over the place that there could be problems with wrist pin / ring groove intersection, but what exactly are the problems that can occur with this type of piston geometry? May car is a turbo street car first w/ 10 or so visits to the track a year.

Thx

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
being a street car it could effect oil consumption, but we are talk only a tiny amount. i think the benifits of the longer rod (easier on cylinder walls, stroke/rod ratio) would offset any oiling issue. also with the rings being farther down on the pistons is a plus for the boost w/turbo. :bigthumbsup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.