Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some free time this weekend, since im done with college finals, so i decided to see what i could do personalize my stang. I had been researching and planning on plasti dipping my base rims and was ready to take the plunge but then i looked at the big vast emptiness that is my 2013 hood,and it dawned on me that i could try something different. :)

I started laying down some tape and measuring up some lines, trying to keep it all symmetrical. once i got the car tapped up i started spraying. As i started i made my first mistake as the spray can gun i had was causing the plastidip to drip instead of spray, creating big bubbles. i decided to just keep on going as i wasn't trying to be perfect :p. I got rid of the gun and kept spraying. it was hard to distinguish between the spray and my black car so i ended up not being even in my spraying.

The hot Houston weather also made the plastidip dry alot faster then expected, so when i pulled off the tape it caused some rough small ripping, ruining the line. i did come up with a easy fix which involve a quick trip to autozone. I got some vinyl red pin stripes and used them to edge the stripe. they also make the stripe more stand out more.

When the whether gets better (raining right now) ill pull everything off and do it properly. i think im going to try a different color, gonna have to order it in since the home improvements stores only stock black :| ... I think if you can do these stripes right, they will look great and only cost $6 :bigthumbsup .

Lemme know what you guys think, and what colors you think would look best.

**I took the pics while the plastidip was still a little wet, it has dried now and is more even in color) ***

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Interesting quest, brave on a new pony. I designed and engineered my 98
Mercury Villager GS van's cold air intake. It's a nissan 3.0 L V6 motor.
Not many aftermarket parts for Nissan vans. I also added a Flowmaster 40
exhaust. Red looks good, I agree to go with that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the two different red stripes, the inner that is straight, and the outer that curves, makes it look weird. I would make the inner match the outer, or move them over and have both straight. Just my opinion though.

I am only able to see one picture at the moment, so my opinion may change when I can see the rest.

·
Registered
78 Posts
with all due respect, i do not like it. the pin stripes look very curvy and off, and again just my opinion, they stripes are WAY to far apart. i know you said the plasti dip was still wet, but even in the pictures I can see where was more heavly coated then others. From my experience when painting my rims, the spots that are more heavly coated then others will still be darker even after they dry.

it is a 100% better job than i will have ever been able to do, but i just think your 2013 pony would look better off with a single super snake stripe down the middle :bigthumbsup. or with the plasti dip off.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You know, I don't think it looks that bad at all. Good effort. It's definitely different and unique.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I like the red stripes, why not just do those including roof and trunk?
your opinion may vary, then it'll be wrong....:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. Im enjoying the contrast between the black and red. My other option is Gold on black.

my original plan was to do a RTR style hood decal. *See pic below*

Hood Prep by Dm Design, on Flickr​

When i finished and started doing the pinstripe, i realized it would of looked out of place since it got damaged beyond repair when removing the tape. The two stripe end product is basically the result of me salvaging what i had left.

The wonderful thing about plasti dip is that i can just take it off and start fresh and repeat until i find whats right :) .

What i like about the stripes now is that they are unique, i haven't seen a stang with these types of stripes and the red really "pops". I have got quite a few compliments since i put it on.

I think next im going to try a super snake, and if it looks as good as i think it will look ill probably get it professionally done.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
i say dont do the black part at all and get the red done by a professional.. i like the idea you have with the red just not in plasti dip

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Plastidip so rubs me the wrong way. Cheapen-your-car-in-a-can

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plastidip so rubs me the wrong way. Cheapen-your-car-in-a-can
Its also rubbing me the wrong way a bit too, but it gives a good idea of what it would look like. Its deffinitly not a permanent fixture, once i find something i like imma get it done professionally.

i say dont do the black part at all and get the red done by a professional.. i like the idea you have with the red just not in plasti dip
I think i agree with you, the red is all you really notice unless your up close. ill probably end up doing just the red :yelpleased:

I like the red stripes, why not just do those including roof and trunk?
your opinion may vary, then it'll be wrong....:)
I have so much of this red vinyl pinstripe tape that im deffinitly gonna play around with it. i think it will look nice having a thin stripes going from front to back

You know, I don't think it looks that bad at all. Good effort. It's definitely different and unique.
Thanks for the feedback, glad you like. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
two stangs I see...nice! :=p
I wish, i hate to say it but thats my moms Camaro :p ... in the pic it does look like a stang cause you cant see the front and the trees blocking the view, u had me 2nd guessing my self :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wish, i hate to say it but thats my moms Camaro :p ... in the pic it does look like a stang cause you cant see the front and the trees blocking the view, u had me 2nd guessing my self :p
haha ohh!

I like the look of a camaro better ( I hope i dont get hate PM's) ... but the interior and visibility of a stang is much better...that and I went to Nevada last Feb and pointed out every stang I saw....pretty much 1 every 10 minutes lol!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
haha ohh!

I like the look of a camaro better ( I hope i dont get hate PM's) ... but the interior and visibility of a stang is much better...that and I went to Nevada last Feb and pointed out every stang I saw....pretty much 1 every 10 minutes lol!
I was just out there myself, I'm thinking rentals (esp since 1/2 were verts), I also admire the Camaro but picked the Stang..I will say if I fit in the Miata that would have been my pick (yes I know even the V6 Stang is faster).

OP, not that anyone elses opinion matters the new 13's are growing on me I like about 1/2 the new details.

R

·
0 Posts
Doesn't look great but Plasti-dip is too fun NOT to spray random things with. I was considering spraying my entire body with it and making a Batman suit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Speaking from experience?

I first thought he meant body of car. Didn't realize he meant his own body until I read your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Hahahahhaa he gave me fright, thank god he was talking about the batman suit :p

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe mythbusters determined if you cover your whole body with a coating such as Plasti dip it will have ill effects to you and your body do to your body heat rising or something elevating your heart rate.

BUT we're talking about a Batman suit and the dark knight is a bad ass so you should be good...:bigthumbsup /sarcasm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts