Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the dash today replacing my ignition switch and found this mounted nearby. it has a spring mounted contact that pushes up inside it. Do you know what this is for? Also, there is a wire hanging down next to it that has a connector for 3 wires. No idea what that is for either. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
The first picture is of the courtesy light. When you open the door the light comes on. There should be one on the left and right side. The bulb is apparently out. The second picture I'm not sure what you are trying to show.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
831 Posts
That second pic appears to just be another pic of the same socket.

One note: careful when you are messing with these sockets. The wire going into the top is hot, or could be hot. Especially if you have the door open. The socket itself is the ground path for the light, so it you touch that wire to the socket, you'll get a spark and blow the fuse. You might want to pull the fuse before messing with these.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That's one of two courtesy lights that are under your dash. It's activated when you open either door and the door jamb switch completes the circuit.
There is a wiring diagram section on the top of the Classic Forum page which is incredibly useful. :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
these will help you when you get in the car at night, they are your courtesy lights :bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts