Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got my dual exaust on about a week ago, and my main concern is that when i step out of my car there is a very strange smell by my tailpipes. My check engine light is also on but it has been on and off for like two months now. What could this really strange sound be, and also there seems to be like orange stuff inside my tailpipes (i believe) gonna go check right now and also check the oil. thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
well the orange stuff is more than likley some rust from condensation. If the smell is a burning sugery smell or there is any white exhaust coming out of the car that is a good indication of a blown head gasket. Get the code pulled and see what is turning your check engine light on

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Nur_Stang said:
Hey guys, i got my dual exaust on about a week ago, and my main concern is that when i step out of my car there is a very strange smell by my tailpipes. My check engine light is also on but it has been on and off for like two months now. What could this really strange sound be, and also there seems to be like orange stuff inside my tailpipes (i believe) gonna go check right now and also check the oil. thanks
that's normal from new pipes. it's finishing oil/chemicals that are burning off the pipes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohh ok, where can i find out what code is my "service engine light" and how much? thanks man

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Nur_Stang said:
ohh ok, where can i find out what code is my "service engine light" and how much? thanks man
wait a couple of weeks, then disconnect the battery (the chemicals can get false readings from your sensors). wait a couple of minutes, reconnect, and see if it comes up again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any authorized Ford service station should be able to pull your codes for you. If you have a regular mechanic or find one, call them and ask them if they can pull your codes. Be careful, of course, they may tell you what the problem is and then offer you the fix. Don't take the first deal that comes along. It may not be a deal at all.

BTW, what's with the Nur_stang? Sprichst du Deustch?

·
Registered
132 Posts
And on the engine light if you have a friend that has a flash tuner for a mustang or anything thats how I got mine then just went and asked what it was at the ford place.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allright well its been almost two weeks, you guys think it is still normal to smell that awkward smell still? My father just thinks it is carbon monoxide or something like that but this is only what i was describing to him over the phone he hasnt smelled it yet. Oh and Nur_Stang actually came from my old online fps clan name. It wasn't Nur_Stang but we wont go into detail (Just a tagg so they remember who owned them) lol.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Nur_Stang said:
Allright well its been almost two weeks, you guys think it is still normal to smell that awkward smell still? My father just thinks it is carbon monoxide or something like that but this is only what i was describing to him over the phone he hasnt smelled it yet. Oh and Nur_Stang actually came from my old online fps clan name. It wasn't Nur_Stang but we wont go into detail (Just a tagg so they remember who owned them) lol.

Thanks guys
you can't smell CO. It's odorless and tasteless.

Did you check underneath for something on the pipes?

What kind of muffler did you install?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not a bad idea to have a look underneath. You may find something that doesn't belong there! My old roommate had a trailer hitch installed at a Ford dealership. Whenever she started the car, you could hear the exhaust pipe banging against the harness for the hitch. When she took her car back, they actually said "we can't fix the noise, but you could put a rag or something like that in between the tailpipe and the hitch harness to make the noise stop." Just because they are pros, doesn't mean they always know what they are doing. ID-JIOTS!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MustangFahrerin said:
Not a bad idea to have a look underneath. You may find something that doesn't belong there! My old roommate had a trailer hitch installed at a Ford dealership. Whenever she started the car, you could hear the exhaust pipe banging against the harness for the hitch. When she took her car back, they actually said "we can't fix the noise, but you could put a rag or something like that in between the tailpipe and the hitch harness to make the noise stop." Just because they are pros, doesn't mean they always know what they are doing. ID-JIOTS!
On my 68, I kept smelling something, and wen't underneath - it was a garbage bag I had run over, and it had gotten wedged between teh body and the pipes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nur_Stang said:

auto zone does the check engine lite test for FRIZZEEEE. lol their tool is uiversal, so the might not be able to tell you, but for O2 readings i think they can let you know if that is your problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.