Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we got the 'vert back from the dealership where the transmission was replaced. My wife noticed as soon as she started the car up that it didn't sound the same. I've been on pretty healthy doses of vicodin all week for a cystectomy I just had so I didn't notice until this morning when she left for work. It sounds more muffled and not nearly as loud now. Has anyone ever heard of a reputable dealership swapping mufflers on them? I hate to think that one of the most reputable dealers in this area doing something like this, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause this. Right now I'm so freakin PO'd I want to drive up there and start slappin people until I find out what they did to my ride. Any advice on what I should do would be awesome guys.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
what if, while putting car on hoist, they collapsed part of the exhaust?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I eyeballed the exhaust as much as I could from kneeling beside it the day we picked it up and didn't notice anything, but I'll see if I can talk my buddy into crawling under to see if there's any damage that i missed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you registered a complaint with the manager? The sooner you do so, the better you will be if and when you decide to visit their shop for satisfaction.

Call the guy on the phone and tell him just what you told us. See if he has a reply. Once he feigns ignorance, go out and prove otherwise.

If he did unauthorized work to your car without charging you, he has an obligation to fess up. If he doesn't when confronted, he digs the hole deeper, legally. They quite possibly caused some trouble with your exhaust, and attempted to repair it w/out letting you know.

If you wait too long to lodge a complaint, you may legally make it impossible to be made whole.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't filed a complaint yet because as of yet I haven't found anything physical to file a complaint on. I may have to go near the wife's work later this afternoon, if I do, then I'll switch vehicles with her so I can get a real close look under the car and make sure nothing was pinched or swapped by the shop. As soon as I find something concrete to file a complaint on, I'll do it immediately.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm more intrested in the fact that your wife noticed a different exhaust note and complained that it was'nt loud enough anymore...lucky man you are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
??

Did you have the cats removed before you took it in. I know a lot of places are required by law to put cats back on a car that does not have them before they can work on them. That is my best guess, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mid pipe has cats on it, so by federal law I'm fine. I got the car up on the ramps and I got a good look underneath. All the pipes are fine and not crushed. I did find a couple of leaks. The flange just foreward of the mufflers wasn't made up right. The whole thing is hanging so low that the bottom side of the flanges aren't mating up right. I can fix that myself. That just leaves the rattles in the rear end to fix. I have no clue what could cause rattling back there. The heat shields on the cats have been removed bacuse they were rattling after we got it installed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So, are you now saying that the service center did nothing wrong to your exhaust? I'm confused. In your original post, you sounded like you were ready for violence against the tranny shop for mucking your exhaust.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm saying they didn't damage it. They just didn't reassemble it correctly. The very foremost part of the cat back is hanging so low that the angle created for that flange is so big, the bottom edge of the flange doesn't make up, so I have 2 exhaust leaks now. One on each pipe. It's nothing major to fix, just loosening 4 bolts and raising the whole deal up where it needs to be and then tightening the bolts again. It just aggravates me that a trained Ford technician couldn't even hang an exhaust correctly, but me being the shadetree mechanic can pick it out in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check this out...

After I got rear ended by a woman (DWM), I took it into Evergreen Auto Body in Issaquah, WA. They did great work- you can't even tell it's been crunched. The exhaust had to be taken into the dealer. The dealer then swapped out both exhausts- the kicker is when I got it back both the cutouts on the tailpipes didn't match. After having them re-order several times because we could never get them to match, they told me Ford doesn't sell them in pairs, and that each tailpipe is cut differently. I said "bull****". The service manager even called back to Detroit, and asked them about that, Ford said 'yep, that's true'. I said "bull****". Why, then, when I bought my car both cutouts were exactly the same?" No answer. "You sell dual exhaust Mustangs, so you're telling me none of these tailpipe cutouts match up?" No answer. I had to go to a muffler shop and have them recut the pipes to the correct match. :sterb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.