Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im brand new to Mustangs, got my first one about 4 months ago (2004 GT manual w/ 89k) and it was love at first drive, and still is daily!

My wife is a displaced Kiwi, and here in about 9-10yrs from now we plan on 'retiring' to either NZ or Oz, depending upon how easy it is to get me in there (she holds NZ citizenship, but like many they transplant to Oz and vice versa, so ease-of-importing a Yank is a factor lol).

Plain and simple, I do NOT want to give up this car. I had an email exchange with Robyn @ crossovercarconversions.com and am equally defiant about giving up 33 grand to RHD convert my '04 lol.

Like i mentioned, this is a plan of attack for 10 years hence, so not wanting to part with a massive amount of spare change, how old does the vehicle need to be in order to be classified at 'historic' and escape the convert? Are there any legit/legal methods i can bring her in w/o conversion. Lastly, if i need to transfer ownership to my folks for a few yrs until such 'historic' times have arrived, that is a fallback option i've been pondering.

Thanks for your input and suggestions :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Only I can muster from this is you want to keep the 04,you're in (?)country,they require you to be seated on the right side...and I still haven't figured out what countries you're referring to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only I can muster from this is you want to keep the 04,you're in (?)country,they require you to be seated on the right side...and I still haven't figured out what countries you're referring to.
NZ = New Zealand
Oz = Australia

We are in the correct regional fora for this, hence the shorthand

I live in the States, own an '04, and will be moving to the other side of the planet in about 10 years where they drive on the wrong side of the road...

Dont wanna RHD convert

1) How old does this or any vehicle need to be in order to NOT have to be converted from left to right?
2) Can the vehicle be legally imported and registered w/o the conversion under other circumstances?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
NZ = New Zealand
Oz = Australia

We are in the correct regional fora for this, hence the shorthand

I live in the States, own an '04, and will be moving to the other side of the planet in about 10 years where they drive on the wrong side of the road...

Dont wanna RHD convert

1) How old does this or any vehicle need to be in order to NOT have to be converted from left to right?
2) Can the vehicle be legally imported and registered w/o the conversion under other circumstances?
Thank you for clarifying. I wish I had more info on this to help ya.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
NZ Left Hand Drive Vehicle Rules

Old Vehicles = more than 20 years old

Vehicles that are at least 20 years old may be imported and used on NZ roads in LHD form. No permit is required. We take care of all the paperwork IN YOUR NAME and all facets of the importation process on your behalf.

For full details please see:

Importing a left-hand drive vehicle (Factsheet 12) | NZ Transport Agency

New Vehicles = less than 20 years old (coupes and convertibles)

As of 1 April 2010 the rules regarding importation and use of LHD cars on our roads have changed. You can now register a car in original LHD form as long as it meets the criteria set. The rules were changed to allow late model collectible cars into NZ without requiring (sometimes agricultural and always expensive) conversion to RHD.

There are several criteria set but if you are a NZ citizen or resident and havent imported on of these in the past 2 years you may be granted a LHD permit if your car meets 3 of the 4 following criteria:

1) The car is high performance

2) The car is collectible

3) There were less than 20,000 units produced

4) It's a coupe or convertible

There is a quota of 500 permits per year

For full details please see:

Category A special interest left-hand drive light vehicles (Factsheet 12a) | NZ Transport Agency

NOTE RE EMISSIONS : Vehicles manufactured between 1990 and 2000 do not as of right meet NZ emissions requirements. There are some expemptions but we dont recommend going there....

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/docs/vehicle-exhaust-emissions-2007.pdf

As far as I'm aware in Oz if there under 20 years old they must be converted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Note the info in the post above is from a website of an importation business so should be correct and up to date.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kickass, KiwiStang :bigthumbsup

Thanks for the info, will do some reading up on this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts