Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the down pipe. When I was taking off the top 2 bolts they both broke off inside the turbo? I’m not sure what they broke off in. Is it the turbo is a connection I can replace?

Also can I even drive the car with no downpipe at all?

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

I'm not sure how the EcoBoost exhaust is configured, but anything going INTO the turbo seems like it could be catastrophic if you even cranked it over. I could be wrong though, so don't just take my word for it.

You need to call a dealer and explain you predicament. I'd have it towed to a dealer for repairs personally. Just my 2¢

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
took it around the block and it caught on fire. Literally lol some fabric guard behind down pipe caught fire. Everything is fine put it out fast. But I still can’t figure out what the part I need is called. The turbo comes together but in 2 parts, the turbo and then where is exhaust from. I broke the bolts inside of that. Anyone know what the back part of turbo is?

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
I think you are talking about the impeller-housing exhaust-flange, but I'm no expert. Pictures would help.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
That's just flange bolts. If it's accessible, you can still remove them, even if you have to drill them out.

It can be very frustrating work, I'd still consider taking it to a shop. You're lucky the car didn't get burned up. Proceed carefully.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
A repair shop is also my suggestion. You want to avoid catastrophic damage.

·
Banned
40 Posts
If you think you can EzOut them, then that's what you do. Once the
broken part threads are out, you just need new bolts. IF you mess up the
threads, then you will have to tap the holes one size up and use a slightly
larger bolt.

Stuff a rag into the opening so nothing gets in, that is what a shop would
do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts