Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will cobra r rims that are 17x9 all the way around (front and back) fit on a 89 mustang 5.0 lx?? i dont know the back spacing on the rims yet but i am going to find out in a little while when i call the company. i just dont want to have major rubbing issues when i do put them on...and the tires that are going on these rims are 245/45/17.plz help me with this i have posted several times without any answers on this...i am getting the rims off of ebay..and i want to order them SOON but need to know this stuff before i do so.i belive the outer diameter of the stock tires on there right now are only 2 inches smaller than the new tires i am going to put on there.is that an issue???and what about the width??thanks for any help on this!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
from what i know, yes they will fit, as long as you get the 4 lug versions. ive seen them on LX's before. i may be getting some as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply man. well i think i am going to get the wheel and tire combo from ebay.i will come out cheeper that way and i also called the company and they said they will fit perfect.no rubbing or anything....so i guess im good but any more help would be appreciated.and since i am getting the tire combo the tires will actually be 255/40/zr17's.does that sound good?..check out the wheels on ebay .great prices.brand new and all.just search for 93 mustang wheels.im getting all 4 wheels and tires for 739.00 + 139.00 shipping.thanks again man

·
Registered
654 Posts
lx rims

i have stock "10 holes" lx rims on my car and with 235 65 15's the tires scrub the frame when i turn hard. also i believe in 91 they put on different fenders for the 16 inch pony's to fit .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do you think these rims and tires will be a major issue?like i said i belive the new rims and tires are only 2 inches taller than the stock ones that are on there right now.and if i had to guess about 2 inches wider.o and i found out that the offset on these wheels are 5.75.i am going to order these wheels next weekend so any more help on if this will work will be appreciated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Would these happen to be from AFSwheels.com?
If so, that is where I bought mine and they fit fine on my '91.
Some differences vs. your setup: I went with a 5 lug conversion (not as expensive as you would think (~$300 max), plus greater variety of wheels possible)
I too was concerned with tire rub up front so to remove guesswork I just bought the 17x8 for the fronts. Plus my personal preference was the 9" wide in the front looks stupid on our Fox bodies. But just for $hits and giggles I checked the width and I had plenty of room. I think it also depends on the steering rack you installed (I have a flaming river manual) so that could be why.
for the front they are +12mm backspacing
for the rear they are +24mm backspacing
front tires: 245/45 ZR-17
rear tires: 275/40 ZR-17 (not too wide but enough to look good!)
Check my gallery to see them installed.

Good luck, I know I was sweating bullets after I ordered mine hoping that all the research I did was worth it (spent about a month on this topic) and it turns out I was fine and Im sure you will be too.
(I might even step up to the 10.5 inch rear wheel they sell :eyepoppin )

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you do the math:
New Rim/Tire Combo ((255 x .45) x 2) / 25.3) + 17 = 26.8" Tall Overall
Stock Rim/Tire Combo ((225 x .60) x 2) / 25.3) + 15 = 25.7" Tall Overall

Your new tire will be 1.1" Taller than stock. You may have a little clearence issue if you lower your car. When they told you that the combo would work, they where assuming that you have a stock supension. It is a gamble! I have seen many on the forms that have had it work for them though.

I am going to get 17x8s for the front and 17x9s for the rear with 255/40zr17s.
((255 x .40) x 2) / 25.3) + 17 = 25" Tall Over all. So I am going to be close to stock height with my combo.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
nah i think hes getting them from OE Wheels. they sell wheel tire package for like 749 + 139 shipped.

i think his problem with the 10 holes is offset, thats why they rub with such large tires. youll be good man dont worry. go for and post some pics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea im getting them from oe wheels and they only sell the 17x9's all the way around.do you guys think they are going to look stupid on the front?? and turns out i ordered my fiberglass hood with a 4'' cowl insted of the wheels for now.that way i could do some more research on these wheels to make sure they will fit.wich i think they will.i will probably be ordering the wheels in a month for sure but realisticly more like around 2 weeks.but i will post pics and let yall know how it turns out for sure.so any way what do you guys think about the 17x9's all the way around?and does anyone have any pics of some mustangs with a 4'' cowl hood??

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is what my car looked like with the 4" cowl on it. The hood is coming off in the spring and going back to stock. The 4" was just a little too much for my taste, I may go with a 2.5" or a Stormin Normin.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the pics man i was lookin 4 some.,,,i jus wanted to see what the hood looks like...after i bought it...lol makes sense right??...but yea it looks good and ill be happy with it...thanks man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.