Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying borlas cat back system for my mustang in december and i keep reading that with out an h-pipe it will sound bad...is that true do i have to buy an h-pipe with my cat back system as well or will it sound nice with out it ...and how much would an h-pipe cost

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my bad its a steeda cat back exhaust sytem and do i need some kind of conversion kit also or can it be installed as is ....and what the hell are mil elimaniators....ok ..1 is the exhaust system good as is...2 do i need to buy any additional parts to install it 3 will it sound good....4 do i need an h or x pipe

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
raliesportslayr said:
my bad its a steeda cat back exhaust sytem and do i need some kind of conversion kit also or can it be installed as is ....and what the hell are mil elimaniators....ok ..1 is the exhaust system good as is...2 do i need to buy any additional parts to install it 3 will it sound good....4 do i need an h or x pipe
If it's a cat back system, you don't need an adapter.

MIL eliminators are needed if you run non-legal headers.

Sound is subjective. What sounds good to one guy won't to some other guy.

You can go to MustangExhaust.com and check out some clips.

Mufflers determine sound more than any other component. Anyone who says they can hear a BIG difference between an h-x-or y-pipe has been breathing too many exhaust fumes.

:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put True dual exhaust on my 1995 3.8
I used Cat Back take offs from a 2004 Mach1. I went to the local Ford dealer and purchased the Driver side and Passenger side Hangers. Then took it to a local muffler shop to install.

2004 Mach1 Take Offs $150

Ford OEM Hangers $50

Install Charge $100

Total $300

A Ford 3.8 V6 is an even fire engine and does not require a H or X pipe. The H or X pipe is more effective in V8 applications where it helps reduces backpressure when exhaust cycles occur consecutively on the same bank.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Roadhawg said:
I put True dual exhaust on my 1995 3.8
I used Cat Back take offs from a 2004 Mach1. I went to the local Ford dealer and purchased the Driver side and Passenger side Hangers. Then took it to a local muffler shop to install.

2004 Mach1 Take Offs $150

Ford OEM Hangers $50

Install Charge $100

Total $300

A Ford 3.8 V6 is an even fire engine and does not require a H or X pipe. The H or X pipe is more effective in V8 applications where it helps reduces backpressure when exhaust cycles occur consecutively on the same bank.

actually, it helps evacuate the cylinder that fires before it.

The 6 benefits from the h-x-y-pipe in the 3-4 & 6-1 firing. It doesn't help as much, but it does help, & can provide 3-5 hp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
kscoyote said:
actually, it helps evacuate the cylinder that fires before it.

The 6 benefits from the h-x-y-pipe in the 3-4 & 6-1 firing. It doesn't help as much, but it does help, & can provide 3-5 hp.
With a 1-4-2-5-3-6 firing order on a 3.8L Ford V6, the exhaust events alternate between banks and never occur consecutively on the same bank.
There is little or no reason to use a H or X pipe.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Roadhawg said:
With a 1-4-2-5-3-6 firing order on a 3.8L Ford V6, the exhaust events alternate between banks and never occur consecutively on the same bank.
There is little or no reason to use a H or X pipe.
There are dyno sheets to prove it in the archives

5 hp isn't much, but it's still 3%

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking for dual exhaust for my stang....It seems rediculous for Ford to combine the exhaust into one! I don't think it would've hurt at all to keep the V6 dual! What do you all think of having one muffler in the middle, with two out ports, making dual tips?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe the best bang for the buck, is to find a V8 person in the local Mustang club that has upgraded his/her exhaust and buy his/her Cat Back Take Offs. Take the Cat Backs to a muffler shop and have them installed. I had the muffler shop cut my Y pipe just past the O2 sensors and install pipes with factory type flanges which connected to the Cat Backs. If a H pipe is a must have Pacesetter makes what you need.

True dual exhaust will help support any engine mods you make in the future far better than a single muffler with 2 tail pipes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You guys need to check out this site http://www.completeexhaust.com/index.php they have everything you might need and if you call you will get awesome prices.Just purchased a Magnaflow Magnapack CB for $345 shipped.They have the pipes for dual conversions too for the V6's.Just trying to help.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
jrspony said:
I was looking for dual exhaust for my stang....It seems rediculous for Ford to combine the exhaust into one! I don't think it would've hurt at all to keep the V6 dual! What do you all think of having one muffler in the middle, with two out ports, making dual tips?
zero sum gain.

It's got a single exhaust to keep costs down, and to keep insurance underwriters happy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also the Steeda is the same as Borla,made by same people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.