Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there,
I hope someone can direct me to the cause of this problem and ideally a solution. I have a very loud rattle coming from the front of my transmission when the engine is cold, which goes away once the engine reaches operating temp. My first thought was that the bolts securing the plate to the front of the transmission were missing or loose (as is a known problem) however these are there and solid. Nevertheless the rattle seems to be coming from somewhere near this plate. - i tried to see if this plate was the cause by jamming something in the gap there to see if the rattle was better - but in fact it got WORSE! arrgh!

The motor has about 39k on it and its not been driven hard or raced.

Any advice you can give would be really useful as this is driving me crazy.

Many Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, i think so - Its certainly not the heat shields, as these were the first thing i tried - and im loathe to think its the centre stack as the noise is WAY louder outside than inside (and is coming from underneath). Its tough to diagnose as its only when the engine is cold.

Thing is its not an old rattle - it started at about 35k and has gradually got worse - which is worrying me as im thinking is a failure somewhere.

Im wondering too, as the noise is affected by whether the clutch is depressed or not - the tone and noise level changes... making me think it was the tranny

Your help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE - just been under the car and checked out the exhaust hangers as suggested (just to be sure) and no, sadly they seem solid and rattle free - so the mystery continues..

·
Registered
597 Posts
There is a TSB from Ford for some 2005-2008 Mustangs built before 12/13/2007 with 4.6 engine and manual trans. If this matches your Mustang then have the dealer look up TSB 08-2-10. This noise may be caused by the separator plate even with all the bolts tight and not missing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might have something there - Just (5 minutes ago) climbed under the front of the car this morning and it *IS* the plate at the front of the tranny thats rattling. ITs almost deafening under the car - NO wonder i turn heads at the moment (and i thought it was my beautiful stang)

Does anyone have a copy of that TSB so i can check it out? - mustangk - do you think this is something that will HAVE to be fixed at dealer/shop?

Many Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually i cant find any reference to the TSB mentioned 08-2-10. Does anyone have any more details on this?

I did read a post about the flywheel catching the seperator plate - but couldnt find the TSB for this (if its the one mentioned above) :headscratch:

Tim

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
maybe take it to the dealership and ask them. i am sure they have a list of TSB's for all the Fords

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same Here...

I have the exact same issue with my '06 GT. I have taken it to two different dealers only to be told that "You have voided your warranty by modifying the car, and it is probably something YOU did that is causing the problem." I have noticed, however, that when the ambient outside temperature is below about 40-45 degrees, it makes the noise. However, when the air temperature is warmer, there is no noise. I have changed my header gaskets and replaced the crappy bolts that came with my FRPP ceramic shorties, added an FRPP x-pipe, rechecked the exhaust from stem to stern and even tried replacing my under-drive crank pulley. I truly hope someone can nail this down, as it is making me insane as well... to the point that I am afraid to drive it.

Jim
HI there,
I hope someone can direct me to the cause of this problem and ideally a solution. I have a very loud rattle coming from the front of my transmission when the engine is cold, which goes away once the engine reaches operating temp. My first thought was that the bolts securing the plate to the front of the transmission were missing or loose (as is a known problem) however these are there and solid. Nevertheless the rattle seems to be coming from somewhere near this plate. - i tried to see if this plate was the cause by jamming something in the gap there to see if the rattle was better - but in fact it got WORSE! arrgh!

The motor has about 39k on it and its not been driven hard or raced.

Any advice you can give would be really useful as this is driving me crazy.

Many Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep - I spotted this thread last night when trawling through the forums - Theres just so much good info on this site that sometimes its just a case of finding it.

Anyway - i think thats the problem. Trouble is - Whats the cure? i know you may be able to fix it with a rubber or paper gasket, but is this really a good fix?

Oh and besides - the bolts holding the seperator plate to the bell housing are rusted solid - Great! - i do hope i havent got to drill them out. Any suggestions?:scratchchin

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my '06 GT. I have taken it to two different dealers only to be told that "You have voided your warranty by modifying the car, and it is probably something YOU did that is causing the problem." I have noticed, however, that when the ambient outside temperature is below about 40-45 degrees, it makes the noise. However, when the air temperature is warmer, there is no noise. I have changed my header gaskets and replaced the crappy bolts that came with my FRPP ceramic shorties, added an FRPP x-pipe, rechecked the exhaust from stem to stern and even tried replacing my under-drive crank pulley. I truly hope someone can nail this down, as it is making me insane as well... to the point that I am afraid to drive it.

Jim
Alot of dealers see mods and freak out. Its up to the dealership to prove that the mods are actually causing the problems. Since the parts you have on are from FRRP and are now included in the power packs available for new Mustangs, they shouldn't void you warranty. But, last week I looked at GT500 that had the FRRP SC upgrade and long tube headers and mini cats. The check engine light was on, Cat efficiency codes were set, needless to say the mini cats caused the problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep - I spotted this thread last night when trawling through the forums - Theres just so much good info on this site that sometimes its just a case of finding it.

Anyway - i think thats the problem. Trouble is - Whats the cure? i know you may be able to fix it with a rubber or paper gasket, but is this really a good fix?

Oh and besides - the bolts holding the seperator plate to the bell housing are rusted solid - Great! - i do hope i havent got to drill them out. Any suggestions?:scratchchin
My 3 pieces of folded up bicycle inner tube are still in there. Still no rattle. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to find a more permanent solution. Regarding the rusted parts, have you shot the bolts with some WD40? I'd be surprised if they were that rusted in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 3 pieces of folded up bicycle inner tube are still in there. Still no rattle. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to find a more permanent solution. Regarding the rusted parts, have you shot the bolts with some WD40? I'd be surprised if they were that rusted in.
OH yes they were :) Steel bolts into an aluminium casing = Corrosion + sticking. The heads were rusted up, but after much WD40 (and others) i got the allen wrench in - Anyway i t still took a 2ft extension and the bolts argued all the way out. But they are out now!! :D Trouble is, i think one of the bolts took much of the thread with it.

:so The plan is to try your rubber gasket idea. Ill let you know if it works. i Just hope i can get the bolts back in.

Tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
*SULK*.... almost but not quite.

Got under the car yesterday - and installed neoprene washers around the bolts - and the rattle all but went away - however this morning, when starting from cold - Its rattling again. DOH!.

The plate does seem slightly distorted - (for what reason i dont know). Do you think that replacing the plate - and also fitting the rubber washers in will help? If so, i guess its a case of removing the transmission? how tough/expensive will this be?

I will post some pics when i get under it again.

..grrr..

·
Registered
191 Posts
My solution was a little different. I wasn't putting washers under the bolts. I sandwiched rubber at 3 points around the plate - between the bolts. Anything to stop that fricking plate from ringing like a bell. Worked like a charm. It was easily the single most frustrating experience I ever had with a car. I feel for you, brother!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new user, but I replied to a similar thread a week ago with my similar experience.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-mustang-gt-tech/105921-tsb-08-03-04-2005-a.html

At the time in Dec 2005 when I experienced the problem there wasn't a TSB. The dealer did figure out that part of the flexplate was hitting the flywheel. They got some suggestion from Ford to cut a piece out of the flexplate. The dealer did this under warrenty. PM me if you want the service invoice#. Then have your dealer call my dealer to get the details of the fix.

-R

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.