Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Ford racing Plenum cover and I am not sure which way to mount it? At the mounting points, my car has studs with nuts on them. When I try to take the nut off, the studs come out as well? Is this right, or should I find nuts that will fit and leave the stud alone. :headscratch:

·
Registered
338 Posts
you are correct. Leave the studs alone and use new nuts to mount on the cover to the studs

I bought a Ford racing Plenum cover and I am not sure which way to mount it? At the mounting points, my car has studs with nuts on them. When I try to take the nut off, the studs come out as well? Is this right, or should I find nuts that will fit and leave the stud alone. :headscratch:

·
Registered
312 Posts
You need to leave the studs and nuts as they are. The new cover should have a rubber grommet at each hole, they slide on to the studs, covering the nuts. The rest of the cover is held in place with the right and left harness retainers. The studs with nuts are needed on the 05 and 06, 07 and up should already have these studs in place.

CK

·
Registered
338 Posts
he already said that he has the studs with the nuts already there. he needs 2 extra nuts to hold on the front of the cover. I did this exact thing to my non cover equipped 07 and this is what I did. went to home depot and for stainless nuts. simple.

You need to leave the studs and nuts as they are. The new cover should have a rubber grommet at each hole, they slide on to the studs, covering the nuts. The rest of the cover is held in place with the right and left harness retainers. The studs with nuts are needed on the 05 and 06, 07 and up should already have these studs in place.

CK

·
Registered
312 Posts
It sounded like he was removing the nuts to install. You can add extra nuts if you want Ford does not use them.

CK

·
Registered
338 Posts
if that is true, your correct. Extra nuts are needed

It sounded like he was removing the nuts to install. You can add extra nuts if you want Ford does not use them.

CK

·
Registered
75 Posts
if that is true, your correct. Extra nuts are needed
NO NO NO!!! You do NOT need extra nuts. Just put the cover on over the studs. No NUTS need to hold it in place. I have one for 18 months with no problems. It is not going to come off. The wire harness holds along the fuel rail will hold it in place.

·
Registered
338 Posts
go to Home depot and spend .35 for the 2 front nuts. Do it right..

·
Registered
812 Posts
go to Home depot and spend .35 for the 2 front nuts. Do it right..
wait waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ? how would this thing come off ? its not like its mounted on top the hood its under it , it slides over the front two bolts then the little rubber grommets hold it to the top of the intake manifold i have been running mine like that for over a year and at 135+ mph .......

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
whatever.. maybe you should be driving a Honda :gringreen

wait waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ? how would this thing come off ? its not like its mounted on top the hood its under it , it slides over the front two bolts then the little rubber grommets hold it to the top of the intake manifold i have been running mine like that for over a year and at 135+ mph .......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ford makes a special mounting nut for those front two studs. I wanted mine to look original so I ordered them. If you are interested I will get you the part number. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
that would be cool coastie. Thanks..

Ford makes a special mounting nut for those front two studs. I wanted mine to look original so I ordered them. If you are interested I will get you the part number. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts

You are right. It won't come off without the extra nuts. However, the nuts and washers give it a finished look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that would be cool coastie. Thanks..
That part number is W520411S437, they come in a package of four.
They do come on the 2008's and 9's that are factory equiped with the cover. Someone said they were not required. It might not come off without them, but mine would wiggle around. I try to do things the right way. ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here is a picture of mine if it helps. It was stock with the Appearance Package. Sorry it's not a closeup but you're right it has rubber grommets and a nut on the front two.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
my father in law has an 08 GT with the factory cover and it sure does have the 2 front and the 2 rear nuts from the factory...

That part number is W520411S437, they come in a package of four.
They do come on the 2008's and 9's that are factory equiped with the cover. Someone said they were not required. It might not come off without them, but mine would wiggle around. I try to do things the right way. ;)

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
This mod is on my christmas list as well :)

Did you get the regular silver one or a powdercoated one?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This mod is on my christmas list as well :)

Did you get the regular silver one or a powdercoated one?

I chose the silver grey stock type from Ford Racing. I don't vary to far away from OE when I do any upgrades. It is a preference. I have seen powdercoated that looked great, just not for me. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.