Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently noticed my left side axle leaking different fluid.. I tried to hammer out the axle but it doesn't want to move.. now I'm thinking about replacing the rear end and upgrading to rear disk brakes .. will a 97 mustang convertible rear end work? Are the axles longer or shorter than the 90 stock..I almost forgot.. I have a 5lug setup

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 94-98 rearend assembly is slightly wider due to the fact the axle shafts are slightly longer to accommodate the disk brakes. The housing is the same width. With the 94-98 rearend 8 inch wide wheels are normally as wide as you can go without fender rolling etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok.. because I have 98 ft rims on the car right now... Which I think are 7.5

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh ok.. because I have 98 ft rims on the car right now... Which I think are 7.5
Yes then you should be fine, I'd flip the quad shocks while your in there. Also one thing to keep in mind that you'll have to upgrade the booster and master cylinder also on your car if you do the rear disc swap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
question.. im going to the junk yard soon.. which vehicles come with the larger master cylinder and booster? thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
question.. im going to the junk yard soon.. which vehicles come with the larger master cylinder and booster? thanks!
You can actually get away with the booster from 94-95 V8 or 96-04 V6 car, and master cylinder off any 94-04. Make sure to take note of what year and model you get the setup off of, so you can get the proper new hard lines from the stock prop valve up to the master cylinder. You'll also need the prop valve conversion kit, and have to actually put a adjustable prop valve under the hood, so you can dial in proper front/rear bias.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
I tried to hammer out the axle but it doesn't want to move..
:heha::heha:

you have to pop the dif cover,remove the small 5/16" bolt,slide the center pin out,push the axle IN,remove the c-clip,THEN you can slide the axle out..all without a hammer lol

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
And stop trying to hammer the axle out. There is a C-clip holding it in. Once its removed, the axle just slides out with no effort.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
beat ya to it Joe haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
:heha::heha:

you have to pop the dif cover,remove the small 5/16" bolt,slide the center pin out,push the axle IN,remove the c-clip,THEN you can slide the axle out..all without a hammer lol
:heha: I sadly didn't even read the whole couldn't get axle out part of his post. I just saw him talking about the disc swap and went to spewing answers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is my 4th time dealing with the rear end... when i removed the diff. cover i noticed a shimmery shine in the gear oil.. which indicates metal binding somewhere....i removed one axle successfully however the other side doesnt want to push in to release the c-clip... therefore im looking to replace the whole thing and meanwhile upgrade to disk brakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts