Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.........I am restoring a 1967 Mustang with 289, c-4 trans. I took out the engine and trans for a rebuild, but know Im having a problem with mating the trans back up to the block. It seems like there is a 3/4 inch gap between the two units, cant seem to get it to fit flush up. Without the torque converter on the bellhousing it fits like it should. But with it in the trans it seems off some how. Im really stumped here. Is there any rule of thumb for reinstalling the converter ? I kinda thought all you had to do was make sure the splines were lined up and it slid in all the way. Also, is it better to install the trans to the block with the converter bolted to the flex plate first, or in the trans itself ?

thanks for any help,
Rich

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Take and put the torque converter on and push on it and turn it back and forth at the same time . You should feel it drop back a bit each time it engages . You cant do this with the torque converter bolted to the flexplate . It has to be done off the engine . Also be sure to put about a quart of trans fluid into the torque converter before you put it on .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.