Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to share. I used Plasti-dip Smoke on my Chrome and I think it turned out amazing. I had used Gunmetal, but that just looked like primer. This stuff creates like a dark anodized aluminum look. I applied 4 coats. The chrome really looked out of place on my Sterling Grey V6 PP with Grey Wheels. I think it all comes together much better now. And for those that worry, I have washed it three times in a machine since I applied it and there are no signs of wear.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,331 Posts
Very nice!

15 char......

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
That came out really nice :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like it.

I like it so much I may copy it.

Don't worry, I'm 2000 miles away from you so no one will notice :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Interesting... it reminds me of a Pewter metal finish. And it's subtle, which is nice. Doesn't jump out but just blends in.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That's a good look, nice and clean!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Subtlety was what I was going for. I had seen black and that didn't look right to me. I tried Gunmetal and seriously, it just loks like primer...stay away. I had considered Anthracite, but ultimately went with this. It does actually look like a factory finish.

As far as the process goes, I just taped around everything with painters tape. Put copius ammounts of newspaper ALL over the nose and tail. I covered alot and I still had overspray from the mist. It comes off, so it's not the end of the world, but I ended up having to take a clay bar to it to get it all off. Apply even coats and allow them to dry for about an hour in between. The more coats you apply, the darker it gets. I liked 4 coats, but you could go with anything from 3-6 to get your desired look.

You aren't going to find smoke in the auto parts or home improvement stores. I ordered two cans online, but only used one. You could probably get 5 coats out of one can. I will probably experiment with smoking the aluminum trim/chome caps on my wheels with the other can ;)

By all means, anyone should copy this that would like...that's why I shared. I did alot of research/trial and error and I am confident that this is the way to go if you want to rid yourself of the bits of chrome on this car that just don't seem to fit the look.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep...I like that :bigthumbsup I did pretty much the same with my 5.0 emblems but got carried away and did my door handles too (still on the fence about that) it's the subtle things that make all the difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts