Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on buying a 1968 mustang and i wanted to know where is the most vital rust spots that are impossible to fix.

·
Registered
122 Posts
huh it depends on the car history

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Cowl vent floor pan trunk rear wheel wells pretty much anywhere its a old car and rust is like a crazy ex always showing up in the wrong places.To test the cowl vent its the holes by the windshield and wipers pour water in it if it comes out in the floor pan of the car its rusted out.the cowl vent is a real mother to fix gotta take the windshield out and cut 120 something spot welds.Also take a magnet off your fridge try sticking it around the rear wheel archs if it don't stick then theres thick body filler hiding rust or a wrong repair.Also take a hammer and give the frame rails front and back a good wack they can rust from the inside out so if the metal is thin you'll find out.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) None of the rust is impossible to fix. Some places are just more expensive than others.:gringreen The cowl area is about the most expensive. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I started from the bottom up when I went looking at mustangs. Put your finger in every hole of the floor pan you can, there are rubber plugs over the seat bolt holes and others, if you can pop them off feel around for piles of rust scales, in the front/rear frame rails also. If the seller lets you pull up a corner of carpet look there too. Torque boxes and cowl grill area as mentioned above.
I found a car with some rust in the outer wheel well areas, that can be fixed when the body work/paint is done. The car looked new underneath with very little rust, I don't weld so that was important to me. Stick you hand down to the lowest point of the trunk fender corners you can and lift the trunk mat and look around the gas tank mounting area also.
Basically crawl all over the car but water settles at the bottom of everything. I looked at a conv. and the first bad sign was a new paint job, pulled piles of rust out of the floor pans/frame rails, when I shut the door I could see the rear quarter move...
Didn't buy that one.
Jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jon hit on a great point. If you weld, you can save gobs of money. All the panels are available, but GOOD welders charge Good money (unless you have a welder in the family).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on a 1968 mustang is it hard to repair rust on that peice of metal below the rear wind sheild. its in between the rear winsheild and the trunk. how much would it cost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.