Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I think they turned out awesome, very consistent looks. No overspray, no bubbling, no streaks. I just peeled off the parts on the lug nuts and the center cap. I also did my front pony grille emblem and the faux gas cap. Now I need to lower it haha.

Plasti-Dipped pictures by mdelongpre - Photobucket

Attachments

Registered
Let's see em!! 馃憖

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I posted the link to the album, but I guess I'll just post them here too. Give me a minute.

Registered
I like em. Looks really good.:bigthumbsup

Registered
looks great, I love that look. How did you cover your brakes? just fished in cloths through the spokes??

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I put trash bags behind the rims around the brakes. I didnt tape off anything except for the valve stem. The overspray on the tires rubbed right off. And there was some overspray on the fenders but it rubbed right off too. You could easily tape off the fenders to eliminate that part.

Registered
Honestly i would have just bought the Ford Racing black Brembo if i want them black. The picture here shows the Quality difference is pretty huge than plasti dip. Plus you could have sold your Stock rims and just bought the real black ones basically costing you nothing. Just giving options here not knocking you or anything, you can always peel the plasti dip off and do above...Like i said rims will make or break your car you want them looking the best as possible.

Attachments

Registered
The way the cured product peels off is amazing.The vids are fun to watch(Elvis)The dipped wheels look even better than the factory black ones. Great job !! How difficult was it getting the horse to stay black when peeling the dip off the caps? I ordered the kit to do my LS' HORRID red wheels. Will do some glossifier over the Matte black of my little future project. I think there should be a mini sub forum for Plasti Dippers!!:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup The little bit of chrome still on the lugs and caps doesn't quite look right to me.JMHO

Registered
Looks great, am a fan of black wheels.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Peeling off the part around the horse was very easy, it just came off like a cutout sticker. I could have paid hundreds of dollars for new rims which I dont have. I paid 10$ total for paint hahaha. I did not want a gloss black look anyway, which can be done with plasti dip and a glossifier. The pictures dont do it justice, it really is a great quality finish. Im going on a road trip so I wanted to get them sprayed before I left to help protect them while driving. Thanks for those who like it though, I know everyone has their own opinion.

Registered
Looks like almost everyone with the brembo rims are plastidiping them. I dipped mine also. And nice job!:bigthumbsup

Registered
Looks great! And if you didn't like it or you wanted to sell them and get the black Brembo wheels :nono:, you could just peel it off and they're good as new!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, im getting some prices for a tint, should make the black look better I think.

Registered
How are the rims holding up...What are you using to clean the brake dust off them??

I want to dip mine but I am wondering....

Registered
Yup, if you wanted a glossier or more refined look, you could use a spray clear coat, and b/c it's over the plastidip it will still peel right off, a friend did it all with his 370 and it looks very good like yours.

A question though, have you tried washing your wheels yet. I'm interested in doing this but wondering just how much pressure and elbow grease it takes to get the plastidip off. I have to change out the horrible stock brake pads on my car, but I would still hate to barely clean the wheels only for them to peel or rub off easily with water/soap.

Registered
Did exactly what I was planning on doing to my GT rims when it comes in. I am going to get the windows tinted but until I could afford the AMR wheels I want I wanted to get the stock ones black at least for the look.

Did you do the 5.0 badge too or did you buy black ones?

Registered
Thanks for posting up the photos. I purchased a set of base GT take-off w/brand new Pirellis and have purchased the plastidip to do them in matte black. Later I may use a silver metalizer to give them a hypercoat look.

Registered
1 - 19 of 19 Posts