Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I bought a 1986 5.0 mustang powertrain off a buddy of mine for 250$ i also bought his lowering springs for 100$ as of right now he is keeping his headers and exhaust system and selling it to another one of our friends. If that falls through i plan on buying his exhaust system also. The engine runs, starts and sounds great. I have driven with my buddy in his car many times so i know that its not a dud. Unfortunately for him, his frame had rotten out and broke. Fortunately for me i was able to buy the powertrain for cheap before anyone else. I have the whole car in my possession so that i can use all the wiring and the ECU. I have access to a shop with a lift and an engine hoist. I've done lots of reading on what is involved and i think im ready to begin. I have taken the may 24 weekend off and plan to do it all in one long weekend.

I was wondering if someone has done this swap from a fox body mustang into an sn95 frame. If someone could tell me all the little problems i might run into it could save me lots of trouble and money. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You're going to need a new wiring harness along with that ECU, check out Painless Wiring for that. I found this site a few months ago when I swapped a 5.0L into 98 for a friend of mine SorsCodes WebSite Click on the "5.0L swap" tab and it'll layout everything you'll need to have for the install into your sn95. Since your going to put a 5.0L in, I'm going to assume that you want a lot more power and performance so I recommend that you use solid (metal) motor mounts instead of rubber. It reduce the hp and torque lost through the drive train before it hits the wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will need a new wiring harness even if i have all the original wiring?
Thanks for the advice on the motor mounts, very good idea.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Wiring

You can probably get away with using the harness that comes with the engine, just do a thorough inspection before dropping the motor into your car. If the wires are hardened, cracked, have bare spots etc, get a new one because it'll save you a lot of hours trouble shooting in the future. Here is a great website I found that runs through ALL of the motor wiring. Check it out.

92 Stang 5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the 5.0 swap didint happen my buddy bought his car back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.