Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

So I'm planning on getting a Pro-charger after my deployment ends, and I wanted to get some peoples thoughts on the matter. I have read a few threads and was wondering what people have gotten as far as:

Numbers, (HP, TQ)
Exhaust sound change,
Install: (did you do it yourself vs having it installed and how hard it was)
Does anyone know the safe amount of HP our motors can take stock before going forged internals?

And any other essential information or thoughts you think would help along the way. Should I go with the d1 or not and should I get the heli spherical or does it make a difference type things. I do plan on buying a 1 piece drive shaft, and am currently running the stock 2.72 gears until I find out if it would be even worth the upgrade to 3.33's or not. Thanks for any input I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You'll be getting somewhere around 400-420 rwhp and 350-370rwtq. These motors are good for up to 500 flywheel HP without issues. There is no need for the D1 charger unless you're planning on getting forged internals and upping boost. The standard kit was made assuming it would be installed on a 100% stock car.

The helical gears do nothing much apart from decreasing sound from the charger. Some people like the noise, some don't. It will really only affect your idle sound. If you're interested in the sleeper setup then go with the helical gears.

The stock 2.72's should be fine. You're still not going to feel a whole lot of low-end torque until you hit 3-3.5k RPMs just because of the long gears, however once you get up in the torque range it will pull as hard as a GT. People will definitely notice it when they ride with you. Unless you're going for lower track times then you probably won't really need to swap your gears.

Procharger has made the install very easy compared to other systems, though it does take a while. I will be having a shop install mine just because bringing them more money = better prices for tuning down the road. Nothing beats a professional install either.

All this is from my experience helping a buddy install the kit on his '11 v6. Mine D-1SC kit is currently sitting in the garage waiting for the weather to warm up before installation. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
You'll be getting somewhere around 400-420 rwhp and 350-370rwtq. These motors are good for up to 500 flywheel HP without issues. There is no need for the D1 charger unless you're planning on getting forged internals and upping boost. The standard kit was made assuming it would be installed on a 100% stock car.

The helical gears do nothing much apart from decreasing sound from the charger. Some people like the noise, some don't. It will really only affect your idle sound. If you're interested in the sleeper setup then go with the helical gears.

The stock 2.72's should be fine. You're still not going to feel a whole lot of low-end torque until you hit 3-3.5k RPMs just because of the long gears, however once you get up in the torque range it will pull as hard as a GT. People will definitely notice it when they ride with you. Unless you're going for lower track times then you probably won't really need to swap your gears.

Procharger has made the install very easy compared to other systems, though it does take a while. I will be having a shop install mine just because bringing them more money = better prices for tuning down the road. Nothing beats a professional install either.

All this is from my experience helping a buddy install the kit on his '11 v6. Mine D-1SC kit is currently sitting in the garage waiting for the weather to warm up before installation. :)
I'm hoping we'll get a highboost D1 w/ forged internals, V6 monster on here soon. Curious on the numbers it'll make.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I feel like you covered almost all of it. I was mostly worried about blowing the motor so I wanted to be sure that I knew my numbers before hitting the dyno shop.

I waz going with the idea of a sleeper in the beginning and am still leaning towards it. I wanted something that would compete with most things on the road. Thank you for the information. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My only regret is not going a D1 head unit, until the i1 comes out. I'd highly recommend doing that upgrade. It runs much more efficiently and has much better resale than a P1.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only regret is not going a D1 head unit, until the i1 comes out. I'd highly recommend doing that upgrade. It runs much more efficiently and has much better resale than a P1.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Any idea on when the i1 would be released?

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not to sound like a smartass, but why are these things so expensive?

$5k?

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't buy it if you cant leave well enough alone, If you do buy it make sure your tune is safe, make sure your cats dont clog,make sure your pulley doesn't wobble, make sure your car doesn't knock

·
Registered
124 Posts
procharged for almost a year now on a daily driver. search for some of my older threads which have info regarding setup. No issues but I don't spend a lot of time in boost as I am not racing the car. still loving it.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
procharged for almost a year now on a daily driver. search for some of my older threads which have info regarding setup. No issues but I don't spend a lot of time in boost as I am not racing the car. still loving it.
Exactly ! That is what I like about Prochargers ( or any other centri blowers for that matter) The power is only there when you want it. Most of the time you are never in boost, so the blower doesn't stress the drivetrain at all during normal motoring. And if you watch your boost gauge during acceleration, you will notice you only reach maximum boost for a very very short amount of time. I have a Procharger on my GT and I guess that was my test car, so to speak. And it passed with flying colours.
Some one asked why the supercharger kits are so expensive. True enough, they aren't cheap. But if , you take into consideration the gains they produce compared to other bolt on mods, they aren't as costly as one might think.
Got to love it ! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone had any issues with their cats clogging with the procharger? even if you buy the High -flow. I wouldn't mind going catless but I am worried about the obnoxious rasp our cars have when the cats are gone. So for now I was thinking of getting the high flows until they either gummed up or blown out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with their cats clogging with the procharger? even if you buy the High -flow. I wouldn't mind going catless but I am worried about the obnoxious rasp our cars have when the cats are gone. So for now I was thinking of getting the high flows until they either gummed up or blown out.
Mine Clogged BAD bad enough to hurt the stock motor. I have a straight pipe through the cats and a borla exhaust i think it sounded fine when the car ran

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You were using high-flows as well not just regular stock ones? I watched a few videos with the borlas and it's a little loud, like if you've ever heard the v6 with the pypes muffler deletes with otherwise stock exhaust all the way through I love that it's a deep sound, not high pitched, and there is some rasp but it's not in the higher and when WOT you barely realize it's there before your through it already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts