Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
OK, this is a weird question/issue, so I'll cut to the chase.

Yesterday I was on a fairly fast portion of road, when a truck in the lane to my left ran over a plastic grocery bag. The bag was empty, and kicked over into my lane, where I ran over it (nowhere to go).

Well, I didn't see the friggin' bag come out, and thought it was maybe stuck on the grill...until I pulled up to a light about two miles away. It was then that I smelled burning plastic, and I realized the bag had touched an exhaust pipe, stuck to it, then continued to melt itself on completely. This thing stinks to high heaven!

I looked at the pipe, and the bag stuck on just in front of the rearend, and is on hard (at least when the pipe is cool).

Any suggestions for getting this thing off? I don't mind scraping the pipe, but I'm wondering if it will come off easier when the exhaust is warm or hot vs. cold. Help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had that happen to me. Couldn't get it off. Put up with the smell for a couple of weeks. It eventually went away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
BTDT. You have my sympathy. I had to run over a big wad of plastic in my previous ride due to heavy freeway traffic and nowhere to go.

The plastic was soft when hot and just smeared when I tried to remove it. When cold, I could chip some off, but not enough.

It took several months, but it finally all burned or wore off. A single shopping bag shouldn't take near that much time.

G

·
i went to meineke and had them burn...scrape... burn... it offworked great...hope it doesnt happen to the new one

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast response, guys...I can breathe now knowing that it won't stink for too long!

I'm just glad it didn't touch my Bassani's!!!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I had this happen on my -89... on my pretty shiny LT headers...

Took a (hard) plastic puddy knife to it and scraped it off... worked fine...

·
Registered
69 Posts
how about scraping it off using a hot air gun or hair dryer?
loudog said:
OK, this is a weird question/issue, so I'll cut to the chase.

Yesterday I was on a fairly fast portion of road, when a truck in the lane to my left ran over a plastic grocery bag. The bag was empty, and kicked over into my lane, where I ran over it (nowhere to go).

Well, I didn't see the friggin' bag come out, and thought it was maybe stuck on the grill...until I pulled up to a light about two miles away. It was then that I smelled burning plastic, and I realized the bag had touched an exhaust pipe, stuck to it, then continued to melt itself on completely. This thing stinks to high heaven!

I looked at the pipe, and the bag stuck on just in front of the rearend, and is on hard (at least when the pipe is cool).

Any suggestions for getting this thing off? I don't mind scraping the pipe, but I'm wondering if it will come off easier when the exhaust is warm or hot vs. cold. Help!

·
Registered
261 Posts
plastic bag no problem, try running over a plastic milk carton, lol. had to use a stick to get it off.:sterb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts