Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I was looking at a potential plasti-dip project and have some questions.

1. What texture does it have when dry?

2. Anyone used it on interiors?

3. How does it perform with masking tape? Can you get a good edge using tape?

thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
Plastidip has tons of very good instruction videos on youtube that answer all of your questions.

Let me help you a little tho

Plastidip dry very fast. When it does it leave a rubbery matte finish. The key to creating a good line with plastidip is peeling off the masking tape before plastidip dry. I never done plastidip on interior bits. I would rather use carbon fiber wrap for interior.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks. I'll look into the youtube vids. It's easy to forget what a great resource youtube is for projects like this.

I'm curious as to how it would feel and hold up if applied to interior panels and possible the gear shift.

I'm also going to try an exterior application this weekend. I'll post results later ;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

thanks
You control the texture by how far you spray it . Closer means smoother texture.

Yes poeple use it on interiors

Tape provides a great clean line only if its peeped up while the dip is wet so you have to spray your 4 coats in like a 5 minute span or the tape peels up the dip
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just remember the most important thing about plasti-dip, assuming you have to do any peeling, is what 5LITER_MUENSTER said about removing the tape before it's try. It's impossible to remove the tape without it ripping if you let it fully dry.

I made this mistake once.

Also you should use painter's tape, not masking tape.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got tons or blue tape, I'll be sure to pull it before it's completley dry.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've got tons or blue tape, I'll be sure to pull it before it's completley dry.
Sometimes easier said than done if you're doing multiple coats, it dries fast.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sometimes easier said than done if you're doing multiple coats, it dries fast.
On my decklid I actually used 4 layers of tape, all on the same line. This did two things - made the tape line thicker, and harder for the plastidip to stick to via the actual decklid, and it made it so I could peel one layer off after each spray. Worked out well, but I decided to go with a semi gloss vinyl I found on ebay for $20 since I didn't get a perfectly even coat in the sun.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my decklid I actually used 4 layers of tape, all on the same line. This did two things - made the tape line thicker, and harder for the plastidip to stick to via the actual decklid, and it made it so I could peel one layer off after each spray. Worked out well, but I decided to go with a semi gloss vinyl I found on ebay for $20 since I didn't get a perfectly even coat in the sun.
This is what I was thinking too. I was going to do several layers of tape. I need as clean and sharp a line as possible.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Good advice, that should definitely help.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The spray distance determines the texture, as someone said above. The first 2-3 coats, just "dust" the surface with plasti-dip. The key to good application is a nice, gentle misting of plastidip dusted on the surface. As you increase layers, you can get a bit more gratuitous with application. Also, the closer you get, the increase of running paint is higher.

The plasti-dip will bond with that tape pretty quickly. Layers of tape is genius. Good idea.

As for an interior thing, like a shift knob? I know a lot of guys that plasti-dip Xbox 360 controllers for better grip. If it can hold up to that, I think it'll work on a shift knob too.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was thinking of doing the shift knob and if I like the texture, maybe the doors if it will give it more of a soft touch texture. The plastic door panes are like something GM would use.

·
Registered
333 Posts

thanks
I figured I would share my projects and try to answer your questions.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/359255-plasti-dipped-my-mustang-again.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/355603-my-black-2011-plasti-dipped-blue.html

Okay for texture it should come out relatively smooth but with cans you should have a little bit of a texture to it. I have some close up of texture I'm trying to upload but I think the pictures are too big.

I haven't used it on the interiors but have seen a few people do it.

For stripes again with cans everybody pretty much has it right on. You do one light dusting, give it 30 seconds or so to dry, then you put down like 2 or 3 coats at once. This isn't easy because you have to rush it without causing bubbling or runs.

By far the easiest way to do stripes is with a gun. You can tape it up and spray your coats like normal. Then when you're ready to peel the tape do one more coat and focus on the edges and the tape will peel perfectly.

Here's a couple pictures of texture.

This was done with a Wagner the black isn't dip it's just the lower trim on the car.

I dip cars on the weekends so having a gun that works and will last is kind of important. I just bought a new one and got it today. I have a little model Mustang I make custom colors and test with. Today I tried a silver I made. Ignore the windshield and back window the thinner in the dip has just ate right through it, it's only a cheap plastic.

and the texture

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
my jeep wheels are plastidipped its good stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dipyourcar.com has all the videos you need. I've plasti dipped my wheels black and dipped the center caps red. I also dipped the interior chrome trim around my shaker speakers red.

·
Registered
649 Posts

thanks
Did you use the SEARCH feature ? Google is your friend!

Annoying isn't it ? :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Did you use the SEARCH feature ? Google is your friend!

Annoying isn't it ? :D
Yes, it is...to me... to others.

Contribute 2500 posts and you'll be given due respect.

Initiate almost 2 dozen threads, of which half could have been avoided by utilizing the "search" feature first and you'll be reminded to use said tool.

Act like an a**, you'll likely be treated like one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts