Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mustang GT Premium 5.0
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed to no end, but new to this forum and did not see it specifically. Is this annoying diesel sound ever going to be fixed? We have a 2019 GT Premium with 14,000 miles and frankly, its embarrassing to drive. If Ford is not remedying the issue, has it been corrected on the 2021?

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm not aware of any such diesel sound problem but your title seems misleading. With only 14k miles on it I can't see that being a possibility and if it existed then it usually goes away when warmed up. Why would you even suggest that as a possible issue? What's embarrassing to drive about it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
18-19 GT's have piston slap issues. From about 1600-3000 rpms. The noise is most prevelant when maintaining speed, not accelerating and not coasting. This noise does not go away when the car warms up. Most start making this noise after the first oil change. There are alot of talks and youtube videos on the topic. My question is, does anyone know if the issue has been fixed on the 2021 5.0?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Characteristic of the engine. Ford is doing nothing to correct it. Wife wants a new mustang. Thats why the "has this issue been corrected?" question.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
does the noise show itself during a test drive? if so, drive one and listen . . . or is everyone buying them sight-unseen these days?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does the noise show itself during a test drive? if so, drive one and listen . . . or is everyone buying them sight-unseen these days?
The noise supposedly manifests itself after the first oil change.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
ohhhhh it's "THAT noise" LOL . . . . I think this was called the "BBQ Ignitor Tic" back in the early days of the Coyote engine ; or maybe that is something different, but it also was said to appear after the first oil change and/or after oil changes, if I remember correctly . . . which is really weird, I never understood how or why changing the oil could possibly introduce a noise, but apparently it does

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its an 18-19 issue for sure. My wife wants a new one, but not if it sounds like the 19 we have!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I think he is saying you won't hear it on a test drive because that is before the first oil change

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
ohhhhh it's "THAT noise" LOL . . . . I think this was called the "BBQ Ignitor Tic" back in the early days of the Coyote engine ; or maybe that is something different, but it also was said to appear after the first oil change and/or after oil changes, if I remember correctly . . . which is really weird, I never understood how or why changing the oil could possibly introduce a noise, but apparently it does
My 2014 did it before any oil change was done since new. My friend actually thought it was direct injected. It has nothing to do with changing the oil at all. That likely started as a coincidence or someone just noticing it and it just grew from there.
I wouldn't ever have compared it to piston slap though. Also, it's barely even noticeable unless you have the hood open.
I always wondered what caused that BBQ Igniter Tic sound.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
My ‘98 4.6L has been making the light ticking sound for over 150,000 miles. One of my 2014 made the same ticking noise occasionally. I never had any issues with either, and I can’t see anyone comparing THAT noise to piston slap. Just say’n …

I really don’t think there is a singular cause. There are so many things in motion, that there are several parts that can cause an indistinguishable ticking sound.

Reactions: Cobrajet67
1 - 15 of 15 Posts