Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing an Alpine CDA-9886 HU replacing the Shaker 500. (Best decision I've made in a while!). With a little tuning the stock speakers sound pretty damb good. The ability to adjust the subs levels makes a huge difference. I was on the fence about using a single din unit but after finding a mounting kit I liked, I'm happy with the look! The trim ring took some fabricating to clear the face plate and to allow it to open without binding. I made a 5 volt regulator to power the stock subs with parts from Rad Shack and my local hardware store. I doubled up the regulator to help lower and ease the load,I added two peices of aluminum to act as heatsinks, it works perfectly. Overall I am very pleased with this mod. I will however, replace the stock speakers once I have enough extra $ for some Alpine's.

Thanks to all who gave me info when I was researching this project!

CK DSC02507.JPG

DSC02511.JPG

DSC02543.JPG

DSC02544.JPG

DSC02545.JPG

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice looking install!

I still have not had time to get my replacement door speakers installed and I am starting to get anxious. The rear deck speakers were easy to replace, but the Infinity Kappa 6x8s have an external crossover, and I have been stressing about trying to find a place in the door panels to secure them. One of these weekends work will leave me be or I won't have plans and I will be able to tackle my door speaker project!

ETA: I just saw the other thread where you thanked me, and I wanted to say you are welcome! Also, I am glad I was able to help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Help out a newbie! How did you wire up 2 regulators? I get the basics of installing one, but how do you get 2 of them working together to lighten the load....or are there 2 different power leads that need < 8 volts? Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Carbon fiber is a Roush Dash kit. I love it... it came installed from Roush. They did a great job making sure everything lined up. I dont know if I like it enough to pay $250+ if it did not come with my car.

The two regulators are wired in parallel. Place them front to back...carfully bend the leads of each regulator at 90 degrees toward each other and solder them together. Pay attention the the diagram on the packaging. You only need 1 12v lead "IN", a ground, and you will have 1 5v lead "OUT". Connect the 5v to the power wire for the subs. I should have taken more/better pics of my regulator, lesson learned. I can make a diagram if you need one.

CK

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the cost of the regulators I figured it could'nt hurt. I have a tendancy to over-engineer most everything I do.

CK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.