Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me 8 hours to muscle the bolts and lower control arms off my car today!! 8 hours!!!! Simple on paper...not so much in application. I have a set of Stteda uppers to go on too but I'm just way to sore from installing the lowers. Man what a pain! If anyone's got some pointers for the uppers to make my life a little easier PLEASE tell me :thumbup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
hey there...I had an all too familiar experience last summer...only it took quite a bit longer on my 89...it was absolutely terrible, and I have the uppers to look forward in the next few months...yeah:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
824 Posts
It took me 8 hours to muscle the bolts and lower control arms off my car today!! 8 hours!!!! Simple on paper...not so much in application. I have a set of Stteda uppers to go on too but I'm just way to sore from installing the lowers. Man what a pain! If anyone's got some pointers for the uppers to make my life a little easier PLEASE tell me :thumbup:
wow 8 hours is a long time...shouldnt take that long but then again your prolly doin it by yourself right?

have you got a chance to drive with the new lowers?

how much did you get the upper and lowers for?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Hey guys, it's easier to do if you keep the jack under the rear end and go up or down to change the angle on the bolts. Sometimes you even have to reposition the jack under the front part of the rear end and raise/lower it from there.......

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow 8 hours is a long time...shouldnt take that long but then again your prolly doin it by yourself right?

have you got a chance to drive with the new lowers?

how much did you get the upper and lowers for?
yeah it did take that long. I started at around 1030am and finished at around 6 pm. did all the work...the hardest part was breaking them loose, getting relatively forward access to them and lining up the holes.

I did get to drive with the new lowers and I could definitely feel the power go straight to the ground. Definitely a difference. The car isn't so jerky anymore upon acceleration. I paid $300 for both the uppers and lowers from Steeda's website. Quality pieces of equipment.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, it's easier to do if you keep the jack under the rear end and go up or down to change the angle on the bolts. Sometimes you even have to reposition the jack under the front part of the rear end and raise/lower it from there.......

I didn't have a spare jack so I ended up using three bricks and a bunch of scrap 2X4s to do all the adjusting on the rear end! I needed the jack to jack up the control arms. And I was thinking to myself all day yesterday, Dammit I need another jack!! :laugh: I'm hoping the uppers will be a little easier. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yah, I also bought new bolts from UPR. The guy from steeda said to re-use the stock bolts...well my first bolt decided to snap on me. Thanks SALESMAN fro Steeda. I'm sure a tech guy would've recommended new bolts...

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Make sure the bolts fit into the UCA's and LCA's snugly or you'll have wheelhop. The uppers are a bit easier, but another jack helps angle the rear end housing. If I were you, I would have spent 20 bucks at Wallyworld for another jack than wrestling with it for 8 hours.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure the bolts fit into the UCA's and LCA's snugly or you'll have wheelhop. The uppers are a bit easier, but another jack helps angle the rear end housing. If I were you, I would have spent 20 bucks at Wallyworld for another jack than wrestling with it for 8 hours.
The next jack I get will be a big one...no more p*ssy-footin' with the jacks :nogrinner

I had nothing to do yesterday anyway. And it makes me use all those muscles that I never use....like my abs :laugh:

For the uppers, I think I'll try supporting the driveshaft so that it's in one place the whole time. Hopefully i'll be able to move the diff. housing up and down to line up the bolts all-proper-like. I'm willing to spend another 4...or 8 hours under the car. It's my favorite place in in the house :gringreen

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be careful supporting the driveshaft. We remove it anytime we are messing with the rear suspension.
The weight of the car will be supported by jackstands so hopefully the bricks and 2x4s can support the weight of the driveshaft without any problems. I'm too lazy shiner...lol I just want to git'er done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.