Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting my motor together this weekend, thinking I would be done fairly soon, but I don't know what happened. I'm using a stock '88 5.0 H.O. short block, comp cam with .512 lift and 220 duration at .050 stock length hardened pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers and edelbrock performer RPM heads with a 1.9 intake valve. I heard that since the cam is not that wild it will slide right in with no problems, but I checked piston to valve clearance without the gasket (thinking that because the gasket is about .04 inches think I could throw that into the equation later) and the valve actually made a bit of contact with the piston. I checked the clearance with clay, and there was none left. The rockers were set right, and it was the intake valve, not the exhaust that hit too. The timing is right, lifters are used so they have oil, but aren't overly pumped, so I don't know what could be wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
237 Posts
You've got a few options......1.5 stamped steel stock rockers, flycut the stock pistons, aftermarket pistons, or just slap it together with the thickest headgasket you can find and pray to god it holds. I really believe with a 1.94 valve and a stock shortblock, you can't run anything much larger than an E-cam without clearance issues.

·
Registered
165 Posts
try using Cometic head gaskets as they are made thicker for situations like yours or anybody who needs to lower their compression.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bough a single head gasket from o'reilly's the other day for $13. Just buy one and recheck.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I would get a head gasket and check it out like privatejoker stated.

·
Registered
237 Posts
btw, the performer rpm's use the 2.02 and the performers use the 1.90, right? Measure your valves and make sure they're 1.90s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.