Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly got to taking my engine apart to re build it. Wen i took the pistons of one of the rings had some rust on it to the point that it was seced in place. I managed to free it, now my question is can i re use this ring if i use a light sand paper to get the rust of or do i have to buy new rings? And how would i know if this engine has been rebuild once before? Any help or tips would be apriciated. :)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
check to see if the hardware is oem factory (Rod,Head bolts), also the bearings..If your rebuilding the engine WHY use rusted old rings? Shell out the cash for a new set, how do the cylinder walls look? Are you gonna have to bore them?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
If you can catch your finger nail on the top cylinder where the rings were riding, you need to use a ridge reamer to cut the edge off, don't go too much. And it also may need to be bored, rent a micrometer and the attachments to measure the inside dia of the bore, at the bottom two directions (1 inline with the crankshaft and the other perpendicular to it, then do the same at the top of the bore where the wear is the greatest) Record your measurements and do all the cylinders recording as you go. Most likely if it has 100,000 mi or more it will need to be bored. The parts that wear out, bearings (rod, main, cam), timing chain, water pump, rings, gaskets need to be replaced and do a valve job on the heads. If you do not know how to rebuild an engine, I would recommend not only getting a manual but get a friend that has done it before to help or supervise, one mistake in the process can turn a engine into a boat anchor in an instant. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
A used ring, rusted or not, will almost never seat to the cylinder wall. Don't waste your time trying to re-use old rings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts