Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im still looking at possibly picking up the 65 convt basket case i mentioned a few days ago and if i go thru with it, the first thing i am looking to replace is the cross member right underneath the rear panel behind the rear window. it is the rail onto which you attach the canvas top onto and it acts as the water "trough" for run-off. by vitue of its design, it rusts away and on the car in question, it has basically disintegrated. i can tell that it also serves as a structural purpose as it runs along the width of the car, heavy gauge metal with each end welded onto a sheetmetal piece right above the convt top cylinders.

i dont know what it is officially called or if it is even available as a repro, but im hoping its not gonna be a custom piece costing more $$$.

please help me identify this piece as im sure im not the only potential owner who has dealt with this issue. the first 65 i had showed sign of deterioration, but this second car, it has basically rusted away. thanks all.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I don't believe that piece is reproduced yet. You might try the west coast for it. There's probably one junked there waiting for a purpose. I feel for ya I got a 66 that's bent up at the cowl. Not just the cowl, the whole nose of the car! but the top of the body appears good. I got some nice rear quarters for my 67 Cougar from West Coast Cougars. Maybe there's a Mustang type of salvage yard out there( Oregon).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your info...if its not available, i wont let it hinder me. i guess a stronger custom piece will be inevitable. im surprised though...for a car so loved and restored after 40 years, i can believe im the first and only with this problem in a convertible...

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Only recently ( the dynacorn body) has the interior frame pieces been introduced. Alot of small brackets and braces have never been made. Now you have me wondering how the piece is on mine.:headscratch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.