Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a transmission and motor out of a 2000 GT. I bought the car totaled and never registered it so I have no records of the vin.

Monday someone broke into my house and stole only the transmission. I had been trying to sell my mustang and had one person call me about selling just the transmision. They also texted me their home address at one point while we were trying to haggle out a deal. We were unable to reach an agreement. She even offered the famous check scam at one point so I got suspicious and just stopped dealing with her.

Well yesterday I checked the mustang at the address she accidently texted to me (I mean if she was smart she would have gotten a job and earned the $500 I would have sold the trans for) and sure enough it has a B & M shifter. Now I need something for the police to positively ID that trans. The after market shifter isn't quite enough.

So that's it. I have the motor and the computer. Is there anything there I can use to trace back some identifying numbers on the trans.

I know an aluminum block will have VIN stamped above the oil pan but this only has part number. Are there any other identifying numbers on the motor or Computer I can use?

Are the last 8 of the vin stamped to the inside of the trans where it bolts to the motor? The transmission is a T-45.

I also have all the computers, steering column and dash from the 2000 if any of those will help.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
You're doing the right thing, by involving the police. I live in a pretty small town where these sort of things tend to naturally sort themself out, if ya know what I mean. I'm not so sure I would be doing the right thing, haha.

Good luck getting your stuff back. I would think that your records of prior recent communication with this individual should be enough to cast reasonable suspicion on the PD's behalf - the fact that they were recently shopping for a transmission and now (just after yours came up missing) have acquired one, with the same exact aftermarket shifter, no less, should be about 90% proof. And this can go both ways as well; for whatever burden you face of proving that it once belonged to you, asking for reasonable proof of where they got the trans from should also be considered.

Almost positive there is no VIN info on the trans that could be used to link it to your car. Only the part number buck tag, which are not unique in and of themselves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
carfax

someone has record of the VIN#. I used to work salvage vehicles for a major Ins. company. The person you bought it from, Carfax can get it for you with a license plate number. The state can track it from the previous person's name, SOMEONE has record of it. It'll take some time to find it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they have the girl in custody and her car is being towed back to town.

I can get my transmission back but now I have to pay $250 for the tow company to remove it.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
So basically you now have to spend $250, to make $250 (considering you were originally going to sell for $500)?

That sucks. I guess you gotta go get it back, just on principal, but that really sucks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
See if you can put a lien on her car , you might be able to get the entire car for the tow charge .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked the shop if they could just put a lien on the car and charge it to her and they agreed.

Now, however I am being told I have to verify the numbers in order to get it back even though they now have a confession.

I know a chip registers the vin when you use one so I am hoping the shop can pull the vin off the computer I have and that will match up.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The shop put a lien on the car to protect their interest , your claim to parts devalues that property so the shop wants you to go away . If you can't/don't register a legal claim/lien of your own then the car can be sold/liquidated without regard to your interests .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope it all gets worked out in your favor. There's nothing worse than an a horse thief..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts